View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Memnon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Noob query regarding CTD

Hi to everyone.
Just a quick question on the CTD bug that has been much discussed. I got the game recently (and have enjoyed it very much) but this bug is extremely infuriating. Most people have advised getting the patch, but there is a big problem with that - I don't have internet access at home, only at work. Seeing as downloading a patch at work and burning it onto CD is very much against company policy, what other options do I have? Does anyone have a mailing address I can write to and request a copy of the patch on CD? Are the game producers responsible for ensuring that all game owners get a copy of the patch?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Seeing as I'm just starting out is it worthwhile me getting Tribunal yet or should I wait until I am well into the basic game?
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:35 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ehhhh...

Sorry, the world just isn't designed for those without Internet access these days!

I'm afraid a patch is not a required part of a game (no matter how critical its effects), so Bethesda have no responsibility to get a patch to you. However, if you email them (from work!) and ask them they may send you a CD anyway.

HOWEVER, getting Tribunal will be by far the fastest way to sort this problem out. It patches the game up to something like version 1.3, which will definitely be an improvement over 1.0.
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:55 pm
Memnon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Cheers dude, I've asked for Tribunal from my girlfriend and should have it by next week. No more crashes here we come!
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:29 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Cool

..however, the one problem there may be is if the particular CTD you're experiencing isn't fixed in the latest patches! While most people seem to have either no or very few problems now, I doubt they've caught everything. However, there's a very good chance that after installing Tribunal any chronic problems will totally go away.

Good luck!
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:57 pm
vaticide
Put food in here
Put food in here

My CTD problems didn't subside (well, almost completely gone) until the patch AFTER Tribunal. With just Morrowind and Tribunal installed I got frequent CTDs. Now that I have version 1.41313 I have almost zero CTDs.

As for how to get the patch, I'm sure there is some nice person on the board you could trust to mail you the patch burned onto a cd if you send them the money for shipping.

-vaticide
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:59 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by vaticide
... Now that I have version 1.41313 I have almost zero CTDs.

The 1.4 patch never directly meant to solve the CTD problem, as same as all previous patches. They did specifically cover some memory leaks issues, which can contributes to the CTD, but not the "prone to crash" of the game itself. Only some peoples able solve the CTD with patch (can't explain why), some with no change, and for some CTD became even more frequent. Believe me, i spent 4 hours reading through several big threads about CTD at official forums but find no ultimate solution.

Anyway Memnon, it's also good to try out the small 518K 1.4 patch, i suggest download it at cybercafe (just be wary of virus) if you have no internet connection yet.
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:59 pm