Dungeon Lords: Patch 1.4 Update @ Official Site
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Dungeon Lords: Patch 1.4 Update @ Official Site

While it's technically an update, <a href="http://www.dreamcatchergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25665" target="_blank">this</a> post from Dreamcatcher's Byron Gaum on a v1.4 patch for 'Dungeon Lords' doesn't have anything new to say:<blockquote><em>Hi Everyone: <br> <br>I just wanted to let everyone know that we are still working hard on the 1.4 update. We have been diligently testing the update as the developer continues to add as much content as possible. Unfortunately, we can't solidify an absolute release date just yet. Rest assured, we are trying to place as much content as we can into this update and we'll try to get it out to everyone as quickly as possible. <br> <br>Thank you for your continued patience.</em></blockquote>Thanks, Poot.
Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:57 am
XVampireX
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I think they should call it quits and get going on a new game that hopefully, won't disappoint us as much. It's a shame, really... The game could have been a very good game, they didn't take much time to work on the game and instead wanted to release the game as soon as possible.

This is what happens when people either concentrate on more than 2 projects at the same time, or just very poor project management. I guess, in this case, it was the latter.
Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:25 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by XVampireX
I think they should call it quits and get going on a new game that hopefully, won't disappoint us as much..

I have to disagree, I haven't played the game yet and am eagerly awaiting 1.4 The fact that they haven't abandoned the game earns them a lot of credit in my book. 1.4 is addressing the 2 main outstanding issues in the game most had - character customisation and lack of detail in the world. What else needs to be fixed may i ask? The combat system you say? Here's hoping for a 1.5
Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:35 am
Dhruin

Honestly, there's too much that needs fixing to remember it all. Simple things like having all the spells and skills work would be a nice start but to achieve a good game, you'd have to throw it all out and start again. Stuff like NPCs, side quests, a dialogue system (or anything other than clicking every option in order), different terrain and furniture would be nice for the atmosphere, some actual choices, a completely different character development system, meaningful encounters, interesting characters. Ok, I'm bored - that will do. If HP ever releases another game, I'll eat my hat.
Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:48 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

I am with Dhruin on that. They don't have to fix it - they would have to finish it. I have played the game for app. 15 hours when it was published and with 1.2 applied, and that was enough time for me to see that no further patch will be able to make this game worthwhile. This is so - empty, in every respect.
Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:05 am
vid

They didnīt had the time/money/will/talent to get it right the first few rounds (delays + patches), so why do you think that suddenly all that changes and they will produce a practically "NEW" game with a patch?
thats not gonna happen.

they should focus on getting the primary things right, like a good development team and enough money from a trusthworthy publisher (yeah, right) and start a completely new game from scratch in which bradley should REALLY merge the gameplay of his older "good" games (wizardry) and maybe the "action fighting" (which was "ok") of dungeonlords to attract more people.
but, alas thats also not gonna happen.
Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:08 am

quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
I am with Dhruin on that. They don't have to fix it - they would have to finish it. I have played the game for app. 15 hours when it was published and with 1.2 applied, and that was enough time for me to see that no further patch will be able to make this game worthwhile. This is so - empty, in every respect.

Which is what I noticed when I played the demo. Also, reading reviews was enough to make up my mind not to buy the "final" product.

Mind you, bugs cannot prevent me from spending my time on games of my liking. In fact, I bought all Troika games and have never regretted it. I wouldn't have hesitated to spend my time on Boiling Point only if I had been convinced that it would work on my machine. However, DL "smelled" wrong.

I feel sorry for both of the developers and fans who spent their time on it. That said, I think it is high time to let it go. If the developers have talents at all, then, they should be moving on. Sticking to the crap (if I have to tell this) doesn't make things more constructive.
Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 pm

araczynski
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

tastes are relative, i finished the game on the 1.3 patch, and personally enjoyed the whole experience much more then the one hour i (loathingly) spent on a friend's SWKOTOR2. to me whatever polish SWKOTOR2 had didn't matter as i coudln't stand the story/atmosphere. as rought as DL was, it was at least something unique. they did screw their customers no doubt, but i think if one was old enough not to be wearing a diaper anymore (or act like it) one would have found it to be a mildly entertaining game.
Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:21 pm

quote:
Originally posted by araczynski
tastes are relative, i finished the game on the 1.3 patch, and personally enjoyed the whole experience much more then the one hour i (loathingly) spent on a friend's SWKOTOR2. to me whatever polish SWKOTOR2 had didn't matter as i coudln't stand the story/atmosphere. as rought as DL was, it was at least something unique. they did screw their customers no doubt, but i think if one was old enough not to be wearing a diaper anymore (or act like it) one would have found it to be a mildly entertaining game.

If you tried to insult me, it is Obsidian who dealt with that work not Troika although I have never thought that they are mature, which is what they would admit. Also, your reaction itself less convincing that you yourself don’t need diaper or what you think appropriate for your image of adulthood.

To be fair, I couldn't touch the story at all, though. Then again, your reaction itself makes me rather off from the game. The problem is that this is my true feeling without any diplomacy. Recently, I increasingly began to feel that FPS gamers are much more mature than their RPG counter parts, which is striking since I think myself as RPG players. This is exactly reason why I cannot simply leave this thread, dismissing your reaction
Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:56 pm

txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by araczynski
tastes are relative, i finished the game on the 1.3 patch, and personally enjoyed the whole experience much more then the one hour i (loathingly) spent on a friend's SWKOTOR2. .

That is nice - but irrelevent. The discussion is not about whether or not it is possible to have fun in Dungeon Lords - I had fun - but whether or not patching is the answer.

I think it is a mixed bag - on the one hand it is better to patch up to a point to get as much performance and functionality into the game.

On the other hand, there is a ton of stuff that is just missing, that can never be objectively expected to be included in the game. So the game will never be done, never meet the basic promise it laid out, never provide the value for the experience of playing.

That doesn't mean that you cannot have fun, but it does mean that Dungeon Lords is one of - if not *the* - worst launch debacles in gaming history ... and at what point do we all just walk away from trying to make it something it isn't.

I was a big advocate of the game, and I had fun playing it through - struggling as a mage, no less. But I'm done, and can't go back.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:16 pm
Wolfie_

Re: Dungeon Lords 4th patch

Guys, the horse is dead, no point flogging it anymore, it's not going to suddenly get up and walk again! (a sad, sad outcome, but there it is).

Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:26 pm

Lucky Day

I think its clear the too early release for the game was to get some quick cash to actually finish it.
Post Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:08 pm

Hypatiae

Logic or Lack Thereof

"I have to disagree, I haven't played the game yet..."

"...and am eagerly awaiting 1.4 The fact that they haven't abandoned the game earns them a lot of credit in my book."

"1.4 is addressing the 2 main outstanding issues in the game most had - character customisation and lack of detail in the world."

"What else needs to be fixed may i ask? The combat system you say? Here's hoping for a 1.5"

Incomprehensible.
Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:59 am

bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Re: Logic or Lack Thereof

quote:
Originally posted by Hypatiae
Incomprehensible.

Care to elaborate?

quote:
Originally posted by vid
They didnīt had the time/money/will/talent to get it right the first few rounds (delays + patches), so why do you think that suddenly all that changes and they will produce a practically "NEW" game with a patch?
thats not gonna happen..

Not with a single patch but they have already released 4 patches and what is stopping a 5th? What else do you think needs to be improved?
Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:53 am
txa1265
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Re: Logic or Lack Thereof

quote:
Originally posted by bjon045
Not with a single patch but they have already released 4 patches and what is stopping a 5th? What else do you think needs to be improved?

Let's see, here are a few:
- The game world is empty
- Arinvale is a dead city
- There are *no* side quests
- The magic system is half-implemented, and basically broken.
- The combat system needs significant tweaking.
- Dialog tree and system.
- Skill balancing.

Probably my worst realization at the end of the game was ... The plot ... is weak, and that even if everything else was there this would only be a 80% game at best.

Mike

Check out my blog.
Post Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:27 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next