Usergroups
Series of big disappointments. SPOILER
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Divine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

OMG! I knew the end of the game was disappointing, but I did not know that it was just terrible. Now that I have beaten Gothic, I just have to say: What?..
1. Artos and Scar were just kittens, with 2-3 bolts they were memory. Very discouraging.
2. Next opponent, Torus, died instanteniously.
3. Two bolts and there is no Gomez. Crap!

When going into the OC I expected a fierce fight, bolts flying in all directions, swords swinging. But instead I just walked around shooting scattered guards.

4. Cor Kalom did no damage to me at all, only annoyed me. My army of darkness disabled him while I finished the crazy novices one after another. The deamon lords were kittens too.

Please do not take me wrong: Gothic was the greatest game I ever played. But games that are so easy to beat leave a taste of emptiness. The game developers simply have no right to fool us. Another recent disappointment was Soul Reaver. At the end I sat with my mouth open wide and the words 'WTF?'

I contend there may be no 'happy end' for the real time strategy, but for gods sake not for the RPG!!! This was my role and it had to be the role of a hero, savior of the colony. Instead they made a murderer of me and gave no reward at the end. Too bad.
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 2:30 am
the COOH
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

The end WAS bad! When I stabbed the last heat, and the end movie played, I couldn't believe it.

I decided to make it a little more challenging. I made sure that the sleeper was awake and I dropped down to a much lower armor, and decided to rush the whole lot of them! With the combination of Cor kalom using pyrokinesis, the sleeper throwing fireballs, and the crazed swamp guys slashing at me...I died a few times. But it at least felt like a REAL fight.

It's ashamed that I had to handicap my self just to make it a good fight. I really hope they fix this in Gothic 2.

Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 3:05 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

True the ending was a disappointment, but this was only PB's first release. They were bound to make some mistakes. I have confidence that they'll do much better with Gothic 2.

Divine: I agree, Soul Reaver could have had a much better ending. Have you played Soul Reaver 2 yet? I wonder if that will actually have an ending instead of a big "...to be continued".
I say it just
Begins to live
That day.

[ This Message was edited by: Val on 2002-03-07 21:17 ]
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 3:14 am
Divine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Val
Cool picture!

=added=
I mean, I played Soul Reaver 2. I new it had to be a sequel to SR but never played SR. So I decided that SR2 should have been complete as regards to a plot.

[ This Message was edited by: Divine on 2002-03-07 21:25 ]
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 3:19 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Thank you
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 3:24 am
Grifter
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Then again...like Xardas says, you're the most powerful member of the colony by the time you get the ore armor. I rather liked traipsing in and taking down Gomez with one massive two-hand axe combo. And you are sort of a Jesus figure by the time the plot unfolds...all that "savior of the colony" business and whatnot. You know how it is

As far as the final vid went, I thought it was just dandy. I mean, "But the story was just beginning!" It's almost campy, and in that, it's entertaining. And just THINK of the SEQUEL! *swoon*
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 3:53 am
Grifter
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Oh...and, Val, I love the new pic!
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 3:55 am
Grifter
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gah. Just noticed that someone else just said that. Grumble. Well, it was an original thought in MY head!
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 3:58 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Thanks Grifter
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 4:10 am
ffbj
High Emperor
High Emperor

So true. I went in with 5 stone Golems. I know that's overkill but I wanted to get it over with. You can also pierce the two hearts on the ends without getting Cor Kalom's speach. Then it's a cake walk to get the last three. Though it was kind of amusing watching the Golems bounce the novices around.
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 4:33 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Near the end it was easy. Okay. Not much of a challenge. But it still was a lot of fun. The ore armor enabled me to beat up people in OC in chapter 5 without killing anyone, that felt great.

I felt a bit bad for Stone, though, when all the unarmed guards and ore barons started to chase him all across the courtyard, but he was immortal, so no real harm was done. I hope.

=EDIT= Soul Reaver 1, right, a comparably open ending. I have SR 2 here on my desk, it's been there since last December, but it doesn't run on my machine, probably has an issue with XP. Too funny since they state it WILL run under XP - on the Summoner casket they state it probably WON'T, but so far it worked just fine. Well.

[ This Message was edited by: Jaz on 2002-03-07 23:52 ]
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 5:49 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Ya' know, I hear this about the ending of EVERY game! The end of Gothic was no different than the end of most action films, which makes it fine with me. The entertainment industry has always used a successful product to sell the next product, no big! No-one lied to you, you played a great game all the way through, you must have gotten something out of it. I don't finish most games, (most recently Wizardry but I finished Gothic, it was fine!

About how difficult it is, so what, it's easy at the end. I think you've earned it, since it's so oppressively hard at the beginning. I nearly quit because it was so hard. At first I was having more fun watching my landlord play than I was playing it myself. I'm glad I stuck with it, though, I felt a growing sense of accomplishment through the ENTIRE game. It was wonderful, I felt so empowered at the end, when I was the toughest thing inside the barrier. It was a ton of work to get there, but that just made it so much sweeter!

And for me, I LIKE my hero invincible! I SO prefer the Steven Segal "you never shoulda come here" hero to the JCVD "oops I won by luck" type.

In my opinion, (and that's all it is ) Gohtic did everything just right. Peace.
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 4:20 pm
Divine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Gig
I have to disagree. There are many games where the end is rewarding. And it is not necessary to produce so much frustration to guarantee sales of the sequel, it is enough to inuendo the next turn, tip on the continuation of the story... Do you think that if the hero destroyed the barrier and the first person he met was the messenger from the king, saying that there is another great danger - would it spoil the success of the future remake? I do not think so. Or it he was told that now the mages can remove the barrier? There are many ways to to lure the customers into buying the next version without pissing them off. For me the game was just interrupted.

I have no problems with ease of the end - yes, youre right, you've earned by working your way up. Everything was right: armor, weapons and magic. And some 25000 ore will be worth something in the outside world, what do you think? :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: Divine on 2002-03-08 13:06 ]
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 6:59 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I loved this game. Actually, it's the game I loved most since Daggerfall (the ending of which I never saw). I plyed hundreds of games, most of them to the very end, and if I liked the game I felt a little bit empty and hollowed out after the ending sequence. In this case, though, I felt empty during the end FMV, a feeling I definitely didn't like. It didn't ruin the game for me, though.

The three most rewarding endings I remember were those of Deus Ex, especially my initial - and natural - choice.
"We'll bring you the light."

Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 7:09 pm
Divine
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

And by the way, now I know one thing for sure that makes Gothic better than any other RPG and even 3d person shooter on the market. It is that if you do not do anything stupid, you can beat the game without byting the dust. This makes it feel very realistic. The second time around I died only once, when I took on 3 fire lizards from a short distance. Kinda stupid, isn't it?
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 7:11 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next