Will Morrowind run on my system?

Will Morrowind run on my system:
Athlon 700mhz
384mb RAM
GeForce 256.
Or will it be really choppy?
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 11:42 am

Guest Dare

It'll probably run, but I imagine it would be pretty choppy.
Morrowind is one of the best looking games around and takes some good hardware to really make it look its best.
If you want to play it I would recommend at least a Geforce 3 card so you have the pixel shading effects for the water.
Your processor and RAM are ...a little on the low side but with a good graphics card can probably get the job done.

So I guess my answer is you need better hardware if you want to 'enjoy' the game.
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:38 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I have nearly same system
800 mhz Athlon
GForce 2 GTS (overlocked for MW)
256 MB SDRAM

Morrowind run fine (at least for me), looks very very nice and I really like it.

You have a little bit slower CPU and older GPU, but I think it will run pretty well.
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:55 pm

It runs fine on my one pc with a Geforce 256 and celeron 500, maybe a little choppy but generally playable I'd say, got 512 megs in it and 2x celeron 500 dunno if it takes advantage of more than one cpu though tumdidum
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 1:12 pm

Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Its the OS that takes advantage of more than one CPU so as long as you are using an OS that supports it then yes it does.

A Gefore 2 GTS is not the same as a Geforce 256. I think you will get VERY choppy performance on your system with just that card, and as I am sure you have read the game is VERY CPU intensive.

With your current specs I think you will be able to put up with the choppiness indoors, the wilderness will get quite bad though and you will be lucky to get 2-3fps in busy towns.
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 1:23 pm

not always entirly true, I think you can run win2k data server with 16 cpus and still not get more use of those cpus running doom

there must be some support for it in the application too, it being multithreaded first of all would be of much help.

Unreal states it takes advantage of more than one cpu on multi cpu oses, but only one cpu for each server you run, ie if you run 1 dedicated unreal server on a box with more tahn one cpu it will only use one.

And the q3a engine has a special option to enable smp in game, still the os has to support it for it to work first

There's no way you can run a dual cpu system with win9x and hope that the smp function in q3a will work.
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 1:45 pm

Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I stand corrected.
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 1:56 pm

hm, we could figure it out! ny program that monitors which thread runs on what cpu under win2k? I'm not bored or anything

just curious, cause the morrowind process runs 11 threads, I could try run it on my other puter and see what threads run on which cpu that would give us the answer hehe

and it would tell us if it would be useful to run mw on a dual xeon 3GHz or something like that or just a waste of cash

what was the original topic again?
Post Sat Jun 08, 2002 4:45 pm

Re: Will Morrowind run on my system?

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Will Morrowind run on my system:
Athlon 700mhz
384mb RAM
GeForce 256.
Or will it be really choppy?

I have the same graphics and CPU as you, but only 256MB RAM. Runs fine on my machine - can seem a little choppy at times, but well worth putting up with if the alternative is *not* playing Morrowind!
Post Wed Jun 12, 2002 1:37 am