Best of the Best
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
LORD_LSD
City Guard
City Guard

Time is relative, so you can make more of it if you really want to
BTW, forgot to mention, JA 2 Deidranna lives & Urban Chaos (once it's done) are free to dl - just in case someone didn't know that allready.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:21 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think I classify myself as an RPer only because Fallouts are in my top 3 of all times. Elite would be there as well, for sentimental reasons.

I don't think there is a game that I played more than Fallout 2 (perhaps one of those MMORPGs but that doesn't count).

If we allow MMORPGs in this category, I'd like to nominate AO as well. I always had a love-hate relationship with that game, but I have to admit, no game before or after took my breath away as much as it did. I used to have photo albums from AO. Everywhere I went I'd take loads and loads of screenshots. And would actually peruse them later... I know it's twisted and perverted, but damn that game was beautiful. Nothing else going on for it, but damn it was beautiful. I think one of the most memorable moments from any game was in AO, when I... ahem, my character... went swimming with someone he met. Under a large waterfall, during a beautiful sunset. That was so amazing...
Post Thu Jun 20, 2002 12:28 am
Gothmog
Village Leader
Village Leader

Best of it's time:Wiz6
Best of all time: the next one I play
Post Thu Jun 20, 2002 1:11 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Best in its time, would clearly be every Ultima, especially 4 thru 7b (Serpents Isle) They set the standard with each new game. Underworld 1&2 would likely come a close second, with a passing reference to both Bards Tale and Wizardry.
Best all time for my money, is Planescape Torment. A close second would probably be Fallout.
I'm surprised no-one suggested one of my all time favourite games, though I don't classify it as a pure RPG. System Shock. That is still one incredible game.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:34 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Best RPG of its time: Wow, that's a catchy question... Every "time" has its best RPG, right? But for argument's sake, I would say Ultima IV. U4 was probably the most daring game in RPG history, very innovative as well, even by today's standards. A game that is not based on saving the world, OR defeating an arch nemesis? Wow!

Best RPG of ALL time: eeep! That's hard... But I guess I would have to say Planescape: Torment. The concept, the gameplay, the characters, the story... I could go on, but almost everything in that game was perfect, which makes you wonder how come it didn't have more of a comercial success than it did. But if you like RPGs, do yourself a favour and pick this one up!
Runner ups: Ultima series in its entirety (except for U9...), and Darklands.
Post Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:47 pm
TheRaven
Village Leader
Village Leader

best RPG of its time - older: Realms of Arkania 2
best RPG of its time - newer: Wizardry 8

best RPG of all time I won't choose yet 'cause I have "only" 9 years of RPG-experience...in my opinion one should consider 20years or so for that
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 1:42 pm
BearishSun
City Guard
City Guard

Best of all the time: Gothic and Morrowind, gothic 2 gonna beat them all
best of its time: JA2 of course

Like many here im gothic addict aswell. Hell of game, great story, only it should be little longer and bigger, thats why its sharing the first place with morrowind. BTW when will gothic 2 be released?
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 2:53 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

You might look in the Gothic 2 forum here on RPGDot for news - or check GothicDot from time to time (the RPGDot hosted site dedicated to Gothic).

So far, release is planned for October.
Post Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:03 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3