How to 'use' items. I must be going crazy
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

How to 'use' items. I must be going crazy

I know I've been away from MW for a while, but I seem to have forgotten how to 'use' items. I thought it was the Left Mouse Button, but I've pressed it and nothing's happening. I can't unlock a door (yes, I have a lockpick) or use my sword I've just installed "Bloodmoon" and the patch - surely that wouldn't have anything to do with it?
I can't believe this.
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:15 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I'm not sure if my config is the original one, but I think so... in Morrowind you open doors with the space bar. To lockpick a door, you need to go to your inventory (right mouse button for me), search your lockpick, pull it onto your paperdoll to equip it, get back to the world with another right mouse click, ready the lockpick with F just like you would a weapon, and then use it with a left mouse click. It's the same with combat, you ready your weapon with F and fight with the left mouse button.

Besides, you can always look into your control configuration to see which button does what.
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:27 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Yep. 100% correct, Jaz.

Having a fling with MW, Sherrin? Don't worry- Wiz8 will take you back with open arms.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:23 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Yes, I've done the paperdoll bit - with both a lockpick and weapon - then pressed 'F' (and every other dammed key on the keyboard just to make sure) then the LMB but NOTHING's happened. That's why I thought I'd check here. I thought I was going crazy Nice to know I wasn't. I wonder what's wrong? Damm another uninstall and reinstall coming I suppose.
I tried Wiz 8 and hated it The controls were so crap I never got out of the house at the beginning.
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:37 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I thought you made it deeper into Wiz8. Oh well.

You ARE putting the targetting crosshairs on the chest/door you want to unlock when you left click with the lockpick, right? Not trying to insult you or anything, but your problem seems quite unusual.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:10 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

LOL. Yeah I'm doing the cross-hairs bit It's not just the lockpick, that's where I first discovered it wasn't working. So I went up to some prat and tried to wack him with my sword, still nothing, plus I got beat half to death. I'm in Mournhold (Trib) btw.
At least I tried Wiz 8. I may go back and have another go - but I doubt it. If a game doesn't grab in the first 15 mins then.....................
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 11:18 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Does pressing F ready the item? Can you see your character's arm appearing in front of you holding the weapon or lockpick? If it does not, enter the menus and rebind the key - it must have changed at some point.

If the item is being readied correctly, I take it clicking the left mouse button doesn't do anything? No animation of the arm, and no effect on the world? Enter the menus and rebind it.

If neither of these fix the problem, then something seems wrong somewhere. Can you cast any magic?
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:44 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

YAYAYYY!!!!!!!!!!! I got it sussed. I had to do a bit of muckin about with the controls. Whew!!! All is well now in MW
Post Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:45 am
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Sherrin
I tried Wiz 8 and hated it The controls were so crap I never got out of the house at the beginning.

LOL, thats good stuff. I wish my life where so difficult I would be unable to leave my house some mornings. Thats funny though, did you try jumping out of the window, climbing the chimmey, using a spoon to tunnel your way to freedom?
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:30 pm