Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
A couple of questions and a comment or two about Gothic II..
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

A couple of questions and a comment or two about Gothic II..

I just played the demo, even though I can't understand what they're saying(I can speak slooowly in German, and understand if people answer me slooowly, but this is just impossible =P )

So, I just have a couple of small questions, and a comment or two:

#1. Is the inventory really this new, messy system, or is it only this way in the demo?

#2 What's up with the weird jumping?

#3 How big is Gothic II compared to Gothic?

And then for the comment.. well, the demo wasn't long enough for me to get the "Gothic feeling", but I really liked the improved graphics(things are much smoother now), and the "only-hold-in-ctrl-to-pick-or-use" function, BUT the inventory stinks compared to the old one. Seriously, even the old one got a bit messy in the end due to 200 weapons, 5 armors, 100 spellscrolls/runes, and herbs/random items by the thousands.. I can't imagine how messy it will be near the end of Gothic II.. :|

Well, other than that, and the dumb jumping, it seems great! Can't wait for the English version to come out here in Scandinavia so that I can understand more than "Get amulet Eye of Innos.. Orcs.. army.. " when Xardas tells me to errr.. you know... get the amulet or something.. =P

Great to be back by the way, and hello to all old friends if you're still around!(Hello to new ones as well, of course).
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:14 pm
Sk'ar
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well I can answer two of your questions...
1. I believe this is the new inventory. Quite honestly, I think its a improvement. See more items, one click interactions, etc...
&
3. Gothic 2 is about three times larger than the original. You even get to travel back to part of the old colony.

I'm not sure about the jumping. Its sort of odd, but more realistic. I'm not sure if you can train it. Can some German speaker tell us if acrobatics make any show in G2? Oh, btw, if you want to get more out of the rather large demo, then there is a way to escape the confines of the land. Check spoiler forum for more info.
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:23 pm
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

And there's also a set of machine-translated English subtitles you can get for the demo, which might help you get more out of it. The link's around here somewhere.

As for the inventory, it's not completely chaotic; it does sort items by category, and you can set what order you want to see the categories in in the .ini file.
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:44 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Acrobatics has been removed.

The new inventory is okay. Especially the speed acceleration if you keep Ctrl pressed and the move/sell/buy the whole stack button (Alt) were nice ideas.
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:29 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

There is a way to escape the boundries, and get English subtitles?
Ooooo, I'm heading over to the spoilers' right now!

Gorath: Yes, I agree, I like the new stack-selling system, but I'm still not convinced the new inventory is an improvement. Hmm.. takes time to get used to I guess..
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:01 am
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I agree that the inventory does seem like it will lead to a great disaster in the end if you collect all items and store them like i do. I also have too agree with the new jump feature. The character looks like a friggin fag when he jumps about. Everytime I show this game off to a friend, the last thing I do is jump. I want to keep his interest so he'll buy the game and increase sales for Pirhana seeing as I greatly desire a third installment. Also, I was wondering if there is any weather effects such as rain in the demo? I've been playing for awhile but have of yet seen this.
Post Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:05 am
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Yep, it rains in the demo. The thunder and lightning were pretty good, but I wasn't too impressed with the rain effect itself.
Post Wed Jan 08, 2003 4:19 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

The rain really helps if you're running through the forest with all the skeletons and wargs(and some of them are after you).. creates a great atmosphere(for fear and so on, but still.. )!
Post Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:22 pm
m00nchile
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Sword skills

Well, i shortly played the demo and noticed that your character
holds one-handed weapons in (who could guess ) in one hand.
In the begining of G1 you held one-handed weapons in two hands util
you trained one-handed weapons handling. So, does this mean our
character didn't forget ALL of his skills or something???
*hopes this isn't too confusing *
Post Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:20 pm
ghola
City Guard
City Guard

Either that or Xardas upgraded the Gothic engine a bit.
Post Sat Jan 11, 2003 12:16 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

A little something to think about:

What about his strength? He might've forgotten everything(how to fight and so on), but why is his body back to the same state as it was in the beginning of Gothic 1? Not before Gothic 1(he was probably weaker), and not right after the beginning(you quickly get 15-20 in strength), but EXACTLY the way it was when he first entered the colony.. strange huh?
Post Sat Jan 11, 2003 12:24 am
ghola
City Guard
City Guard

Yeah, it's like... magic. :p
Post Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:00 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Or.. programming perhaps?
Post Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:33 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

The good boy was, like, resurrected. So it's back to the roots for him.
Post Sat Jan 11, 2003 11:38 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

No, that's just it.. he was ressurrected from what? From the exact day he entered the colony - not a day before, or a day after(you've got at least 15 strength by the next day, and you're therefore probably weaker the day before).. so for some reaon it's the exact second he enters the colony..

Kinda weird..
Post Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:38 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next