Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
My favorite mission and my opinion of the reviews so far.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
BSC14
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

My favorite mission and my opinion of the reviews so far.

I have to say going into the orc cave was so cool. By far my favorite mission this far into the game. I hope there are more like it. And I was looking at some of these reviews on Gothic and it seems to me that these guys don't play it long enough to give it a fair review. If I'm right it's a shame because this is a very good game my opinion.

[ This Message was edited by: BSC14 on 2002-02-11 12:16 ]
Post Mon Feb 11, 2002 6:15 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

I liked going into the mines for the first time. The clankity-clank of the picks hitting the ore and the impression of great depths was pretty good. Of course I like body-surfing over waterfalls also; but that's not a mission. As far as reviews, if I paid any attention to any of them I wouldn't have played the game; but since I don't give them any credence that should answer your question
Post Mon Feb 11, 2002 6:19 pm

IMO most reviews are favourable (except Gamespot's).
Because it is a rpg-adventure-action hybrid, hardcore fans of the pure categories will always find something to criticize. The complaints about the interface come mainly from adventure gamers. There are similar statements of them about Outcast's interface. These people are used to point and click. 3D worlds are not so common in adventure games.
Post Tue Feb 12, 2002 10:16 am

WHITE x CHOCO
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

i liked the old camp also... but early in the game it was a pain to travel to
Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 2:25 am
praj
Village Leader
Village Leader

most game reviewers will play a game for a few hours then write the review. their loss.
Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:55 am
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

quote:

On 2002-02-28 04:55, praj wrote:
most game reviewers will play a game for a few hours then write the review. their loss.

I agree. I hate when reviewers do that. The game could start out slow for them, but really get good towards the end, but of course they usually don't get anywhere near the end...
Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 3:52 pm
Darnalak
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Y'know... that could actually bear some research... I mean, alot of RPGS have this INCREDIBLE character generation system... and a WONDERFUL background story, and a great start game... then the middle drags, and the ending is lackluster...

This would appeal to reviewers who just pick the game up, read the box, read the FAQ and pick at the game... and Voi'la instant perfect review... game reviewer plays it after looking at his goldstar review in Computergames magazine, then cries foul when he gets to the midgame....

Darnalak,
The Necromancer
Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 4:56 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

Sometimes I think game reviewers just read reviews on other sites and then just copy them, but not word for word, they put it in their own words.
Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 5:05 pm
Olgerth Heidern
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Back to topic...

I loved the Orc Graveyard mission. It felt like something out of a movie. I kept expecting the Sleeper to show up, and then there are orcs coming out of every crack with their "ug-ug" battle cry. And dead templars. Hmm.

We fight because we must.
Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 5:12 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I really liked the Orc Cemetary as well. That was a fun quest. And as far as game reviews, maybe it's a good thing most reviewers don't finish the game, because let's face it, Gothic's ending was lackluster.

[ This Message was edited by: Val on 2002-02-28 11:50 ]
Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 5:49 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

Hey Val, I was starting to worry about you since I hadn't seen you on in so long. Nice to see a familiar, friendly face. Welcome back. *hug*
Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 6:38 pm

well, i got a bit annoyed a while ago when i briefly glanced across Swedish PCGamer's newly opened forums and saw a post by someone asking if he should give Gothic a try, and one of the magazine's editors replied saying he should avoid it by any means. But it's all the same story - complaining about the controls and that's pretty much what they have to say because they didn't get past that. bah, and they call themselves reviewers... sad. I don't read the magazine, but the few issues i've read in the past were so full of Counterstrike talk, that's it's easy to understand how they view it. I doubt even Morrowind will satisfy the bastards, hehe.
Post Thu Feb 28, 2002 7:02 pm

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

quote:

On 2002-02-28 12:38, The Hulk wrote:
Hey Val, I was starting to worry about you since I hadn't seen you on in so long. Nice to see a familiar, friendly face. Welcome back. *hug*

Yeah I was rather busy yesterday. I bought Disciples II and it seems all my spare time has disappeared.
Post Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:11 am