FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Question for techheads: Raedon VE?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

Question for techheads: Raedon VE?

Hi Everyone, I'm not much of a hardware person, but I've heard my 64 mb Radeon VE is pretty weak, and I've held off buying the game for it... but how screwed am I, really? Will the game be playable (if I lower the settings a reasonable amount)? How does the Radeon VE compare to, say, a GeForce 2MX? Should I just bite the bullet and save up for a GeForce 3 or 4?

Plaese help! If I can, I want to be playing Morrowind this summer, not re-playing Grim Fandango. (not that there's anything wrong with that )
Post Sat May 04, 2002 8:46 pm

mephy

I believe it is similar to a GF2mx, so you should be able to play no prob, but you will have to turn down some detail (medium detail 800x600 should be ok)
Post Sat May 04, 2002 9:05 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, it is somewhere around GForce2 MX, maybe even weaker and far more weaker than GForce 2 GTS.
However you should able to play it with some huge limitations.
Post Sat May 04, 2002 9:08 pm

Thanks for the info!!

Well, it won't be "the best looking RPG to date" for me, but who need eye candy? Thanks again!
Post Sun May 05, 2002 5:00 am

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I hope you will enjoy .
Post Sun May 05, 2002 7:14 am
RyeDog
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I owned a Radeon VE

I understand your concern about the Radeon VE video card, and rightfully so. I owned a Radeon VE card and thought i would be getting performance out of it but i was mislead. After putting my Geforce 256 back into my computer, i noticed better image quality. Case in point: The Radeon VE does not support Texture and Lighting, but even my Geforce 256 does. Any Video Card freak knows that this is a pretty good feature to have.

Also, the Radeon VE came out after the Geforce 256. I also believe it has a bigger graphics pipeline then the Radeon VE. If you go to the ATI site, i found out that the Hardware Texture and Lighting was taken out of the card in order to reduce the price of the card itself.

It's main selling point was "multi monitor support". That's really the big thing about the card. I immediately replaced my Radeon VE with my older Geforce 256 when i found out! But that was before i got my Geforce 4 Ti 4600. I usually buy a new video card every 3 years and this should last me as long as the Geforce 256 did i hope...

Of course you can find out yourself by checking out www.nvidia.com and www.ati.com and do a feature comparison yourself to verify...
Post Sun May 05, 2002 7:27 am