View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
NeverDark
Village Leader
Village Leader

Geneforge II - whoa!

Hey guys!

Turns out these value games SpyderWeb Soft produces are actually little gems! I downloaded a demo for Geneforge II recently, and I gotta tell ya I haven't had so much fun with an RPG since I played Arx Fatalis. The graphics are poor, and the music and sounds are basically nonexistent, but the story!! Oh my, it's so engaging, and the dialogs and pop-up descriptions (a very nice feature) are generally well written. The closest game Geneforge II's gameplay could be compared to, would probably be Fallout. Anyway, I think this game would probably be worthy of any serious hard-core RPG fan's time. What do you think?

For those of you who played more than one game by SpyderWeb, I got a question - Which one do you think is the best?
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:46 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Geneforge 2 is on my must-play-when-I get-the-chance list. Since Deus Ex: Invisible War just dropped down there's an opening for it during my Christmas holidays. Geneforge was excellent, so this should be too.

I haven't played his others because although I try to ignore the old-style graphics, the smaller "viewport" in Avernum is just too much for me and the fantasy setting doesn't grab me like Geneforge's unique world.
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:20 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

I played the Geneforge2 demo a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it as much as the original. The graphics are almost pre-historic, but the gameplay is excellent. I found myself looking at the clock and not believing it was 1 in the morning; it's a very addictive game. If you liked the first, you'll enjoy this one as well.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:43 am
Lannister
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Is avernum 3 as good as Geneforge II

Just wanted to ask cause you seem to know these games. The things that are described here about geneforge really appeal to me however i do not like this shaper-setting.
I heard Avernum 3 is more traditional fantasy. Is it also as good in terms of story, immersion and so on ?

L.
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:44 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I love the games that Jeff has been putting out. I played the original Geneforge and I'm almost done with Geneforge 2. I've played Avernum 2 completely and I plan to start Avernum 3 over the holidays if I have the time. They are all excellent games, IMO.

Avernum is more "traditional" fantasy in terms of fighters, rogues, clerics and mages, but it has a more fresh perspective. Especially if you play Avernum 2 which takes place underground in societies that have taken root there. I've only gotten my feet wet on the Avernum 3 demo, but it looks to be just as engaging as Avernum 2. I spent many a can't-pull-myself-away-until-6AM sessions with that game.
Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:55 am
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

Jeff's games are always fun.
Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:50 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

By far I still like the Exile games, especially Exile 3 and Blades of Exile. I've just never really gotten used to the isometric graphics on the newer games.
Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:02 am
corwin

Wouldn't you really love to se Jeff do a game with modern, state of the art graphics!! I would. Wish some wealthy publisher would make him an offer he couldn't refuse!! He's a very talented man.

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:55 am
mkreku
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Wow.. I didn't realize you were talking about the same guy that did the old Exile games at first. I loved those games (although I only played the demo versions of them while doing my school work) so I guess I should check out Geneforge now that I have both time and money

Oh, and my favourite game is Wasteland, thus I'm not that bothered by crappy graphics

Edit: Uhm.. I just checked out Geneforge 2 and it has like.. WAYYYYY better graphics than either Wasteland or Exile I/II/III! Prehistoric my ass!
Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:07 pm
corwin

I said almost pre-historic!! The graphics don't bother me either, I still have Wasteland and Bard's Tale on my PC. However, most game reviewers chuck a fit if any game doesn't have the latest graphics and multi-player. Jeff's games have neither. They have real gameplay instead, something a lot of reviewers seem to have forgotten about. Mind you, that doesn't apply to the reviewers here who are very discerning.

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:09 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Here is the link to Spiderweb Software. Order an excellent Spiderweb game today and support indie software designers.

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/index.html
Post Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:07 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

The Exile (Avernum) series has one of the best stories of all rpgs. Turn based combat / Hundrets of quests / Create characters the way you want them - you can even start a new character in the middle of the game. -> True roleplaying for me !
Post Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:11 pm