Usergroups
Performance in Gothic
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Konrad Wallenrod
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, i'm an average player from an average country in middle Europe with an average pc:Athlon 1.4@1.53 Ghz, 256 MB RAM,32 MB GF2MX overclocked to 210/220,win xp,det 28.32.95% of modern games run pretty smooth on my machine but Gothic is one of the "infamous" exceptions.Still playing this awesome game in 800X600 32 bit max details (i mean the awesome storyline and other stuff ) i managed to squeeze from my comp about 20-26 fps while being in old camp (it tends to vary, depending on which direction i'm looking in) and 24-33 while in wilderness (measured using toggle frame mode). Could anyone tell me is this a good result? Oh, one more thing.When i start running framerate ALWAYS drops to about 20 fps.Is this a normal behaviour too?
Post Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:20 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The behaviour is normal, your performance is surprisingly good. A GeForce 2-MX is seriously bandwidth limited. With a GeForce2 Pro you should be able to run it @1600*1200, of course with the usual 20-23 fps.
When the cards become available you should consider replacing your MX with GeForce 4 Ti 4200. Should at least double (if not triple) your performance for most games.
Post Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:34 pm
Konrad Wallenrod
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thx for the info Gorath!Now at least i know what i'm standing on.And i'll see to get a fresh & shiny gf4 ti 4200 as soon as it'll be available in Poland
Post Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:42 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Good.
I hope you understood that Gothic will never run at more than 20-23 fps, but with a fast card it could be possible to increase the resolution and/or activate FSAA.
Post Sat Apr 13, 2002 4:07 pm