Tips for faster framerates, etc.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
jvelite
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Tips for faster framerates, etc.

Let me start out by saying that this may only apply to some of you out there. (DirectX developers).

My system specs:

AMD Athlon 800
ASUS A7V133 Motherboard
Sound Blaster Live VALUE
Geforce 3 Ti 200 (it's 200 right? )
512MB Ram

As you can see it's not the best system and it's not the worst. It's just about in the middle I would imagine.

OK, now that that's over I can go on with my findings. I had a lot of little problems which included (fast pink/black/green flickering when saving/zoning, soso framerates, and sound pops). They were acceptable and disappointing at the same time.

I decided to take it upon myself and check out some of my DirectX settings via DXDIAG. This can be found in the control panel as well as the start->run dialog with DXDIAG as the filename. The only problem is that this application might be for people who installed the DirectX SDK, can't remember.

After looking through the settings I noticed that most of the DirectX components (Direct3D, DirectSound, DirectShow, etc) were in DEBUG MODE! Since I'm a developer, debug mode is neccessary.

I switched them from debug mode to RETAIL MODE. I then started up morrowind. The first thing I noticed was that it loaded a heck of a lot quicker. Then the framerates immediately improved! I also noticed the flickering problem I had was exterminated!

My problems have been solved!

Hope this helps and thanks for listening!
- J
Post Mon May 06, 2002 1:36 pm