Usergroups
Why the delay for English version?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
oozle
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

You know there have been cases where certain companies have finished long awaited games but the games were never released because the developer either went under or couldn't afford to publish the title.

And in some cases, even where the game has been released, it has been released something like 3-6months after the scheduled release date.
Post Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:33 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Like everone else I'd like it as fast as possible but I really don't understand the fuss and confusion.

As per the newsbit Garrett spoke personally to the Lead Designer, Michael Hoge, on Jan 13th. Michael stated the development team had taken a 4 week holiday (less for those who had to work on the patch) but would be back to strength on Monday - which makes it one week ago.

He said a "version is with JoWood for approval. A list of bugs & errors has already been issued to us and so we will have to fix them".

So they've had one week to work on the bugs Jowood listed - and then Jowood will need to review the results again. Clearly this could easily take a few weeks to complete!

So we know exactly where it is. All the development is done, but the english version still has a list of bugs that require work, which PB have been doing for one week at this point.

Where's the confusion?
Post Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:37 am
deathcloud
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I heard that that joWood isnt going to release gothic II until it goes gold. Everywher i go thats all i hear i dont really know what that means but if gothic I realese date of march 14 has any influence on gothic II's release date then i am going to expect it march 17th like all of the stores are saying it is comeing. But can someone explain to me what going gold means?
Post Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:33 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The term 'a game goes gold' came up when CD-Rs had a golden color. It means that the master is delivered and the duplication process can start. Manufacturing and distribution takes 2-4 weeks.
It also is a formality. The developer hands the final program version to the publisher. The publisher, if he accepts the gold master, agrees that the final milestone of the development process has been achieved. Usually the publisher pays the developer a certain percentage of the negotiated budget after each milestone, the first and the last being the most important.
Post Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:04 pm
Dog Of War
Village Leader
Village Leader

I Am Mad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Wanna Gothic 2 English!!!!!!

I wanna GOTHIC 2 in english! NO MORE DELAYS! NO MORE WAITING!
AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Post Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:40 am
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

... hey now we know how non-english speaking folks feel when games are released in english and they have to wait forever to get a localized copy ...
Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:32 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
Where's the confusion?

Well. We're not confused. We're just impatient because G2 English is not released yet. BTW, it's already been a month since that newsbit. I think they should at least give us an idea how far they've progressed.
Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:02 am
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

The real reason is

Honestly they are probably letting the smaller German market beta test it for them then release a de-bugged version to the larger English speaking market. It's called; Taz not impressed with JoWood, they suck big you know what.
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:33 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You shouldnīt be so sure the English language market for unknown German RPGs is bigger than the German market for famous RPGs developed in Germany supported by big communities.
Post Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:27 am
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

You should check your figures first

Germanys population is approximately: 82 million
http://www.destatis.de/basis/e/bevoe/bev_tab4.htm

United States Population: 288 million
http://eire.census.gov/popest/data/states/tables/ST-EST2002-01.php

Yep, I would say that the US is a much larger market. Then throw in the rest of the English speaking world. Britain and Canada. The English market is much larger than the German market.
Post Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:36 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

A game that's successful here will not necessarily be as successful there as well.
Post Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:03 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: You should check your figures first

quote:
Originally posted by NidPuterGuy
Germanys population is approximately: 82 million
http://www.destatis.de/basis/e/bevoe/bev_tab4.htm

United States Population: 288 million
http://eire.census.gov/popest/data/states/tables/ST-EST2002-01.php

Yep, I would say that the US is a much larger market. Then throw in the rest of the English speaking world. Britain and Canada. The English market is much larger than the German market.

I know these figures. Theyīre irrelevant. If 99% of the 288 mio Americans donīt know Gothic the market is a lot smaller.
D, A, CH is the primary market, the English gaming world (this includes NL and Scandinavia) the secondary and all the other languages the tertiary (sp?) market. Primary market comes first if the publisher is too small to do a worldwide release at the same time.
In the German market Gothic II is mainstream. In other areas itīs a niche product.
Post Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:33 pm
NidPuterGuy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Maybe

They are waiting to finish all localized versions to release them at the same time?
Post Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:49 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5