View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
jellylad
Village Leader
Village Leader

What to play next??

Hello all.

I've just finished (and enjoyed) Arx and am wondering what game I should next waste a considerable chunk of my life. Since Gothic2 isn't out here in the UK for a while I guess I was wavering towards either Divine Divinity or Icewing Dale 2. I like the D+D games, but am a bit worried about DD and similarities to Diablo that I have read.

(I have already completed Morrowind and Neverwiter Nights).

Which of those 2 is best in peoples opinions? Are there any others out (or out in the next 2 weeks and worth holding out for).
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 3:25 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Icewind Dale II - out of those two. DD is REALY very much of Diablo, no matter what fans will say. If you like D&D games, you're going to like IWD as well, it is a good game, especially the first part of it. Go for it.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 3:48 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I can suggest both games. Divine Divinity is good and maybe I will say go for it and only if you liked IWD really very much buy IWDII.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:55 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

I can heartily recommend IWD2 - it is great fun and a good conversion of the 3E D&D rules. The story is good and it features lots of hidden extras and side quests.
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:58 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Kendrik
I can heartily recommend IWD2 - it is great fun and a good conversion of the 3E D&D rules. The story is good and it features lots of hidden extras and side quests.

Yes, yes, I played BG2, IWD and IWD2 and this newest is best for me.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:09 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

You completed Morrowind ?!? You are my hero! j\k

If i were in your shoes i would play them both, because what could be better than one excellent game, than two excellent games ?!! hurray! (i know, i am a strange one, dont rub it in)

Yeah, i guess DD is a deeper-rpg Diablo, I've played the demo, its a cool game, except you dont have to strain yer fingers by click click clicking all day long (Diablo was the first time ever that one of my fingers felt pain, go figure).
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:34 pm
jellylad
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well, when I said I'd completed Morrowind, what I meant was, I'd completed it as far as I'm probably gonna. Sorry to set myself up as a false idol there!
May go back to it, but my W key was nearly worn out from moving forward.

OK, I've been convinced, I'll get both. The first one I see in the shop on my way home tonite wil be the one I play first. I'll leave it to fate a bit.
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 7:10 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Go grab Heavy Metal:Fakk2 out of the bargain bin somewhere, its a gorgeous game good for a few days. Im on my way thru it for the second time.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:25 pm
Oye
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

unless you by saying 'completed morrowind' mean that you've done all the quests, i'd advice you to play it again, with a new character in another house and other guilds. [Edit: didnt see your second post until after i'd written this. And btw, Q = autowalk/run)

or you could play fallout I, II, or planescape: torment. All games worth playing again, and it wont cost a penny (if you havent got them, it's about time you should, and they'll definetly be cheap)

¯|_
   |_     
     |_

Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:06 am
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by stanthony
Icewind Dale II - out of those two. DD is REALY very much of Diablo, no matter what fans will say. If you like D&D games, you're going to like IWD as well, it is a good game, especially the first part of it. Go for it.

@stanthony I think DD was a good game, but it did pale in comparison to IWD & IWD2. I agree with your recommendation, however I don't think DD is Diabloish. I played Diablo a couple of times, and only got up to the 3rd chapter in Diablo2, but I had to force myself to continue that far in.... I think Diablo2 was very overrated and it's not as much fun as DD.

Planescape: Torment is also a thoroughly enjoyable game... a little darker with a great sense of humour. My only problem was that you didn't get a choice of character (don't roll your eyes people, I wanted to be a female Nameless One). Morte is a crack-up! I love that you can buy "better teeth" for him.

In my opinion, any Black Isle game you haven't played you should try. There hasn't been one I haven't loved and played at least a couple of times. And I would give DD a go- I really enjoyed it while I've been waiting for Arx (thanks for rubbing in that you've had it, played it, and conquered it Jellylad).

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:34 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Kayla
Planescape: Torment is also a thoroughly enjoyable game... a little darker with a great sense of humour.

Absolutely! It is one of my very favorites. People start to hate me for telling everyone how good P:T really is.

... I just don't think jellylad will be able to buy it "in the shop on his way home"
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 1:04 am
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
quote:
Planescape: Torment is also a thoroughly enjoyable game... a little darker with a great sense of humour.

Absolutely! It is one of my very favorites. People start to hate me for telling everyone how good P:T really is.

I'll take up the crusade to infiltrate P:T into every house in the world then until the game gets the reconition it deserves(and thanks for the abreviation, I was wondering what it should be)!

Seriously, if anyone hasn't tried it you should. If you live in Australia it's easy, we are so behind the rest of the world with game releases it's practically still a new release.

@ stanthony I think we are pretty similar gamers (at least if I like a game there's a good chance at least one other person will)! Hopefully one day you can jump to my defense and say you think a game I mention is good when everyone else is flaming me and saying I don't know what I'm talking about, it's a complete waste of money (not that I think I do know anything).

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 1:22 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
If you live in Australia it's easy, we are so behind the rest of the world with game releases it's practically still a new release.

If you live in Estonia, it's not that bad (oh, boy, in 2004 we'll even be in EU ). But P:T is impossible to buy here. Only from pirates. I got mine few years ago in Russia, when it was fairly new. Everyone else I know ordered it from Finland.

quote:
@ stanthony I think we are pretty similar gamers (at least if I like a game there's a good chance at least one other person will)! Hopefully one day you can jump to my defense and say you think a game I mention is good when everyone else is flaming me and saying I don't know what I'm talking about, it's a complete waste of money (not that I think I do know anything).

Sure. Little info about my gaming interest, in case I will need your support I like Interplay RPGs most. Well, I think none will flame me for that I also enjoyed TES-games (Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind). I loved Wizardry8. I don't like Diablo and similar games, but occasionally I might hack'n'slash - using multiplayer shooters for this purpose. I play strategies, my favorite still is Colonization (well, I could be flamed for this, I guess ). I also play PnP RPGs, but still those based on D&D rules... Honestly, I like to be DM - so that I can make great number of people mad at me Last months I'm feeling like Magic: the Gathering is back, but I hope I'll recover soon...

Anyway, all these are just sweet dreams - for now I have to study myself to death. I'm almost a lawyer (I KNOW - this is what I will be flamed for certainly )
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 1:42 am
Kayla
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Sure. Little info about my gaming interest, in case I will need your support I like Interplay RPGs most. Well, I think none will flame me for that I also enjoyed TES-games (Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind). I loved Wizardry8. I don't like Diablo and similar games, but occasionally I might hack'n'slash - using multiplayer shooters for this purpose. I play strategies, my favorite still is Colonization (well, I could be flamed for this, I guess ). I also play PnP RPGs, but still those based on D&D rules... Honestly, I like to be DM - so that I can make great number of people mad at me Last months I'm feeling like Magic: the Gathering is back, but I hope I'll recover soon...

Anyway, all these are just sweet dreams - for now I have to study myself to death. I'm almost a lawyer (I KNOW - this is what I will be flamed for certainly )

* edit was to fix the "quote"

Don't be worried about being a lawyer.. my sister is, and I've applied for a job at the tax department... I think that would be considered worse!

Love D&D games (as you would have guessed). I do enjoy the Sims (don't flame me please) when I am in a bad mood. I have all the peoplee from work in one house and can fight with them, and get myself the really good high paying job I am worthy of and when there is nothing new I'm interested in I keep going back to Majesty.

I enjoyed Wiz8, haven't played Colonisation, might give it a go! Thanks for the tip. You're a champion! I played D&D with my other half and he was DM... I may be one of those people who get mad at you if you are anywhere near as mean as him. He was more like the arch-nemesis trying to get me killed! Also like NOLF & NOLF2. MW and Gothic were good (I didn't play right though, I kept getting killed by crabs or the bird critters and eventually got frustrated. My other half laughed so hard watching me play I had to resort to playing where he wasn't here.

Robert A. Heinlein
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 1:55 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Torment would be easy on the wallet, its bargain binned now
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:00 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next