Members
Usergroups
Will MW run good on a laptop
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Timrek

Will MW run good on a laptop

Looking to buy a laptop. Was wondering if anybody is doing this and which ones work good with Morrowind?
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:09 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

If you will by best graphic card they sell into notebooks, you will be able to play it, but you will be somewhere below average in details.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:12 pm
Timrek

So if I get something with 32MB Video. Would that run good enough to play without much lag?
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:14 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

It depends on which card with 32MB.
In notebooks they usually give something like S3 Savage 32 MB etc. You need something from NVidia, or possible something like Radeon. But I am not sure which card they produce for notebooks. I heard about GForce2 GO, this should be good enough for playing on lowest details without much lags. I do not know if they do something from newer models GF3 or GF4 for notebooks.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:21 pm
ALobos

I'm running Morrowind on a Laptop. Specs are as follows:
P3 1Ghz Processor
256mb RAM
Nvidia GForce2 Go 32mb
WinXP

Running game at 1024x768
Shadows off
View Distance about 1/3
AI about 1/4
3D Sound Low

I'm getting frame rates in the mid 20s, with rates in the mid teens in towns. Inside buildings my rates go up into the 30s. Not exactly stellar, but definitely playable. I also installed the NO CD crack which is supposed to disable SAFEDISK. Seemed to give me a few more FPS, but nothing major.

Hope this helps.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:28 pm

Timrek

Would this laptop be good to run Morrowind

Toshiba Satellite 5005-S507
Equipped with an Intel® Pentium® III processor 1.1GHz, 512MB SDRAM, Toshiba Personal Theatre 15" UXGA active matrix display (1600 X 1200), NVIDIA® GeForce4™ 440 Go graphics controller with 32MB DDR VRAM, DVD/CD-RW multifunction drive, 40GB1 Hard drive, Yamaha Sound System featuring harman/kardon® Stereo Speakers with subwoofer, 10/100 Ethernet, V.90/56K modem, and Windows XP Home Edition.

Also would a system with a Radeon 16MB Video card be okay?
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:34 pm

Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

This is nice notebook .

It will work. I suggest that GForce 4 Go (I didnt know that they already make GForce 4 Go cards). It will be very good experience with more details that I will have with my standart PC.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 5:37 pm
freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

laptops

I am playing on a laptop with the same stats that you gave except my processor is 1.8Gig instead, and I run great.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 8:25 pm
Timrek

How will it run on a Savage4?
Post Wed May 08, 2002 9:35 pm

loomer

it won't run on a savage video card
Post Wed May 08, 2002 10:10 pm

Timrek

Okay,

Picked up the Toshiba S507. It runs very good. In fact, it runs just as good as my desktop or even better. I just might playing it only on the Toshiba.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 6:42 pm

Bea
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Timrek
Okay,

Picked up the Toshiba S507. It runs very good. In fact, it runs just as good as my desktop or even better. I just might playing it only on the Toshiba.

and how is the quality of the screen? Good or do you have to put the lights of?
I heard and know that LCD is too slow for gaming??
Post Fri May 10, 2002 5:28 am
Garfink

Toshiba

I have the forementioned Toshiba and it runs great with all 3D games, the LCD monitor is the best 15 inch on the market and I often play racing car games on it, so don't worry about it, its not an issue (maybe if you play quake 1 on it at 360 fps, it may be noticible, but I haven't tried). Morrowind works great, and you get the water effect as well, because its a GeForce 4. I have the setting on at 1/2 distance and everything else almost max. Haven't regretted getting it once yet, and I have had regrets on some retired laptops.

I have the S507 with the PIII 1.1, if money wasn't an issue the P4 1.8 would be the best buy, because 1) its a P4 1.8 and 2) its got a 7200rpm Harddisk (the other laptop bottle neck). But there is a price premium and its too rich for my blood, the S507 is better bang for the buck
Post Fri May 10, 2002 10:37 am