RPGDot Network    

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)
Display full image
Pic of the moment
More
pics from the gallery

Site Navigation

Main
   News
   Forums

Games
   Games Database
   Top 100
   Release List
   Support Files

Features
   Reviews
   Previews
   Interviews
   Editorials
   Diaries
   Misc

Download
   Gallery
   Music
   Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Short sharp suggestions for version II
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

Gothic was a great game, but did not get the reviews or attention it deserved. Games who won awards this year are not nearly as good.

I have a couple of easy suggestions that would improve their next review.

1) Add a tutorial. Many reviewers I read never understood the controls. They seemed to have played only an hour or so before writing. Thus, the first hour of the game has to be good, so you have to coddle them.

2) Change the name in American versions. "Gothic" is a misnomer; to an American gamer it implies a vampire game. Also, since GothicI didnt get such hot reviews, no need to tie up to that anvil. Just call it "Myrtana" and your reviews and sales will go up.

3) Improve the manual. The weakest part of the game was the apparent lack of depth because the manual was only a few pages. Take a look at Arcanum's [a game I despise] manual. It even has a recipe in it. Gobblygook works. [I know reviewers don't all see the manual beforehand, but user reviews will improve]

4) Improve mouse control, always show a cursor if they choose. Some people [reviewers] cannot handle not using the mouse. Humor them.

5) Improve the quality of the splash screens and starting 'movie' (including pyranha logo). Its the first thing people see, and it effects their appreciation of the rest of the game.

6) Add a separate configuration program ala Baldur's gate for troubleshooting.

7) Start up in high resolution so first impressions are better.
Post Sat Mar 09, 2002 2:09 am

TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

although i'm SURE everyone here will simply love reading your opinion (as expressed in previous posts ; ) ) i doubt PB will ever see them. your thoughts are great and all, but won't have any influence whatsoever unless you send them to the company.
Post Sat Mar 09, 2002 2:33 am
TheLonePaladin
Mighty Warrior
Mighty Warrior

shoot my winky face got screwed up

"Though the gates that stand between the mortal world and the immortal Realm of Chaos are now closed to me, still I would rather die having glimpsed eternity than never to have stirred the cold furrow of mortal life.
I embrace death without regret as I embraced life without fear."
Post Sat Mar 09, 2002 2:34 am
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

quote:

On 2002-03-08 20:09, Anonymous wrote:
Gothic was a great game, but did not get the reviews or attention it deserved. Games who won awards this year are not nearly as good.

I have a couple of easy suggestions that would improve their next review.

1) Add a tutorial. Many reviewers I read never understood the controls. They seemed to have played only an hour or so before writing. Thus, the first hour of the game has to be good, so you have to coddle them.

2) Change the name in American versions. "Gothic" is a misnomer; to an American gamer it implies a vampire game. Also, since GothicI didnt get such hot reviews, no need to tie up to that anvil. Just call it "Myrtana" and your reviews and sales will go up.

3) Improve the manual. The weakest part of the game was the apparent lack of depth because the manual was only a few pages. Take a look at Arcanum's [a game I despise] manual. It even has a recipe in it. Gobblygook works. [I know reviewers don't all see the manual beforehand, but user reviews will improve]

4) Improve mouse control, always show a cursor if they choose. Some people [reviewers] cannot handle not using the mouse. Humor them.

5) Improve the quality of the splash screens and starting 'movie' (including pyranha logo). Its the first thing people see, and it effects their appreciation of the rest of the game.

6) Add a separate configuration program ala Baldur's gate for troubleshooting.

7) Start up in high resolution so first impressions are better.

Only problems is, if the game starts in high resolution, and the reviewers system is not quite up to the task, then the reviewer will complain about the game running too slow and will mark off for it. The reviewer should be intelligent enough to increase resolution on his own up to the point that his/her system can handle it. If they don't and leave it in the default low resolution and complain about poor graphics, they are just showing off their own poor skills as a reviewer.
Post Sat Mar 09, 2002 2:35 am
CarnalSalvation
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I think your suggestions were really good. Especially the one about the name. Gothic truly isn't a good title (at least in the USA) for this particular game.
Post Sat Mar 09, 2002 5:13 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Gothic isn't a good title in Germany, either. The title and game don't have the slightest connection.

I for my part shied from buying the game because of it, I'm not into that vampire thing at all (though I'll make an eception for Raziel ). When my hubby bought it for me as a Christmas present, I had to play it, of course, and I'm very glad that I did.

Post Sat Mar 09, 2002 10:47 am

quote:

On 2002-03-09 04:47, Jaz wrote:
Gothic isn't a good title in Germany, either. The title and game don't have the slightest connection.

That's not true. The connection is the dark setting. Goth is culture and musical style today - at least in Europe. I don't know where there is a connection with vampires. Originally, the name comes from the gothic tribes who, like other germanic tribes, wandered around at the end of the roman empire founding early european states.
The most melancholy lore and tales of this time are about the goths. It is also argued that they should have had some yearning for death considering their fate and their tragedies.
Post Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:14 pm

Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:

On 2002-03-08 20:34, TheLonePaladin wrote:
shoot my winky face got screwed up

Your extra ) scared it (away )

''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Sat Mar 09, 2002 1:38 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Or maybe it's punishing you for giving it a double chin!

''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Sat Mar 09, 2002 1:40 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:

On 2002-03-09 06:14, Anonymous wrote:
The connection is the dark setting. Goth is culture and musical style today - at least in Europe. I don't know where there is a connection with vampires.

When the term 'Gothic' is brought up nowadays, what do people think of?
Melancholic youths with white make-up who burn candles at midnightly graveyards.

A great part of the Gothic community is made up of people who empathize with vampires since they're both considered creatures of the night (there are many Goths among my friends ) - nearly all of them romantics.

All in all I might say that when the label 'Gothic' is stuck to something, darkly romantic scenes of pain and suffering spring to mind. Gothic the game is very dark, but everything but romantic .

Post Sat Mar 09, 2002 2:17 pm
CarnalSalvation
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Jaz is right.

I personally don't find Gothic to be a dark game though.
Post Sat Mar 09, 2002 5:01 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Let's call it 'harsh' then .

Post Sat Mar 09, 2002 5:07 pm