Usergroups
UK Computer Mag reviews of Gothic 2
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Kirkr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Took a peek inside the September issue of PCZone (out at the end of July) to see their Gothic 2 review. They gave it 80%. Didn`t have time to read the review.

A bit better than PC Gamer, but not as good as PCG (spot on with 91%).
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:53 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I think 80% is the bare minimum that it should have gotten. Thats if you were really picky about the bugs and voice acting.

But I think 80% for PCZone is very good cuz they use a different scoring system. For it to get over 90% it has to be a revolutionary game that brings something new to the genre. Gothic 2 didnt do anything that Gothic 1 hadnt already done.

I personally would have given it somewhere between 89-94%. If they fixed all the bugs and had all the original voice actors and also more diversity in the generic NPC voices then that would have guaranteed it a 96% for me.
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:23 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

i would give 95% for Gothic 2 even if the voice acting somewhere was a little bit crap i just look how the story feels and how many imporwements are in it
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:48 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Yes but 95% is just 5% away from perfection. No game is perfect, and in Gothic 2's current condition, it is not even close to perfect. Sure it IS amazing, but thats not perfect.

In its current form, 90% would be quite generous.

I am kind of stuck in the mindset of most people, where I see a game that doesnt get over 90% and I immediately think the reviewers hated it. But I try to not think that way. I agree with PC Zones new (Well not realy new, they have been using it for a year or so I think) scoring system. Whereby for a game to get over 90% it has to be revolutionary and realy advance the genre.

As I said before. Gothic did advance the genre considerably. But Gothic 2, although an amazing game, did not really bring anything new to the genre that Gothic 1 hadnt already done.
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:59 pm
Gerry
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yup, 62% is not right. But then they say "you shouldn't believe everything you read". I've never played Gothic 1, and only heard about it from The Underdogs website sometime last year when I was browsing through RPG games. I saw G1, read the review, saw the screenshot and thought, "Wow! What a cool game!". I would have liked to play it but never got around to finding a supplier. So when I saw G2 (it had a bit more coverage and suppliers this time round) was coming out I ordered it straight away and haven't looked back since (well, only to look at the beautiful scenery or at the pack of vicious Wargs chasing me!).

I too don't care much for stat heavy RPG's. When I saw that the character in G2 had no intelligence I thought that's how it should be - the person playing it is the one with intelligence. Anyway, if they had me working on G3 I'd make sure it was "95%" material - at least!

Gerry.
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:27 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

Chekote if u take it like this then there wont be ever a perfect game Gothic series is allready perfect i been checking out alot of games and nothing compared to this one
Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:05 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I agree that there isnt much out there that compares to Gothic. But that by no stretch of the imagination means that the Gothic Series is perfect. It is far from perfect.

If you think about it, if its perfect then were screwed, because we have nothing to look forward to in the sequels. How can you improve upon perfection?
Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:55 pm
DJ Yahari
Village Leader
Village Leader

Perfect? Hardly...

A bugged game, with bad voice acting, somewhat linear gameplay and a unimpressive combat system is not perfect enough for me
Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:11 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I would go that far. The combat system takes a while to get used to, but name an RPG that has a more diverse system where the players skills in addition to the characters stats actually have an effect on combat. (Specifically with hand to hand combat)

Gothic is also far less linear than most RPGs. Yes I know not as open ended as Morrowind, but then almost nothing is. But compare Gothic to the majority of RPG's out there and you have far more freedom to do what you want, where you want, when you want...
Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:49 pm
fluffy_ferret
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic 2 is better than Gothic 1. It is a much more polished game, the improved controls, combat and fewer bugs would be a few good examples. Had Gothic 2 been released before Gothic 1 you would all be praising Gothic 2 and racking down on Gothic 1...

Then again, i've only played the first 3 chapters of Gothic 2 and the first 3 Chapters of Gothic 1 but that should prove enough. (btw for those who wonder Gothic series is Adventure/RPG and not pure RPG)

And no, the game doesn't deserve a lower score than Gothic 1 because it "doesn't bring anything new" to the genre. Remember Diablo II or Baldur's Gate II? None brought anything new to the genre it was basically the same thing but more polished. The games were worse in a way but they were still good games that deserved a pretty high score, and they did receieve it too. Games SHOULD be judged on how enjoyable they are to play and nothing else

And yea, www.pcgamer.com gave Divine Divinity an 84% which was a pretty good score even tho it's better than the Diablo games.
Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:53 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Well you completely missed the point I was trying to make. I never said anything about Gothic 2 not being better than Gothic 1. All I said was that it didnt bring anything new to the genre, which is true.

Sure you say that it shouldnt get a lower percentage because of this. But I was talking specifically about the PCZone scoring system, whereby for a game to get in the 90's it would need to advance the genre in some way. Gothic 2 doesnt do that.

I am not penalizing Gothic 2 for lacking any innovating features, I am praising Gothic 1 for doing so. Sure Gothic 2 is a more polished game, but using the PCZone scoring system it would only be able to get 89% Max since it doesnt evolve the genre.

I am as big a fan as anybody of the Gothic series. I just understand the difference between constructive criticism and blatant flames. I am not flaming Gothic, just giving constructive criticism.

No game is perfect, and probably never will be. Gothic is no exception. Its an amazing game that everyone should play at least once, but it does have areas that could use work.
Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:33 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

yeah perfect game is unavailable for the rest of our days
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:01 pm
Jesuszilla
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hey,

I'm from the UK. I did a review for a friend's website which you can find here:

http://www.hatekill.com/?viewarticle=review_gothic2

I think Gothic 2 is pretty decent but I wouldn't say it was poifect. It'd be cool if you guys could have a look at that review and give some feedback - good or bad I know this is a bit of a shameful self-promotion but it goes with the topic, UK review eh?

Cheers,

-Jz
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:37 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

it's a pretty good review, although you really should turn on the music as it adds more athmosphere to the game.
Post Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:04 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

quote:
Originally posted by hoyp
you really should turn on the music as it adds more athmosphere to the game.

I agree, you're missing out on a great soundtrack

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:46 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next