Members
Usergroups
In search of the illusive data3.cab
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
simland

In search of the illusive data3.cab

Alright, I have tried and tried but I am stuck.

The install process wants me to insert "disk 0" so that it can install "data3.cab". Now after searching both disks (TCS and Morrowind) I can only find data1.cab and data2.cab on each disk. There is no data3.cab to be found. Oh and this happens after 4% of the install when installing from the morrowind CD.

Can anyone help me with my problem, I would like to play the game.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 9:29 pm

iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Wow...that sounds bad...If you've searched the disks, THOROUGHLY...

I would contact techsupport via email..

Unless you can get someone to zip it up and send it to you (if THEY can find it..)

Good luck, wish you the best.

Post Sun May 05, 2002 10:57 pm
Nasarius
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

There is no data3.cab. Perhaps it is some error with the extraction process itself? I really have no idea.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 11:01 pm
iloveplywood

This is all just hearsay, but I read a thread a while back where a person was having the same problem. He returned the game, got a replacement and it worked fine. He concluded it was a defective CD. Again though, I really know nothing about this so take it with a grain of something.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 11:07 pm

This indicates a defective CD. It happens in both retail and piracy cases, although more likely in the latter; retails cases are generally more widely reported and I have not seen this error as at all common for this title (yet, anyway).

If you purchased it, return the game for another copy. I have seen the case where two copies were defective in a row, but it's pretty rare. If you downloaded it...well, that's the price you pay.
Post Sun May 05, 2002 11:16 pm

simland

Don't worry I get all my games legally.

This bites, I did contact Bethesda and probably won't get a reply back for a while. I am going to check the return policy and see if I can return it for a good copy. I did notice that there appeared to be a possible defect on the physical CD itself. I don't know if this would affect it so subtle as to change a 2 to a 3. (Assuming it is looking for data2.cab instead of data3.cab.)

And so the fun continues...
Post Mon May 06, 2002 12:34 am

Nasarius
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
If you purchased it, return the game for another copy. I have seen the case where two copies were defective in a row, but it's pretty rare. If you downloaded it...well, that's the price you pay.

Ironically, those who download the game are more or less guaranteed to have a good copy of the game, because there are mechanisms to ensure that every bit was downloaded properly.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 12:43 am

quote:

Ironically, those who download the game are more or less guaranteed to have a good copy of the game, because there are mechanisms to ensure that every bit was downloaded properly.

Unfortunately, you are correct. However that applies mainly to those who have at least semi-decent access, as repacked and single-file image copies are much more likely to display this error. Even so, for a title known for problems (such as Stronghold) in this circumstance, pirates actually fare better than their paying counterparts.

Take comfort in that it's more difficult to apply patching for these rogues, unless they grab a clone version, which has its own hardware compatibility issues. But there is greater available error to non-standard releases for pirates than to a purchaser, and that sub-level of pirate is thus more likely to post for help.

But in any case...the CD is defective.
Post Mon May 06, 2002 10:23 am

simland

sorry to bump this, I thought I would just create a sort of help file for anyone who runs into this same problem. Yes the CD is defective (Only possible explination.) Exchange it at your local computer store promptly. The problem with mine appeared to be a divet, yes a divet, on the CD itself.

I post this because I have heard of others coming across this problem and figured I would save them some time and trouble.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 2:32 am