Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
CRAP! I just made the game to boring for me!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

CRAP! I just made the game to boring for me!

I can't believe I did it but I did.

I started off with one guy, then didn't like the stats so I made another guy and didn't like the stats so I made another and so on and so....

I have 2 guys that I like alot but I am now just tired of doing the same thing. When I make a new guy, I have to use a the cheat codes to get lots of money to train my skills so I can get my skills up so I don't have to go through all the crap to get up there. I should be at the point where I am figthing the last NPC but I screwed myself. I am now at the point where I don't know what I want to do anymore. I don't really like either of my guys and I just sit and wonder.

I am just saying this becaue I don't want anyone else doing what I did. I will keep playing this game because I like it so much but becareful on what you do because you might screw yourself.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 2:40 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

All characters are the same eventually... except for in the roleplaying and imagination department. How can you have two guys near the end and not 'like' either? Why don't you like them?

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu May 16, 2002 2:50 pm
freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

It is not really towards the end of the game but I am high enough level to pretty much do everything I want...I won't say anymore for those not there yet.

I think spent to much time trying to make sure I have the 10 best skills and get them evenly spread out and make levels the most perfect way that I just go bored with the story and it went down here from there. Plus I found out I can raid the great houses for nice loot and that took all the fun out of getting new items because I have them.

I also need to not read the spoiler section anymore because that just ruins the whole concept of exploring.

I think I should just start all over as an assasin, or an archer of some sort (marksman seems to be the only fun thing for me anymore) no magic casting, because I just don't have the patient for casters and just go from there. It would be nice if I can come up with some way to not be bored this time around. I would hate to give up.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 6:08 pm
Morandil
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You might try playing the game...

Avoid cheat codes, avoid driving character skill development solely because of stats and optimization. Ask yourself what the character should do to solve problems, and use the appropriate skills. Maybe this will be more interesting. Any game will get boring if there are no challenges. It sounds like you optimized and cheated so much that you removed the challenge. Take it as a lesson and move on. Maybe leave the game alone for a while and come back to it with a fesh perspective.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 7:12 pm
freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

That is pretty much what I decided to do. I am going to take a week off, just make an assasin I think, because I like the stealth class the best and then just go from there. The only thing I will not like is doing the same thing for like the 7th time in the begining before I get back to where my other characters left off.

I just always have the habbit of overdueing something in the beginning and then getting bored with it in the end. For anyone who is reading this...just keep in mind what I did and just play the game and not care about the skills getting maxed out or whatever. I am just going to make a guy and just run around the whole continent just killing everything...(well I think that is fun...towns get boring to me) then come back and start the quests.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 7:17 pm
Bob
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I think something that would help make things more interesting for you is if you TRULY RolePlay your character.... so if say you are playing a noble character you would Not raid the great houses for all of there best stuff and have to find another way to obtain them throught good etc...

Also when you do get back to the game dont follow the main quest for awhile therefore you can still play but will not be repeating yourself
Post Thu May 16, 2002 8:07 pm
Wabbit

I'm starting a new character (although I was not unsatisfied with my current one) to test out someone's difficulty mod, and I decided to make my character not steal anything. I figured I would make an honest character that does not go around ripping everything off since it is so easy to loot stuff in the game and tempting. So far it is interesting, I did NOT steal all the stuff at the beginning, I am NOT going around looting everything that's not nailed down.

I like one assassin I met on a quest, he was being menaced by thugs, but he felt that it was beneath his honor to kill them so he was trying to talk his way out of it - now that's an interesting character.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 8:11 pm

freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well some big things that I like best about the game are actually stealing stuff but stealing to not get caught. It is in my opinion impossible to raid the great houses without getting caught.

I also love the marksman skill. It is great for those annoying cliff racers.

I don't think I will be stealing to much though, since the best stuff you get actually from quests and from the bad guys anyways. I will just save up some money and make the journey to "the place to buy glass armor" instead of stealing it.

I am not even close to through with this game but I do need to just make a legit toon and stay with him and ROLEPLAY ROLEPLAY ROLEPLAY. that is the biggest thing in this game. Tks for the tips and encouragement.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 8:35 pm

The game is interesting this way. It's balanced so that a non-min-maxxed character will be able to complete the game with a reasonable challenge. This means a character where the major and minor skills are chosen more for roleplay value than optimal combat ability. And stats and skills are raised just as they happen during exploration, questing and fighting, not with planning.

It really works to just grow into a character in MW. If you think you need a skill you didn't pick at the start you just spend some money on training it up to a decent level and work on it alot; it doesn't need to be a Major or Minor skill to be useful.

I understand how people complain that a 15th level character with 100 Strength, Longblade and Heavy Armor can defeat any monster in the game and complete the main quest, and so they claim the game is unbalanced and too easy. The problem is that you can also create a 30th level character who will have great difficulty in the harder areas. It's the result of a non-linear plot and open-ended character development. Bethesda had to make a choice about the difficulty level and went with the roleplay model, not the powergaming.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 9:37 pm

freakinaye
High Emperor
High Emperor

I am not complaining about the power level thing. I just made another character because I want to roleplay this one to the max and not do anything different even if it helps my toon because that would go against his excistance. I just picked the assasin instead of making a costumized and found a place to buy glass armor so I don't have to try and rob a stronghold or anthing like that. I am already like lv 25 with deadric and ebony weapons and some glass (and I haven't even started the main quest yet.) I am back to having fun again and I like it. There are some things that I need but I will worry about that later and just train the skill and go from there.

I was thinking about joining the Hlaalu guild but I heard that would hurt me in the long run because I want to excel in the thieves guild and Morag Tong. I looked at the preferred stats and it seems like Hlaalu would be the best....should I just join redoran or something instead?
Post Fri May 17, 2002 2:27 pm
Akaz1976

I am on my 4th char and i was running into same problem u r. My first one was a straight up warrior with no magic (and no honour) and thus got boring. Next one was a thief and a murderer. and third one was a mage, alchemist and a thief (see a trend?).

So i started over. I started a Orc Warrior with weak restoration and mystic magic. I have vowed not to steal (level 4 now and have 'stolen' on once and left more than the items value in gold as payment), and not to train any skill (despite the 20% success rate with recall spell that is a pain in the rear end) and do no dishonourable act (like quest requing bad deeds). And i tell u the game has never been more fun. I have also joined the legion (in addition to fighters guild) to keep things interesting. And have ignored them main quest for now.

Wish u luck

Akaz, The Orc Stormknight
Post Fri May 17, 2002 3:18 pm

Wabbit

I am also still running a character that will not steal, and I agree it makes the game WAY more fun. I also am testing a mod that makes combat more difficult and also slows down skill progression a lot. It's not for everyone, I think I am going to be at level 1 for a LONG time, but it is very fun.

It's too bad that stealing stuff is unbalanced in the game though, because a character who steals when they have to or one that steals because they like it are both completely valid RP characters. It just should be harder to steal so that people playing those characters could have a challenge.

The funniest thing about not stealing stuff is that:........I'm not really having any money troubles, there's actually plenty of money and goods given to you legitemately through doing quests and such, and you can make plenty of cash gathering ingredients and selling potions or just pricier ingredients, or buying or finding soul gems, charging them and selling them back.
Post Sat May 18, 2002 10:40 am

Nogame
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

novel idea

Here's a novel idea, how about you just 'play' the game?

=)
Post Sat May 18, 2002 1:45 pm
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Agreed with most, just play the damn game. If "Roleplaying" was just making 32980238430298 chars til you are happy then in Real Life I'd kill myself and start over..I need more STR.
Post Sun May 19, 2002 3:13 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Yeah... I would definately have chosen PER and STR instead of SAR (Sarcasm) and MES (Mean Streak). Man, this whole real life generator business is a rip off anyways. Roll once for each attribute and you have to keep them, only slightly able to modify them over time... I think God should go to point buy...

Whoa... holy sleep deprivation kicking in...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun May 19, 2002 4:28 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next