Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
The framerates are ridiculous and unacceptable....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
OldScho0l74
Village Leader
Village Leader

Morrowind vs. Unreal Engine (Can't Compare)

Morrowind Can NOT be compared to the new Unreal engine!!! Morrowind is HUGE. Unreal Maps are tiny and have no interactive components like Morrowind. I have purchased nearly every PC game that has been released in the past 5 years and none can compare to what Morrowind offers in the SP RPG area. The engine is fantastic and runs fine on yer machine. It's an RPG not a FPS. NEVER COMPARE THE 2! I play Tribes 2 and when it was released last year, people said the same things about performance. A year later the game is showing it's true beauty. I get 20-70 FPS outside in Morrowind and it is very acceptible.

P4 2.2
Abit TH7 II Mobo
512 Megs 800 Mhz RDRAM
40 Gig WD HDD 7200 RPM
Visiontek Xtasy Geforce3 Ti 500
Audigy X-Gamer
All Latest Drivers
1600x1200x32 (EVERYTHING CRANKED)

I understand your disappointment about performance but if your watching your FPS instead of what's happening in the game, you will surely be unhappy. Do yourself a favor and turn off FRAPS or whatever you use to measure FPS. You will only be happy when you get to playing.

Good Luck.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 1:52 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

I was reading every fifth or so post, and I see lots of people disappointed. Hell I'm one of them; FPS is killing me especially in towns (5 to 10, this patch didn't help). But I still return to play this game, why? Because this is almost the best RPG ever made, I would be in seven heaven if I didn't have this chopiness (that's where this almost comes in ) from time to time.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 3:12 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I have a DELL Inspiron 8000. The sound card is an ESS Maestro.

In regards to the GeForce4MX, it is the only choice I have other than the Radeon 7500. Since I have a laptop I am VERY limited to the GPU's I can get. The GeForce4MX will give me almost double my current performance. This has been verified by benchmarks etc on the Dell Talk forum.

And yeah you are right, I wont have DirectX 8.1 compatability. It realy REALY sucks, but as I mentioned above I dont have any option that can support that.

And I promise you, I am realy not exagerating about the falling through the floor thing. It has happened at least six times. When it does it just lets me fall for a second or two and then I get teleported back up to where I was.
Post Sat May 11, 2002 4:49 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote

And I promise you, I am realy not exagerating about the falling through the floor thing. It has happened at least six times. When it does it just lets me fall for a second or two and then I get teleported back up to where I was.

Oh yeah... that same thing happened to me once! It was on the road to Baalmora from Seyda Neem. I just went poof and then I was falling toward some water then, all of a sudden, I was right back where I started. It only happened that one time but, now that you've described it, I know exactly what you're talking about!
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Sat May 11, 2002 2:26 pm
Sledgehammer
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

This is a long thread...

To sum up for those who are just joining us:

Yes, some are experiencing bugs with this game, bad performance, and more. However, many (including myself) are enjoying relatively bug-free gameplay (only two crashes in 50 hours, got stuck a few times but wiggled out). Some are concerned that their extremely fast systems don't run the game much faster than their mid-range counterparts. This is partly true. Most can't play this game with the options all turned up. Is that acceptable? Well, that's up to you. Maybe, maybe not.

<soapbox>Let's be careful, though, not to be too quick to label those who are having problems as "idiots", while at the same time not labeling the game as "bug-ridden" and "unplayable". Most are reporting fine performance with the game; I myself have tried it on three systems ranging from Duron 900 Geforce 2 to XP1800+ Geforce3 with great results. I don't work for any game company, but I want more people to buy this game so that Bethesda can make more games like it.</soapbox>
Post Sat May 11, 2002 7:05 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11