Usergroups
FRAMERATE BOOST - "unofficial patch"
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
PraetorJudis
Village Leader
Village Leader

I haven't tested this yet myself, but there are users reporting an improvement in fps from changing the way lighting is handled. Evidently, quadratic lighting has better performance then linear. Here's the pertinent modified snippet from the .ini file.

UseLinear=0
LinearMethod=1
LinearValue=3.0
LinearRadiusMult=1.0
;
UseQuadratic=1
QuadraticMethod=2
QuadraticValue=16.0
QuadraticRadiusMult=4.0
;

I'll try it out and report back my findings later tonight.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 12:50 am

cool, let us know. this patch helped out a lot though, and i am getting pretty good fps now. i was pissed when i first loaded the game and saw how jumpy it was, got online and found this.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 4:14 am

well, I copied and pasted it about 10 times, then created a new short-cut, and no matter what it still askes for the CD, so for me it ain't workin. I know the new hosted .exe is different because it's about 3.6megs, and the origional is over 4, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong but it doesn't work for me.
Scott
Post Tue May 07, 2002 4:16 am

Update:
I directly clicked on the newly downloaded .exe, and it still askes for the CD, so this is without even trying the shortcut. I think we have a problem with the hosted .exe
Post Tue May 07, 2002 4:28 am

Jamison
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
well, I copied and pasted it about 10 times, then created a new short-cut, and no matter what it still askes for the CD, so for me it ain't workin. I know the new hosted .exe is different because it's about 3.6megs, and the origional is over 4, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong but it doesn't work for me.
Scott

The file is not a no-cd crack. You will still need the cd in the drive when you start the game. The file only gives you better performance.

Last edited by Jamison on Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue May 07, 2002 4:32 am

Ok, I will re-install the patch and see how it goes, thanks
Scott
Post Tue May 07, 2002 5:25 am

Mr_Happy

Thanks !!

If this patch works, YOU Daniel are the hero of the day !
Post Tue May 07, 2002 10:56 am

Incindium
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Yay.. after using the safedisk removed hacked exe last night for 5 hours I can say that it definatly gets my mark of approval. I now get around 20 FPS in Balmora and higher everywhere else so far. I'm also playing at 1280x960 now and the stuttering problem is almost totally gone. Also now I can see a distinct framerate change by modifing the view distance or the AI settings where before the fps didn't change much no matter whatever I had them set at.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 3:33 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

I am very computer illiterate. Do I understand you correctly by saying that I all do is download this file, put it into the Morrowind directory, click on the file and "create short cut" the re-name the old Morrowind start game file. And that's all.
You're saying that this safedisk program slows down frame rate and this new start file will start the game and not start safedisk?
Again, just replace the file and nothing else?

I don't have a clue about what you're talking about "crack" and "no-cd". I have the original game, just bought it yesterday. Have pentium III 1.0 with geforce 3 ti200 and did not see the "nice" water scenes in the opening scene where you walk out of the ship and create a character. Will this help? And, with this "no-cd" do I take the CD out of the player or something? I'm trying to simply my questions so I can expect a simplified answer.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 4:33 pm
Swiftraven
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yup

Download the unsafedisc file. You will STILL need to have the cd in the drive. Unzip the file if it is zipped (the one I got from gamecopyworld was in ACE format and was made by Yan). The file is named Morrowind-nocd.exe. I took this executable and put it in the same directory as the Morrowind.exe that is installed by the game (I left the original Morrowind.exe alone since the new executable is named differently). I then created a shortcut to the Morrowind-nocd.exe and use it to start the game. The difference on my Athlon 750@810 and Radeon VIVO 64 meg has been like night and day. I am now running at 1024x768 with barely any noticable stuttering when I turn quickly or load a new area. This "patch" has made a world of difference and I hope it helps you like it did me.

Swiftraven
Post Tue May 07, 2002 5:15 pm

The .ace file won't let me extract it, and I can't download the .exe file!? What's going on here, can someone let me in on this big "patch"? I understand how to use it, but i just can't get it.

Thanks
Post Wed May 08, 2002 2:50 am

Grifman
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I never created a new shortcut. There a two file, the Morrowind Launcher and the Morrowind.exe file. I replaced the exe file, then launched the game from the old shortcut, which uses the Launcher, not the exe file.

Grifman
Post Wed May 08, 2002 2:55 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by PraetorJudis

UseLinear=0
LinearMethod=1
LinearValue=3.0
LinearRadiusMult=1.0
;
UseQuadratic=1
QuadraticMethod=2
QuadraticValue=16.0
QuadraticRadiusMult=4.0
;

I'll try it out and report back my findings later tonight.

How did this work for you? And does it make the graphics look worse? I might try it out just for kicks even though I'm not really having probs running my game.
Post Wed May 08, 2002 2:55 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

I just tried the above about lighting and just wanted to post my results.

It honestly didn't seem to do anything. Improve or disimprove my performance..
Post Wed May 08, 2002 3:09 am
A-Vizion

Hi all,

To start with - I haven't applied this patch yet - but from what I read it's gonna help... so I have my hopes high

I got the game a few days ago, and tried it on my:

Asus 3800 TNT2 Ultra (only 32mb)
TBird 900
512 MB SDRAM (133)

Framerate was... -20? Even in 640x480 with ALL turned down I almost couldn't play that game. So I ordered a GF4 Ti 4400... (this is going to be the most expensive game I have EVER bought).

Now I get 80-120 FPS inside, but outside I only get 15-20 FPS and I do have a lot of stuttering if I set "View Distance" (VD) to "Far". Having VD around 1/2 or even 3/4 seems to be OK - but definately not great!

So to re-cap... I'm looking forward trying this patch. And I would have expected MW (Morrowind) to work fine after applying a GF4 - but it didn't.

What I also am going to try is updating my Via 4in1 drivers... I've seen that suggestion elsewhere. Also - I am running with the latest Detonator drivers from nVidia.

// A-Vizion

PS: Please write your system specs. when replying or writing new posts about game performance... it really helps to compare statements. Even if you already stated your specs. once - do it again next time you write - thanks
Post Wed May 08, 2002 8:47 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next