I'm having problems with the game
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Yaaj
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm having problems with the game

I kept hearing how this game was so much better then Morrowind (which IMO I think Morrowind is the best CRPG I've played since Daggerfall), so I ran out and bought it a few days ago. Right now I'm having problems with the game. Right now I'm at a loss as to what to do. I've been to the Old Camp and the Swamp Camp and all the quests I have gotten I can't do for one reason or another. So far I've only been able to do two quests, one of them was collecting worms and mushrooms for a cook, and the other one was to let some guy lead me to the Swamp Camp. I did both of those and that's how I got to level two. The rest of the quests I've gotten are next to impossiable to do. One quests I need to do is talk to some digger in the Old Camp into joining the Swamp Camp, which I can't even do. Everytime I walk into the Old Camp I end up getting killed because I don't have enough ore to pay the guards. Another quest I have is to goto the Old Mines and do something, but I can't do it because I don't have enough ore to buy a map so I can find my way there. And the last quest I have I need to cast a spell on a Novice so a Guru will talk to me, but I need to buy the spell and the Guru that sells the spells won't talk to me (even if he did I wouldn't be able to buy the spell because I don't have enough ore).

The only way I know how to get ore is to kill stuff and sell their meat, but I can't even kill anything thanks to the crappy controls of the game. I've given up on trying to kill stuff. Unless there is training dummies somewhere so I can pratice the combat system I doubt I'm gonna even bother to figure out how to swing a weapon.

I'm about to just give up on the game. I've been playing it for the last three days playing three to five hours a day. The sad thing is I really want to like this game, but the developers seem to have forgotten that when someone starts a new game that their characters are going to be weak. Right now the game seems like it's more setup for mid-high level characters, or characters that have enough ore to buy weapons and armor. Here's the funny part; You need ore to buy weaons and you need weapons to earn ore, there's is no middle ground. I have a weapon, a pick axe if you want to call that a weapon, but it's way to weak and slow to kill anything.

Sorry if this was posted in the wrong fourm. I couldn't decide if it should go here or in the Hint and Tips board.
Post Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:56 pm
TheMadGamer
High Emperor
High Emperor

Don't Give Up

When I first bought gothic, the controls plus the level of difficulty getting started had me put gothic on the shelf for 3 months. Then one day I decided to try again and spent a little time researching info on the net (rpgdot has a good faq for the game) and got the controls down and some hellp on the first few quests.

That was enough to kick start me into really enjoying the great game that it is. And it's true, once you work with the controls for a while they aren't really that bad... though I really hope they improve them anyway. Good luck.
Post Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:36 pm
Yaaj
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, but extactly how long does it take to learn the controls? Rignt now my game clock says I've put 21 hours and 15 mins in the game, and I'm lucky if I can even hit something with my pick axe before I get killed.

Unless there's a FAQ/Guide that help you learn the control system in the game none of the other FAQs/Guides out there will be of much use to me. I like to figure out quests and puzzles myself.
Post Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:08 am
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Our FAQ will help your problems.
If it doesn't, you need serious help.
Post Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:06 am
Yaaj
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by TheMightyPaladin
Our FAQ will help your problems.
If it doesn't, you need serious help.

Ok, I've looked over the guides and not one of them was a guide on how to figure out how to do combat. All of them were quest and cheat guides, which I am not looking for.
Post Fri Aug 23, 2002 6:21 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

For combat, pressing 'action' and 'forward' is enough for starters.
To get ore: collect everything you find, kill every smaller critter you manage to kill and sell the stuff to Fisk et.al. in the Old Camp to get your first few ore nuggets. Explore the hill you're coming down when you start, you'll find many berries etc.

About the protection money: don't care about Jackal, he won't care if you pay him or not. And you can evade Bloodwyn... just walk the inner ring instead of the outer ring when you see him stroll around from afar.

There are many beginner's quests: ask all the named shadows if you can do anything for them.
Post Fri Aug 23, 2002 6:28 am
Yaaj
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

That's what I do, but when I lmb+forwad (I use the left mouse button for all my action commands, I really hate using the keyboard) to try to hit whatever I'm fighting I always miss, then whatever I'm fighting moves to the right out me. When that happens I don't have enough time to pick up my mouse and put it in the center of my mouse mat (I have the game on it's maximum sensitive setting for the mouse, but mouse control is still slow) so I can turn around and face whatever I'm fighting, and by the time I get that done I'm dead.

I've tried to play with the keyboard, but oh my god the controls suck even more, plus I hate the fact that it takes forever to turn around using the keyboard, the mouse control may be slow but not half as slow as trying to turn with the keyboard.

Aslo, there is no more berries for me to collect that's by the two towns I've been to, I've picked them all up. All the ore I got from selling them as gone to pay off Bloodwyn so I don't get killed from whoever he hires to strongarm me. At the moment I only have one ore, and I'll probably lose that the next time I go into the Old Camp to get some rest. Can anyone tell me how I can sleep outside?

Last edited by Yaaj on Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:00 am
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

Okay... it seems you're more frustrated with the controls than not being able to get or complete quests. Am I right?

Yes, for many people the worst part about Gothic was the controls, but most of them admit after they get used to it that Gothic is a great game... and the controls are okay... just hard initially.

I think the key is getting your timing right. Then getting your combos for the most effective damage. Practice in an open area without people or creatures first. If you do forward, forward, forward with the right timing, you'll do a pretty cool, continuous move and advance forward at the same time. Or, you can just swing right, left... continuously. If done right, nothing can penetrate your swing arc from the front. You can also add a forward into your left,right sequence if your prey is backing off.

Then practice with some weaker creatures after you're more used to it, like molerats amd scavengers. There should also be some juvenile scavengers around, along the path from where you started to the old camp.

When you're stronger, with better armour, these guys just become pesky annoyances nothing more than a single blow to take care off. So, go on and take them out n' get yer'self some experience too!
Post Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:00 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

You needn't pay Bloodwyn. If you know who his thugs are, go out of their way.
Post Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:17 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Yaaj
I'm not trying to be an ass or anything, but extactly how long does it take to learn the controls? Rignt now my game clock says I've put 21 hours and 15 mins in the game, and I'm lucky if I can even hit something with my pick axe before I get killed.

Less than 15 minutes for me, caused by the incredibly bad manual.
But the controls seem to be worse in the English version.

quote:

Unless there's a FAQ/Guide that help you learn the control system in the game none of the other FAQs/Guides out there will be of much use to me. I like to figure out quests and puzzles myself.

JemyM´s FAQ has an own chapter for melee combat and a few other chapters for the other controls.

Combo attacks are all about timing. For example if you´re doing a l-r-l-r... combo you have to press LMB + _r_ when your left swing is above your sholder ( = ready to swing in the other direction).
LMB + forward exposes your position because you make a step forward. Most other attacks & combos maintain your position.

Without an armour you should only fight single small enemies. You have no chance against wolves and most humans. You should invest your first few skillpoints in strength because directly inflicts your damage.
We can tell you where to get good equipment for free if you want to know it.
Ore is not that important. You only need it for armour and training. Everything else can and should be paid in goods.
Post Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:45 pm
Gothic7
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

don't even worry about bloodwyns thugs, if i remember right, they are just some diggers with clubs...
Post Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:48 pm
Yaaj
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the help, I was able to get the combat system down, my problem was with the timing. I kept pressing the keys that you use to swing too fast. What really helped though was buying on skill level in one-handed weapons. One of the frist things I did as soon as I got the combat system down was take care of Bloodwyns thugs. I allowed Grim to lead me to the other two diggers outside of the walls, then beat them down until they ran away, then I killed one of them with my bow. After that I looked for the second diggers but couldn't find him, so I went back to the camp and found him sitting there eating some meat. I walked up to him then expecting him to put up another fight, but to my surprise he begging for his life. He said, "Give it up man. You've won." but that wasn't enough for me, so I took out my sword and gave him a few wacks until he passed out then plunged my sword into his heart. After that I went looking for Grim, found him inside of the camp. This is when I had my first fun part in the game, Grim decided to run from me, so I drew my weapon and chased him around half the camp before I caught up with him and finally caught up with him in the trading square. I sliced him a few times before he feel, then I walked up to him, looked at him, then stabbed my sword into his gut, then stood there a few seconds watching the blood spill.

*sighs*
I'm really starting to love this game.
Post Fri Aug 23, 2002 11:13 pm
Xelis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Good luck, Yaaj.
Post Sat Aug 24, 2002 1:52 am
Gothic7
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

See!?! once you learn the controls this will be one of the funest games you've played!
Post Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:15 am
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

See. see! So now, hows'it compare with Morrowind? It only gets better from hereon, ya' know.
Post Sat Aug 24, 2002 5:08 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next