Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
would you play free text-based RPG, if the game was awesome?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Would you play this?
Yes
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

Author Thread
Ammon77
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

would you play free text-based RPG, if the game was awesome?

Please view my next post about Mists of Angra-Mord for further info. Some decisions have been made that change the project.

Last edited by Ammon77 on Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:16 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Umm... You shouldn't get discouraged so quickly... It takes some time for people to answer sometimes. If after 2 days no one answered then you might give up, but hey, it's only been a few hours!!

Ok, I answered no. A very unfortunate no. Let me explain why. I used to love the idea of text adventures, but the problem is the computer screen and the current crop of graphical games. I must admit that I am a graphic and visual junkie. I have a very keen hunger for images. Oh, I read books, I love it, and they let my imagination run wild. But for some reason when computer games are concerned I need graphics.
The second reason I wouldn't play it even if it was the best text based adventure they had ever thought up is the computer screen. It's tiring to read text on the computer screen. My poor eyes turn red after trying to read on screen for too many hours... Heck, they start hurting after playing NWN for too long because i have to read in there, and the text is limited.
I know I would probably be missing on some very good games, but I'm sorry technology has spoken to me and I can never go back, same as people could never go back to listen to radio all day now that we have television. I can't bring myself to like a text-based adventure. I've tried a few times, but it never stuck, no matter how well written they were.
Post Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:05 pm
Ammon77
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i understand, and have come to a tough conclusion. i am going to make the game anyway, but differently. i will go with my original plan, which was to make a full-fledged CRPG title called "Mists of Angra-Mord."

i have made a complete graphics and sound system, including files support, mouse and keyboard input, everything. so i think i will repost above and this time include the information about my new decision, which is: i am going to use what i have made and continue work on the game from there.

what i have finished and have fully functioning includes:

-- fullscreen 16-bit graphics capability at 1024x768 using DirectX (hard to do)
-- full compatibility for Windows 98SE and XP (i dont know about the other OS's; havent tested for those yet!)
-- a rudimentary files system which works! (easy to do)
-- full DirectX functionality for mouse input and keyboards (easy to do)
-- full functionality for using wav sound files with DirectX (easy to do)
-- completed text sentences / text-display functions (was hard to do)
-- a complete alpha-blending function for spell effects, weather, ghosts, ect
-- various other integral functions

But the real content work is just beginning. I have TONS left to do, besides the daunting task of implementing the game itself. I need to make sophisticated buttons input, text input (for player inputting the characters name and in dialogs), landscape displays, et cetera. My only regret is that it will be a 2D game, like Baldurs Gate. Combat will be eagle-eye, turn-based, actually be very much reminiscent of the original AD&D titles like Curse of Azure Bonds and Pool of Radiance. Animations wont be so good, but oh well. Luckily i am a one-man team: programmer, artist, sound-tech, everything. It will be purely one man's game, unless others join up, which might happen eventually if i get funding; but i have doubts about funding: everyone needs funding and hardly anyone gets it.

I dont have much money (SSI fixed income), but i have nothing better to do. I just feel that the CRPG needs better games, and i am determined to make one that everyone is gonna love. Plus its a good learning experience and might lead my fixed life into better prospects eventually. I am working alone so this will take about 10 years to make. Buts gonna be fun. I just need support from "fans" and perhaps some financial aid to make this work faster. Reason it will take so long is lack of money and the fact that i am the only person working on it, hehe. its just a project of mine i have had for some years since college. anyway, i am going to repost the revised info up above for some feedback. I dont have a website for the project regrettably, due to lack of funding.

-- "Mists of Angra-Mord" is subject to copyright by Daniel Dee Stott in 2002.
Post Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:43 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Sounds like a cool project! Hopeyou find the help needed. I know how hard it is to be alone on these things sometimes, but if you stick to it you'll have the biggest battle won allready
Post Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:56 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Good luck with your project, but I voted "no" for myself.

Like Ekim, I love the immersion that good graphics provides (such as Gothic) and there are enough good games in development to keep me busy. I usually have a list of games I haven't gotten around to yet.

And, like Ekim again, my eyes tire. Old age is setting in...

I consider myself a hard-core RPG player, but there are players far more dedicated than I - and they would probably revel in it, so good luck.
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 3:29 am
Erb Duchenne
Slayer
Slayer

Not in your life, baby!

(I'm a graphics, voiceacting, sound effects and atmospheric music junkie)

But I WILL try it out if asked to be a friend.
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 4:44 am
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

Why are there two yes' and two nos
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 4:56 am
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon77
I dont have much money (SSI fixed income), but i have nothing better to do. I just feel that the CRPG needs better games, and i am determined to make one that everyone is gonna love. Plus its a good learning experience and might lead my fixed life into better prospects eventually. I am working alone so this will take about 10 years to make. Buts gonna be fun. I just need support from "fans" and perhaps some financial aid to make this work faster. Reason it will take so long is lack of money and the fact that i am the only person working on it, hehe. its just a project of mine i have had for some years since college. anyway, i am going to repost the revised info up above for some feedback. I dont have a website for the project regrettably, due to lack of funding.

-- "Mists of Angra-Mord" is subject to copyright by Daniel Dee Stott in 2002.

Good luck, Ammon! I always respect people who follow thru with their love of something and put work into it. If you ever need feedback about any aspect of the development, just let us know!

Even if it doesn't work out, you're gonna feel good for trying, and you'll have plenty of good experience should you ever want to join a development team

- Wind
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 7:28 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Good Luck Ammon. Creating a game is a lot of hard work, but that you know, anyway . I'm not necessarily a graphics freak... I'd try it.
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:53 am
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

As I recently started playing Wasteland again after a long break, I would definately play a text-based game. Although I like pretty graphics and good sounds, I play any game that has a good story and atmosphere.

- Member of The Nonflamers' Guild -
- Member of The Alliance of Middle-Earth -
- Worshiper of Written Word -
- Proud supporter of E.H.U.A.O -
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:42 pm
Ammon77
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

UPDATE: the game will now have 16-bit (actually 24-bit bitmap) graphics, both professional and custom sounds, mouse support, keyboard, file system support, all using a mix of DirectX 7.0 and DirectX 8.1, et cetera. In Mists of Angra-Mord you will have a true fantasy-setting, high-adventure CRPG that is steeped in both fiction and realism, with everything (at least i hope everything) in between. It will be a role-players heaven.

The game, fortunately, will not be text-based anymore, so this poll is likely worth moot now; meaning, it doesnt make a difference what you vote now since i have decided to take the long haul for this game instead of the short and easy path. Really, it will be recieved much better among the community if it has decent graphics (even if 2D) and good sound; rather than pleasing a few, i would be pleasing a lot more minority CRPG hardcore fans. Its a hard road alone, but i love my game enough to finish it. Also, did i mention that the game will be FREE? -- that is, it will be free *unless* i find a publisher OR a website that would host such a large download. Maybe it could be a $9.99 game -- we will see how things turn out ten years hence. Anyway, thanx for the positive support, i do really need it. Back to grinding powder for me, hehe...
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 4:06 pm