FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Bull's Eye or Black Eye?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

Bull's Eye or Black Eye?

I tried Archery on monsters. This made the monsters very angry, so they ran over to me and started killing me. Usually, by the time I could finally change to a one handed weapon I was already dead. Is this the way Archery is supposed to work in Gothic?
Post Thu May 09, 2002 4:49 pm

You need to learn how to handle your weapons more effectively. Maybe if you didn't shoot arrows at monsters they wouldn't bother you.
Post Thu May 09, 2002 5:24 pm

Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You were able to change to a melee weapon over the time? What´s so complicated in pressing '1'?
Post Thu May 09, 2002 6:09 pm
Moonslash
Celestial Guardian
Celestial Guardian

After you've shot the monster, try to turn back and run while switching the weapon. This gives you some distance and time.

Things are neither completely bright nor dark.

Do you go right? Or do you go left? A simple decision, yes? No ambiguities. Only the dream of the path not taken! And so one might stand in this place and contemplate for a long while. What will I miss if I go left? What will I lose if I go right? And in my indecision, have I chosen a worse fate?
Post Thu May 09, 2002 10:15 pm
the COOH
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

If you really want to be a good archer, you have to know how to hunt! This is a skill you can't buy in the game; it only comes from experience.

The best thing to do, is train to master in both bow and cross bow. Then work on your dexterity. The better trained you are, and the more dexterity you have the quicker you can fire off arrows and the more accurate you will be.

Now, to be an effective archer you have to be able to take advantage of your surroundings. For example, if there is a ledge or big rock, clime up on top. This will give you a better view and if you don't kill your target, it keeps you at a save distance.

Another little trick is. Run as fast as you can, than cross a bridge. This way the animal that is attacking you has to cross the bridge. If your strength is high enough, and you have a powerful bow (like cross bow of war!) you can actually push the animal back. Thus allowing you to load and shoot again. Since they are stuck on the bridge, they have no where to go.

To be a pure archer in this game is not possible. You will have to carry a weapon, or use magic. But playing as an archer gives the game a much different feel.

As for pulling out your weapon faster; the best advice is to learn how long it takes you to get your weapon ready, than make sure that you are far enough away from your target so that you can shoot off some arrows and still have enough time to pull your weapon. If all else fails, RUN LIKE HELL!
Post Thu May 09, 2002 10:36 pm
HeWhoHasNoName
Lord of Sorrows
Lord of Sorrows

I presume you are only early in the game. If you want to be a good archer just increase your dex and get the bow skills. At the start of the game the bow is wuite useful to kill people and monsters that have high weapon armour but not high arrow armour. (Like the dam lurker.)
Be careful not to kill Named people though.
=Member of The Sports Fan Club=
Post Fri May 10, 2002 9:35 am
Moonslash
Celestial Guardian
Celestial Guardian

quote:
Originally posted by HeWhoHasNoName
If you want to be a good archer just increase your dex and get the bow skills.

Dexterity determines the distance you can shoot.
Bow Skills determine the accuracy.

Those are what Wolf said.

Things are neither completely bright nor dark.

Do you go right? Or do you go left? A simple decision, yes? No ambiguities. Only the dream of the path not taken! And so one might stand in this place and contemplate for a long while. What will I miss if I go left? What will I lose if I go right? And in my indecision, have I chosen a worse fate?
Post Sat May 11, 2002 1:02 am