playing as ranger in G2?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

playing as ranger in G2?

I may be wrong but it seems noway you can play the role of a predominent ranger in G2, unlike as in G1. It is for at least 2 things:

1. You need to beat up the mercenaries by the sword in Onar farm and you need to be a very good fighter to beat Sentenza and Bullco.

2. There isn't enough arrows or bolts in C1.

Besides that, the FAQ never mentions the role of ranger. So it also steer you away from it.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:46 pm
megadav
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

You can be a paladin, then you don't have to kill those guys. And magic is ranged attack
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:26 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: playing as ranger in G2?

quote:
Originally posted by kingsorel
I may be wrong but it seems noway you can play the role of a predominent ranger in G2, unlike as in G1. It is for at least 2 things:

1. You need to beat up the mercenaries by the sword in Onar farm and you need to be a very good fighter to beat Sentenza and Bullco.

2. There isn't enough arrows or bolts in C1.

Besides that, the FAQ never mentions the role of ranger. So it also steer you away from it.

To beat up Sentenza and bullco is simple with a bow or crossbow just make him to go angry at you and then run to some place where the oponent cant hit you like on the tent of a Woodchopper and then just shoot the oponent till he has not much energy left and then just hit him with a hand or with a sword
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:37 pm
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

re: ranger

You will kill the opponents with a bow. And if you hit other guys they will not take it kindly.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:01 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

You can become a range character. I did it once with a bow. You can do like your a mage and learn a little fighting to be able to beat up some guys and then go for archery.

Just like being a mage it's a little harder. Also you can't kill every monster with a bow. Undead creatures and Trolls have very high pierce armor and there are no magic arrows or bows (yet, they will be in the addon).

About the amount of arrows, you'll have plenty. Most merchants will restock their arrows every time you buy them. I never ran out of arrows, when I used archery.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:00 pm
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

re: ranger in G2

I tried it once but I gave it up mid way since it doesn't seem possible to kill dragons ,trolls, golems and undead dragon. I also guess that it would be near impossible to clean the Inubis tomb with a bow.

BTW, I played paladin a couple of times and was pretty good. But then when I started to clean up the orcs and wargs around the castle at the end of chapter 5 got tired of all the slashings and choppings( it is about 2 levels worth of them). I like one on one sword fighting, though and it is the main reason I select fighter/mage.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:04 pm
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

When you go up against one orc you can just swing you weapon left-right-left-right-left using the Delete and Page Down button's. When you just rapidly swing it the orc can never get close enough to hit you. This work best with one-handed weapons and you'll have to be trained to do it right.

About bows, I never train bow, x-bow or a lot of dexterity. They are very weak against skeletons and others kinds of monster. I always train strenght and fighting skill as a merc and mana and magic circles as mage, I also don't think I'm gone train much ranged as a paly.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:47 pm
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

re: G2 ranger

Well, I noticed that an orc coming at you always raised its weapon high. At that moment, if your timing is right you can give it a lot of damage.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:21 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

It's possible but you have to play as Paladin. I don't think it's possible for mercenary until very late in the game.

You have to use a dexterity based weapon in the very beginning, like rapier or master sword for melee.

In chapter one, grab the rapier. Grab the dex potion from field raider's nest. Raise your dex to 50 by spending 35 LP and no more. The rest will raised with alchemy and items. Spend 20 points on 1 handed combat to get to fighter status. Spend 20 points on both bow and crossbow. 5 points on skinning animals. You need to decide if you want bow or crossbow. 30 more points will get you to 60%. You will be killing things from a distance left and right. That's only 130 LP.

In chapter 2, grab the dexterity amulet. That will raise it to 65. Get the dex ring from VOM, that will raise it to 75. There are 3 dex potions from mercents when you come back from VOM. That will raise it to 90. It will take you only 2 bolts to kill an orc warrior given a decent crossbow. The main point I am trying to make is, you don't need a lot of LP to become very good at archery.

In my game, I stopped improving my shooting skill and started on my melee skill. The reason was that I wasn't sure if dex factor into a dex based weapon. I think it does but not entirely. Eventually I stopped using master sword and used a real weapon. I spend all points on strength and swords until chapter 5. I didn't max out on crossbow until chapter 6. Anyways, you can keep spending points on bow or xbow beyond 60% if you want, but I wouldn't spend more on dex. If you don't have good melee ability, stone golems will give you fits.

Crossbow is very useful for a paladin. Holy arrow rune doesn't work on beasts. If you a group of monster chases you, you can bring down one or two before they get close. After that, you run backward and switch to melee weapon and fight. If there is only 1 monster left, you can dodge their attack, let it run past you and shoot at it from point blank range.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:09 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Where can you get the rapier so easily. I only found it behind the two Trolls near Grom the hunter, but (certainly if you go dex-based) how are you able to kill those beasts without a good weapon??
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:30 am
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

Trolls aren't difficult to kill, they just take a long time. If you ron behind them and strafe around them so they are always facing away from you then you are free to hack away to your hearts content.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:50 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: re: G2 ranger

quote:
Originally posted by kingsorel
Well, I noticed that an orc coming at you always raised its weapon high. At that moment, if your timing is right you can give it a lot of damage.

I know, I'm playing as a mage now, I'm very low on melee and it takes about 15 hits to kill an Orc Warrior. I use that technique every time. Let him run a me and as his weapon is at it's highest point I hit him and walk backward to block his attack. When I'm far enough he'll do the same thing again and I just repeat the thing I have done.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:54 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

thats how you need to play the game find every monsters weakness and u finish the game in no time
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:29 pm
kingsorel
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

re: G2 ranger

Well, the backside of a troll is much less vulnerable than its front. My tactics is to go straight at it when it was throwing his two front paws up in air then finish it with 3-5 quick slashes. My mage killed all 3 brown trolls this way. However, at the end of C1 my fighter mage is a master swordman(60%) and has 125 strength. Needless to say, my mage can kill any orc easily and can handle two warriors with not much trouble.

BTW, Joeman I like to read your post but can you keep your post shorter.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:54 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm making a ranger at the moment and I plan on joining the mercs, I have 50 dex 15 str 30% with 1 handed 30% with the bow all the thief skills and about 40 spare LP and I'm not having any problems, I have just killed most of the skeletons in the forest and Im starting on the wargs now. I would say that it is easier this way.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:00 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next