Wow, Bard's Tale looks great
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
heavensblade
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Wow, Bard's Tale looks great

Well, i havent played any RPGs since KOTOR on the XBOX but this game his piqued my interest. I just read a preview of the Bard's Tale at Gamespy and i am impressed. I was thinking (from the name) that it was a re-make of the old bard's tale but the game being made looks like it'll be a different type of rpg with a mix of fun and entertaining elements.

Here is a quote from the preview:

quote:
Throughout the game, the bard will encounter numerous 14-year old kids that each thinks they are the "chosen one." Shortly after he meets a chosen one, the bard will witness the would-be heroes dying a gruesome death -- arrow through the head, decapitation, etc. As each chosen one bites the dust, a group of trow -- leprechaun-like creatures -- appear and sing a song about the gnarly death. It's like a morbid version of the Oompa Loompas from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

For those who have not yet seen this game, have a look at the preview at gamespy.

http://www.gamespy.com/previews/february04/bardstalemulti/

So is anyone else looking forward to this title?

OH BTW, i just noticed that the news page of RPGDot has a link to the preview.
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:28 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

It looks like it will be a good adventure game. I like rpgs so I probably wont pick it up.
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:48 am
Wolfgarou
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

i doubt it's an adventure game. looks more like a mix of hack & slash with rpg elements. Something like Divine Divinity.
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:17 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

I really don't know. It sounds like fun (as is their website) and I welcome a game that doesn't take itself seriously. On the other hand, every Snowblind-engined game I've seen looks like a clone and I don't know if we need another one. As Roqua rightly points out, we've haven't really heard about RPG elements and the funny sequences described sound *very* scripted - and lots of scripted events usually means linear and no-replay value. I'll sit on the fence for now.
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:11 am
Schattenherz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I doubt that I will buy this Game. Bard's Tale 2 was the first real RPG I played ... I liked the Class- and Magic-System, the Party of Seven and the Abiltiy to permanently Charm Monsters. I used to hunt powerful Creatures to add them to my Charakter-Roster and got dozens of self-created Maps (But I don't miss the Mapping-Stuff in new Games ). I fear it will be another Slaughtering of a good Name, as it has happend with Fallout.

As Dhruin said, the new Bard's Tale looks a lot like BG - Dark Alliance-Clone and this doesn't sound good to me - maybe I buy it when it get's a good review - from RPG-Codex !
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:00 pm
Dhruin

quote:
Originally posted by Schattenherz
maybe I buy it when it get's a good review - from RPG-Codex !

Not a snowflake's chance in hell.
Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:49 am