RPGDot Network    

Fallout: The Brotherhood of Steel (Xbox)
Display full image
Pic of the moment
More
pics from the gallery

Site Navigation

Main
   News
   Forums

Games
   Games Database
   Top 100
   Release List
   Support Files

Features
   Reviews
   Previews
   Interviews
   Editorials
   Diaries
   Misc

Download
   Gallery
   Music
   Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
crash/freeze problem
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Cable

crash/freeze problem

Hi, there. I'm experiencing a weird crash/freeze problem I can't seem to explain and troubleshoot.

First, my system:

P3 1 ghz
Win 98 SE
GeForce 4 4400
Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer
512 mb RAM

Second, the problem: Originally, when I started playing Morrowind, the game ran fine with no problems. During the first 20-30 hours of playing, I experienced no problems whatsoever. Recently, within the 30-50 hour range, I began experiencing inexplicible crashes to my desktop and a weird phenomena where the game just freezes and the mouse cursor becomes "unstuck" (for lack of a better word) and just moves around the screen as if it were on desktop although the frozen picture of the game is still onscreen and I can't seem to alt-tap or ctrl-alt-del out of it. Now, I play for only five minutes and one of the other of these crashes and freezes happen.

I should note that I haven't added any new software or hardware to my computer recently, and that my computer has remained in the same state it was in when I first started playing the game only two or three weeks ago.

I'm wondering if anyone else has been experiencing these strange incrimental crashes? If so, is there a possible solution for it? If not, will this be addressed in the upcoming patch?

This happens just north of Vivec (but I haven't made it much further out of this region, yet). I'm wondering if it's a problem with the game, or perhaps the game world in this particular area.

I'm thinking I might try to use the no-cd crack that's available and see what that does (backing up the original .exe file first, of course).

Anyway, thank you for your help and your time.
Post Mon May 27, 2002 9:21 pm

luis1
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

do you

install the official plug in?
i do that and i start to have alot of problems i duno is it have something to do with you problem but maybe
see you
Post Mon May 27, 2002 9:27 pm
Cable

I don't think it's the official plugin. The game was working fine, I believe, both before and after I used that. Not sure. I'm going to go try the no-cd crack....
Post Mon May 27, 2002 9:32 pm

Cable

I just used the no-cd crack, it failed to work properly, then I just put the old .exe back where it was. In the game, I moved north, out of the area I was in and up into a plantation. The game works fine now. I only played for maybe a half-hour but that five-minutes-of-playing-then-crash problem seems to be absent.

Anyway, just thought I'd get back to this if anyone else was experiencing the same problem. Odd, huh?
Post Mon May 27, 2002 10:20 pm

The Trooper

It happens to me as well, though only after I play for about 5-8 hours straight. I end up crashing to my desktop for no reason what so ever, all I end up doing, is re-loading to my last save (I save frequently) and try again. If it happens four or five times in a row, I end up turning off my PC for the night, and sleeping on it. The next day, when I come home from work, it runs fine for another 5-8 hours... I don't really have a problem with it, yes it's annoying, but with a game so great you have to expect a few quirks every now and then.
Post Mon May 27, 2002 11:29 pm

Cable

Yeah, by no means would I give up on such a fabulous game! It does seem to be this particular part of the map, however. I just got back on the game, accidentally wandered into this area, and found the weird freezing/mouse cursor problem. I suppose I'll just be avoiding the Cascadian Isles Region of the game until the patch comes out. Not that there isn't 3/4s of a island left unexplored yet.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 12:58 am

Doomisnear
Village Leader
Village Leader

Your by the plantation near Suran? That is a pretty wide open area with a good amount of NPCs so that could explain what is going on. What I had to do to keep the game from slowing down or dropping to desktop was to move around slower.

I can't wait to get a faster computer. Right now I am using a 1.3 GHz processor and I wish I had about four or five hundred more MGz to speed things up.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 3:00 am
Cable

I figured it might be something like that, but since I can't get around all that much, it's hard to tell what's in the area.

I wonder if I could turn the detail, resolution, etc. down to prevent the crash? I'm hoping that this is a problem for more people than just me so that it will get addressed in the patch. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem.

Anyway, thanks. Here's hoping there aren't anymore areas like this....
Post Tue May 28, 2002 2:55 pm

Simeon Tregarth
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Cable, I have no clue as to what is happening but I have had a very similar experience. Like you I had been playing the game for weeks without any crashes/freezes when suddenly it started happening with disturbing regularity. At first I thought it might be related to the "memory leak" that has been reported but in some cases the game has locked up within less than a minute after starting! I was in Al'druhn when it started but I have had lockups in other areas now as well. In one case I had alt-tabbed to Windows to check on memory utilization (trying to debug this) and the game received a Dr. Watson error while in the background. I have tried several things including completely turning off sound accelleration (I originally just had it turned down a notch) but still get the occasional lockup although seemingly not as many. I am still enjoying the game but I have to keep reminding myself to take frequent quicksaves in case I have to reboot...
Post Tue May 28, 2002 3:20 pm
Cable

That sounds like my problem. I just played the game for about 15 minutes before it locked up again--the screen froze and my desktop mouse cursor was visible and able to move around--and this was way up by the Telvanni towns! I'm hoping this problem doesn't begin infecting all areas in the world. Right now, I'm seeing what I can turn down, but I'm not sure what can be done. Anyone have any ideas?

And, even though the problem's annoying, it's good to know that other people are having these problems--I'm assuming now that they will be addressed in the patch. (My only problem is that if the problem persists, I'll have to find a game to play in the meantime.)
Post Tue May 28, 2002 4:20 pm

Dave
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well you can add another player to the list now. I'm having the exact same problem as you are. Here are my system specs:

Dell Dimension XPS B (RDRAM)
Windows 98SE
P3@733Mhz
384Mb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce2 64Mb DDR
Soundblaster Live!

Are systems are pretty different, so I wouldn't think this is a hardware specific problem (could be though, who knows). I also don't think the problem is related to any specific region within the game either. I've had the problem occur in numerous, different areas in the game.

I was able to play for about 12-13 hours (total playtime from the start of a new game, not a single session) without a single crash to the desktop. I felt very fortunate after seeing all the problems people were posting in the forums. Then all of a sudden bam! It happens like every 5, 10, 15 minutes. The frequency varies. I'll put up with about 3 crashes during a session, then I'll get discouraged and just quit the game for the night. I have the same sypmtoms as you Cable. The windows mouse cursor appears over a frozen image of the game, and I can't find anyway to get a response out of the system, short of pushing the reset button on the PC tower.

I've started playing Morrowind with the no-cd crack soon after I installed it. The game was very jumpy, choppy, and generally slow. This .exe did improve this problem greatly for me, though I've heard it didn't do much for other people. Other than that, I haven't used any mods (data files) or anything of that nature. I haven't made any soft/hardware changes to my system either. I haven't made any mods to the morrowind.ini file at all. I've only changed some of the settings under the options menu provided with the game. I turned the AI distance and the view distance down a great deal. I also turned the music down and set the environmental audio to low quality. Shadows are totally off as well. I only changed these options in an effort to improve the choppiness of the game, and I do believe they have made a difference. Note that I changed all these options before I started using the no-cd crack, and they did make a noticeable difference. Then after using the no-cd crack, I noticed even more of a difference. The game runs very smooth now, with the exception of the crashes we are talking about.

I can't really find any pattern in why this occurs. Sometimes it happens when I'm climbing a hill going out of a town area. Other times it has happened when I'm leaving a shop from the front door. And finally, I know it's happened when I've just been standing still and rotating (using the mouse). I agree this is extremely frustrating. I haven't played Morrowind in about 4 days now. I get so wrapped up in the game that I do forget to save, and I've lost about an hours worth of playtime several times now. I really hope Bethesda finds a solution to this problem. This is such a great game. At this point, I can't say if I'd continue to play or not, if this went unresolved. I'm leaning more to the not side though....
Post Tue May 28, 2002 5:09 pm
Loremaster
Village Leader
Village Leader

First off, I would recommend updating Windows to XP - it is an inherently more stable system than 98.

Second, if crashing is only ocurring after several hours play then the likely cause is over-heating, either of the CPU or the graphics card. Improved fans/ventilation (even just leaving the casing off will often work wonders) would assist, and switching off for a break then re-booting would also be an idea. Its a bad idea to sit at a monitor for 5 hours straight anyway, so give both your machine and your eyes/wrists etc a rest now and again .

Its possible that there are problem areas in the game world, but its more likely in my opinion that those areas are simply crowded ones in terms of NPC movements and that the additional level of activity is causing your system to fall over.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 5:17 pm
Simeon Tregarth
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Loremaster, I am running Windows 2000 Pro which is very stable so I don't think that has anything to do with it. I have also been monitoring my cpu temperature and it seems to be staying well within the safe range. The common denominator in all of this seems to be that the problem starts after about 20 to 30 hours of gameplay. Perhaps there are some internal limits that are being reached within the game data, some arrays or tables that are getting full. We could test this if someone who is experiencing the problem would be willing to start the game over with a brand new character and see how long it takes for the lockups to come back...
Post Tue May 28, 2002 5:40 pm
rpggod
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Hello all
Don’t now if this will work for you but it worked for me just bought the game and was playing for as few hours no prob but alter a will the game started to shut down and levees in the desktop now all I have a p3 600 256 ram and a geo mx 64mgs after doing some testing I noticed that the game would crash after a few zones so what I started to do was shut down running programs in the background to see if it would run better and to test what I would do is go to the first dungeon next to the first town sorry forgot the name and just zone in and out after about 5 times of this the game would crash entered again and the same thing after about 5 times of zoning in and out it would crash after 3 times off crashing I noticed that my desktop wallpaper disapierd and would take some time reaper and I remember that wean you have wallpaper it takes a nice chunk of memory I toke the wall paper off and left just a normal color in the back ground and started to do it again but this time I zoned in and out about 20 times and it didn’t crash have been playing for about 2 hours after this and the game hasten crashed plus now I lode areas much faster don’t now if this will work for everybody but it has worked for me hope you guys fix your problems cause in the little time I have been playing the game has been really kick ass

Also was wondering that since the day runs I mean gets daytime and night time does that factor in on quest or can I stay 3 months in the first town and wont affect any quest or do I have to move a long at a faster pace and not be so much time in the same town???

sorry for eany errors in text my inglish is not that good
Post Tue May 28, 2002 5:56 pm
Loremaster
Village Leader
Village Leader

rpggod,

Your English is fine, a few full stops and it would have been perfect !

Thanks for your comments. There are no time limits on any quests, you can take them on and complete them whenever you feel like it.

Simeon,

I was really addressing my upgrade suggestion to the original poster, Cable, as I feel trying to run this standard of game with Windows 98 isn't really on especially if crashes are ocurring. His system spec would allow XP and it would be a more stable system. As for Windows 2000, I have never considered that operating system to be aimed at gamers, but a lot of players swear by it until they have a problem and then I wonder whether the choice of operating system is a factor. Oh how I recall the day that Windows was announced, it was going to bring one uniform standard to computers and enable game developers to design everything around that one standard. Somehow it didn't work out that way....

Loremaster
Post Tue May 28, 2002 7:32 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next