Help with Cheats
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Help with Cheats

Hhhmmmm Not sure where this question should actually go......... but, I'm here now, lol.
In the game I'm playing now ("Vampire, the Masquerade - Redemption") to access the ~ console for cheats it says; "Start the game with the - console command line parameter" What on earth does THAT mean? Where is it? How do I do it? What do I do with it?
Also, (this's going to sound really stupid but)........... what does "AI" mean? And how do I usually access the 'AI'?
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:40 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

A command line parameter is a command which is entered during game start. In DOS, you started a game by typing a certain command (most of the time the name of the game), and command line parameters were entered after it (before you hit enter), most of the time starting with a '-' character. So in DOS, you'd have to start Vampire plus cheat mode by typing

usual start command -console

Nowadays (in the Windos era) just right-click on the game start icon which is (hopefully) on your desktop (if it's not, it will be in one of the game directories), choose 'attributes', then the 'link' tab (no idea if that's the name, I don't have an English version, but there are only three or so tabs, anyway); there's a line called 'target' (???) where the path of the game is written. Enter the command line parameter/s (in this case -console) after the path. Then press 'OK' and start the game. If you did everything right, you should have a new console option in the game, a console where you can enter cheat codes, if I'm not mistaken (haven't played Vampire).

'AI' usually means artificial intelligence - in the case of a game the game's NPCs and critters. How you 'access' = change the AI depends on the game.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:22 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Help with Cheats

Nope, I couldn't figure it out I right clicked on the desktop icon and there were a few things listed; 'target' was one of them but 'attributes' and 'link' weren't. Anyway, I added '- control', clicked 'ok' but it kept saying not valid and wouldn't accept it at all. Now it just starts straight into the game and I can't get the tab thing at all when I right click on the icon.
HHmm guess I'm not meant to be a cheater, lol
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:04 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Help with Cheats

Ok, I've tried again. I got the box thingy up entitled "Vampire properties" and there's 5 white lines where I could write something. The first one's titled 'Target' and has "Masquerade - Redemption\Vampire.exe" written on it,
The second line's titled 'Start in' and has "C:\Programme Files\Vampire The Masquerade - Redemption" ,
the third line is titled 'Shortcut Key' and has "None" on it,
the fourth is titled 'Run' and has "Normal" and
the fifth, titled 'Comment', is blank.
I put '- control' on the first line and clicked ok, as per your instructions. But when I press ~ in the game nothing happens. What've I done wrong? I know my keyboard has some keys in different places, maybe that's it - my tilde (~) is on the upper left above 'Tab' and under 'Esc'? What else can I try? I'm tired of getting killed every 3 minutes and doing the whole scene again coz you can't save in this game. Although I know there's a patch that can help with that, but I don't know how to do that either.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:28 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

'Target' is the line you want. But why did you add 'control'? Didn't you write above the command line parameter was -console? Try adding that to the command line.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:38 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

hel

I'm afraid I don't follow you at all. What'm I supposed to put where? What's the command line?
Just found that the 'Target' line has the same written in it as 'Start in' ie; C:\Programme Files\Vampire The Masquerade - Remeption"

Last edited by Zephyr Elvirion on Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:42 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by Sherrin
I got the box thingy up entitled "Vampire properties" and there's 5 white lines where I could write something. The first one's titled 'Target' and has "Masquerade - Redemption\Vampire.exe" written on it

That's the line you want. Write -console after the command line (which is Masquerade - Redemption\Vampire.exe). The finished, new command line titled 'Target' should then read

Masquerade - Redemption\Vampire.exe -console
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:46 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Help with Cheats

Yes, that's what I did, and nothing seems to have happened. I pressed ~ and nothing came up in the game.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:52 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

You wrote that you added -control to the command line instead
of -console. The cheat-enabling command is, however, -console.
If you're sure you wrote the correct command and your tilde key still won't work, try other keys... on my (Euro) keyboard the tilde is one of three instances on a key which is half below the backspace key and to the left of the return key.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:00 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Help with Cheats

opps, sorry about the typo, lol. Yep -console. OOhh forgot to mention that when I press 'ok' a box comes up that reads; "Problem with Shortcut. The name "C:\Program Files\Vampire The Masquerade.exe -console" specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and filename are correct."
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:16 pm
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Help with Cheats

Ok. I unloaded and reloaded the game. The "Problem with shortcut" box no longer comes up. I've put -console at the end of the first line, but still no luck with anything further. Have tried my ~ key and your alternative location - nothing. Guess I'm destined to keep going over and over the first 20 minutes of the game until I either give up, or get past the undead. I think the first will happen before the second at the rate I've been going, lol.
Anyway, I'm off to bed and maybe the solution will come to me in a dream or I'll wake up a techie - yeah right
Thanx for all your help.
Post Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:57 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

The "problem with shortcut" is because the part in quotes is the name of the executable, and the command-line switch should be after that:

Target [ "C:\Program Files\Vampire The Masquerade - Redemption\Vampire.exe" -console ]

The American mapping of the tilde key on an English keyboard happens to be the backtick key (`), so you might want to give that a try as well.

Try running it from a dos window:

• Click Start/Run or press WINDOW-R to get the Run box up.
  • Type "command" if on Win95/98/ME, or "cmd" if on WinNT/2000/XP.
  • Press OK.
  • Type "cd C:\PROGRA~1\VAMPIR~1" (without the quotes) and hit Enter.
  • Type "Vampire.exe -console" (without the quotes) and hit Enter.

Post Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:59 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Help with Cheats

Thanx for that, but it didn't seem to work either
I hadn't included the -console in the brackets in the first tip anyway.
In the second tip I followed that thru ( I have ME). Got the MS-DOS Prompt window up and typed in C:\PROGRA~1\VAMPIR~1 and hit Enter; C:|Program Files\Vampire The Masquerade - Redemption> came up, so added Vampire.exe -console after that, hit Enter and C:\Program Files\Vampire The Masquerade - Redemption> came up again Nothing's happened in the game. Have hit every key on the keyboard (Plus my head on the keyboard) but still nothing's changed.
Dammed if I know what's going on, or rather, 'supposed to go on'.
Post Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:08 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Re: Help with Cheats

quote:
Originally posted by Sherrin
... The name "C:\Program Files\Vampire The Masquerade.exe -console" specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and filename are correct."

I encountered the same problem too with Max Payne sometime ago, at the end i successfully entered the command. But i can't remember exactely what did.

Make another shortcut directly from the original Masquerade.exe (right click it to bring up "create shortcut to desktop" option). Then modify that particular shortcut.

Two things to remember:

1. Enter "-console" without the quotation marks ----> " " Except the original " " in the target "...Masquerade.exe".

2. One empty space before the "-console". If not working then without the space.

Heheh... sound like i make the whole things more complicated. Anyway here is the same info of entering cheats for the game http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/code/25421.html
Post Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:58 am
Zephyr Elvirion
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Help with Cheats

Well, I've done everything, to the letter, that you kind people have given me to try and still it's not happened. Looks like I have to do it the hard way - and die every dammed few minutes. Be easier if I could save before I have a battle on my hands but I can't even do that, so I have to repeat the last 2 - 5 minutes every single bloody time. I'll probably chuck it if I can't get any sense out of it by the end of this evening - pity, coz it looks like it might shape up to be an alright game.
I have a patch that allows you to save whenever, but I don't know how to apply(?) insert(?) add(?), that either. (Don't even know the correct terminology, lol)
Post Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:21 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next