Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Tidbits
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Tidbits

Serban from <a href="http://www.jucaushii.ro/" target="_blank">Jucaushii.ro</a> sent over a short summary of <a href="http://www.gameinformer.com/default.htm" target="_blank">Game Informer's</a> exclusive Oblivion preview, which I hope doesn't impinge their rights:<blockquote><em>- first-person and third-person perspective <br>- combat will be bloody and visceral <br>- the outcome of combat will not be decided by virtual "dice roll" <br>- it takes place in the world of Tamriel, specifically in the Imperial <br>Province of Cyrodiil <br>- the most amazing graphics that the console gaming world has ever seen <br>- either on foot or on horseback, players can explore a huge exterior world <br>- the dev. tools randomly populate areas, according to input parameters <br>(area type - e.g. forest, types of trees, bushes, soil etc.)</em></blockquote>
Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:50 am
hammermd23
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

No dice rolls? That means no stats, either, right? So it's not a RPG, it's a console-style fighting game? In other words, you do 'moves' using a gamepad and whether you win or lose a battle is based on your skills as a video game player and not on your player's stats...this sounds bad, IMHO...
Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:51 am
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

NO DICE ROLLS!?! Sounds like another pooring arcade game. This is the saddest thing I have ever heard in the CRPG world. I hope i'm wrong about game play and they come up with something outstanding instead. If TES turns into another dumbed-down game, it will be the final death kneel from complexity in the US gaming market.
LB
Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:35 am
Lucky Day

At last an RPG that relies on the skills of the user and not a fictitious system in the background controlling the outcome secretly based on random chance.

This type of realism has been attempted sicne the days of Bilestoad and it looks liek we finally have a game that might succeed where Ultima IX utterly failed.
Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:48 am

Whats that lucky day, a game whose output is basede on player skill? Like football, baseball, etc. At last? Like Mariobrothers? At last? If the role I'm playing is me, then I'm not playing a role am I? If I'm not playing a role, then I can't be playing a ROLE playing game can I?
Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:47 am

Stop posting such nosense.

Is Gothic an Arcade style game?
All that is said is that when you hit an opponent or shoot him an arrow in the face means that you really hit him. How much damage you do still depends on your stats. Just like Gothic.
And if you ask me, this is way better than to hit the attack button, see your axe hit the opponent and get a "you missed"-sound response.
Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:23 am

XiG

I think it's should be a good idea to mix dice rolls and player's dexterity in a combat system.

Playing a "role" is neither using only "stats" nor using only keyboard to move around. It's both.

Look at the way we explore the world of Morrowind : you use your keyboard and your mouse, but exploration is modified acording to your stats (acrobatics, speed, etc.).
Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:46 pm

Anything has got to be an improvement over Morrowind's combat system. I wouldn't mind a system that's a bit more interactive (area-specific damage, etc.), i.e. more dependent on reflexes. As long as there's still a lot of dependence on stats, equipment, etc. I'll be happy.
Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:52 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous

Yes. To think otherwise is nonsense.
Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:56 pm

Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
And if you ask me, this is way better than to hit the attack button, see your axe hit the opponent and get a "you missed"-sound response.

There are two ways to fix that problem, and if you want to still call yourself an RPG, then there is only one that you can take.

Method 1: (Action Game)
    The player attacks the enemy, and if he succeeds in hitting him, the enemy is injured.

Method 2: (Role Playing Game)
    The player attacks the enemy, but what happens on the screen is modified by your characters abilities. Examples:

I aim at a creature with my bow, but since I have poor aiming skills, the bow is waving all over the place.

I am swinging with my sword, but am flailing badly because I am too weak to hold the weapon. I may even end up hitting the creature, but since I am not weilding the weapon correctly, I dont do much damage, if any.

I agree with you that it is VERY irritating when you hit something on screen and get the "You missed" message. But that doesnt mean the statistics of the character should have no effect on the outcome, it just means that they need to be represented better, ala Method 2.
Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:28 pm
Lorgosin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

There is a fine line between telling the character what to do (role playing) and doing it for him (action). As long as combat is not mainly about reflexes (it should be about tactics) and the success of every action is mainly determined by character skill (as opposed to player skill) the combat system can still be said to support role playing. Aimed blows are ok, having to do mortal combat combos to perform them is not. I'll give Bethesda the benefit of a doubt.
Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:22 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
Method 1: (Action Game)
    The player attacks the enemy, and if he succeeds in hitting him, the enemy is injured.

Method 2: (Role Playing Game)
[list]The player attacks the enemy, but what happens on the screen is modified by your characters abilities.

Yes. I plan on developing the first REAL RPG.
With cool skills like "Combat Tactics". Imagine you are attacked by 2 fighters and a mage. You say "attack the mage first", but the game says "No, your character is not smart enough." "Ok, then attack the fighters." "No, your character is a coward and runs away."
And a cool alignment function. When your character is "good" and you wanna kill old grannie, the game makes a dice roll and your character guides her over the street instead.

The game is pretty easy to develop. There's just one single line displayed when you start it: "Sorry, your character is too lazy to go adventuring. Try another day..."
Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:37 pm

Well you obviously completely missed the point.
Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:09 pm

Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

quote:
quote:

Yes. To think otherwise is nonsense.

(I know this was a bit of a troll, but...)
Try killing a giant rat at the start of Gothic2. You will likely die. The reason? Your characer is not a good fighter yet. You may tell him to swing at the correct time, but he is not strong, coordinated or know many moves. It isn't an arcade game, but it isn't purely RPG either. It was the right balance between reflex and RP for me. It was exciting and took some strategy.
Post Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:26 pm
Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think Gothic did a great job of balencing action and character skills. Daggerfall did a good job of this, too. I dont like acrade style fighting games were all you do is slam buttens and postion characters. It is boring to me and I hate to see CRPGs go that way, esp. TES which is one of my favorate serous of games. Morrowind had already gone too far toward non-interactive combad. Press butten release, press butten release. In Daggerfall i could alteast make different attacks by making different motions with my hands which made combat more fun. And for games with auto attack, turn on attack and wait to win, is great for MMORPGs because you need the time to chat. In a singel player game it is boring.
LB
Post Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:44 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next