Morrowind starting to crash a lot
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Morrowind starting to crash a lot

I've been playing for a couple of days with no trouble, but all of a sudden I am getting a lot of CTD's. Any idea how to stop this from happening? The game is running really well otherwise - good framerate, etc. But it's crashing more and more often as I play on - especially when new areas are loading.
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:18 am
rawhead
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

the same thing happened to me once and i just backedup my saved games and uninstalled and reinstalled and it stoped it from crashing
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:55 am
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

thanks. I guess I'll try that, but this is so frustrating - did not have that problem last time. On the other hand, I am now using WIN XP. I'm starting to think I should go back to Win 98.
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:22 pm
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

If you think it's related to your OS upgrade, I'd suspect that drivers might be the problem -- have you upgraded your audio and video drivers to the latest versions? (Anyway, that's certainly the first thing Bethesda tech support would suggest.)

If that doesn't work, I'd look at the Hardware and Software forum at the official site -- CTDs are a recurring problem for lots of people, and some people have found fixes that work for them (while others learn to live with it). I have CTDs too, but almost always when I'm loading a savegame -- not so bad, since at that point I don't have to worry about losing any gameplay!

Good luck, hope you get it worked out.
Post Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:56 pm
Hagatha
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I had upgraded my video drivers to the latest, but that turned out to be a big minstake as the latest nVidia drivers made it impossible to play any of my more recent games. Everything crashed constantly, and I heard that they were making some systems unstable (or they themselves are unstable, not sure which).

The latest revamp of my computer included taking off the newest nVidia drivers, and using the ones that came with my new card - a geforce4 Ii4200. SInce that point I can now at least play my recent games, although not without the occasional difficulty.

I do have the latest drivers for my sound card.

Defragging my computer seemed to reduce the frequency of crashes, but I still had seven or eight yesterday over about 12 hours. That's a tolerable level, although not great and I would certainly prefer not to have them. At least the computer doesn't freeze and require me to do a hard shutdown.
Post Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:43 am
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Did you try DirectX 9? Some people have claimed that improves things... others say it made things worse... but I think they're in the minority.
Post Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:43 am