D&D Online Mini-FAQ @ Gamebanshee
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

D&D Online Mini-FAQ @ Gamebanshee

Gamebanshee have posted a mini-FAQ (read short interview) on D&D Online with Ken Troop, Lead Designer. Here's an excerpt: <br> <br><blockquote><em>Q: How will D&D Online differ from other MMPs available today? <br> <br>A: First, D&D Online is the real thing. Almost all MMORPGs derive their character systems from a D&D model, but only D&D Online will offer players the opportunity to create a character that plays and feels like your original D&D character. <br> <br>Also, combat in most MMPs tends to be very static and turn-based – you press an attack button and sit back and watch the show. Combat in D&D Online is intense and real-time, requiring tactical decisions at each moment of gameplay. You actually have to play the game to succeed in combat, instead of just watching the action go by.</em></blockquote>Here's the <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/dnd/faq.php" target="_blank">link</a>.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:26 am
billoute
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

another online hack'n slash, and i expect nothing good from a D&D game featuring real time combat... does this lead designer ever played D&D ? it's all about turn based.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:35 am
Dhruin

Actually, I saw the same irony as I was posting the newsbit. Still, I'm not sure authentic D&D combat would be fun in a MMORPG.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:40 am
Hyrrix
Fourty-two
Fourty-two

Yes, remember Pool of Radiance 2? That game was probably the closest thing to D&D 3rd edition that ever hit the shelves. But was it fun? No. I don't think that blindly following the D&D rules would be a good idea for creating a viable mmorpg. Then again, why call your game "D&D Online" huh?
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:09 pm
billoute
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

money, money my friend... it's all about money. and ppl who care about what RPG and D&D really means don't have any voice in this.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:46 pm
Isengrim

Can someone explain to me the tactical elements in real time combat? This article makes me grind my teeth...
BTW, Return to PoR's problem wasn't the fact it was turn based; it was the lousy implementation of turn based combat. There have been many (gold box series etc.) wonderful turn based games. I don't think 3rd ed vs 1st changes anything there.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:58 pm

Hyrrix
Fourty-two
Fourty-two

Some people can make turn-based rpg's attractive, I agree. Fallout is the best example there I guess. Still, I don't know what was wrong with PoR2... It seemed like an exact copy of 3E D&D (indeed, it's about the same as first E), and still it was awfully boring.

Just looks like the people working on D&D Online are making the "easy" choices on all aspects of the game design...
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:06 pm
Greymane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Pool of Radiance 2 was a horrible example of rushing a game to market long before it's time. It had balance problems.. lack of content.. well, the list goes on and on..
How about NeverWinterNights? Is it not based on D&D rules? It's not really turn based.. and like it or not, it's a huge success.. I could certainly play in a PSW (Persistent State World) that was based on something like NWN. Of course D&D rulesets have nothing in them about resources, crafting, town and community building.. clans, guilds.. etc.. etc.. so a lot of things not found in the foundations of D&D will have to be 'invented'.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:54 pm
Hyrrix
Fourty-two
Fourty-two

Hmm, I think NWN proves that you can indeed make a game with real-time combat (almost hack 'n slash in the case of NWN) while still following the D&D rules. I mean, the way combat is handled doesn't make something more or less RPG. In my opinion it's more the amount of combat and the importance of combat in the game that is important =)
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:07 pm
Isengrim

The problem w/ NWN and real time in general is that there is a strong strategic element to D&D that can't be captured in real time with a single character. I'm playing NWN - SOU with my wife right now over our LAN, and just hate the point and click combat. Other game aspects make up for this somewhat, but NWN is definately not on my top 5 RPG list.
You don't have to have have turn based combat for an RPG (Planescape: Torment is my favorite RPG of all time), but it sure makes the combat more interesting. I'm anxiously awaiting ToEE, and hoping it delivers what I want out of a turn based system.
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:54 pm