Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Bugs etc
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

Hello again.. I am Systems Engineer and network designer who loves RPG PC games. I am taken aback at Jemym's reply about ati radeon 8500 or ati in general. Basically your opinion on hardware vendors means absolutly NOTHING. The Gothic game was developed by people obviously lacking in new technologies. I have played every major newly released game with my ati radeon 8500 with no problems.. Gothic will not even load. Buying a game and finding out on their forum that ati cannot write drivers is a HUGE COPOUT.Make a patch like ALL other game manufacturers do that resolve customer issues. DO NOT LAMBAST vendor manufacuters for your lack of programming skills.....
Gothic reviews look good on the Internet and I would like to play it BUT I will have to wait for a patch to fix the radeon problem.
And do not recommend loading another operation system ( I run on Windows 98 2nd Ed. )because to have a game force you to load another operating system to make it function is also a major COPOUT.
Post Fri Dec 28, 2001 12:47 pm

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Anonymous
---------

I have played Gothic through, without the problems you experienced.
I use main stream hardware. My main stream hardware have never caused me any problems with anything I have used on it, and I do play lots of games.

Period.

I will never touch ATI again becouse of my long-time experience with ATI both at work and in home. I have heard problem, after problem, after problem with ATI boards. I have cried, I have caught depressions and I really hate ATI for all their boards have done to my personal life. I wont even start to mention what problems I have had with their drivers, but I know at least five ocations with different ATI boards in different computers, at different places... where ATI boards and their drivers have caused me loads of headache.

So dont tell me that its Gothic's fault, or any other game-producers fault that ATI boards doesnt work like they should. If ATI boards DID work, they would not be mentioned in every "Tehnical Game FAQ" in existence.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sun Dec 30, 2001 1:26 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Anonymous:
You overlooked a very important detail. Gothic is no newly released game! The game was released in march in the German speaking countries. In case you donīt know, this is the second biggest market in the world and ATI sells millions of cards into this market every year.
There were compatibility problems with Radeon and Kyro cards. They were fixed after a few patches and driver updates.
This means, ATI knew there is a possible problem with Gothic and they decided the priorities are elsewhere.

IMO new hardware has to be compatible to available software, at least up to a certain age. Browse the Rage3D forums to find out that the Radeon 7500 fails completely in this regard and the 8500 only delivers under WinXP.
This leads to the next question. Why are the XP drivers for the 8500 so much better than the drivers for Win9x? Once again, priorities. Obviously ATI doesnīt have the necessary ressources to develop top notch drivers for all the platforms.
Post Sun Dec 30, 2001 2:14 am

Hi,
i have read a lot of the posts under bugs etc. , and have seen many refering to game stopping bugs. The one in particular is the winch bug in the Mine. I have found that when i go into the cave to get the Cog Wheel for Ian, i cannot get out again as i always fall off the 2 ladders at the entrance when trying to leave. This has resulted in me not being able to continue the game and thus stopping it. Is this the same bug that is refered to before, or a new one?

(i can't do anything else on the game until i get this sorted)

Thx
Post Sun Dec 30, 2001 11:42 pm

Ralen_Sharr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I encountered the same problem, and unfortunately I forgot how I got up there. Try jumping forward as soon as you get up there. You aren't stuck, it's just a crappy setup that makes getting out of that forking hole difficult
Post Sun Dec 30, 2001 11:46 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Yeah, try to jump forward when you reach the top of the ladder. If you really canīt get outta there you need a goto waypoint cheat to teleport to another location insise the mine.
Post Sun Dec 30, 2001 11:57 pm

Hello, I just bought Gothic. When it comes after the guy saves me after I have already gotten all beat up, the part where it lets me start playing the game it suddenly turns all gray..or on disc 2 it is all peach color. I can see my shadow and the other guys shadow, and I can also hear what he is saying. I just can't see anything. Please help!!!
Post Mon Dec 31, 2001 2:00 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3