Canthar?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

Canthar?

Okay is there a way to get around Canthar? I mean I don't feel like getting rid of Sarah but I also don't want to lose my credibility with the merchants. So how can I do this without him squealing?
Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:33 pm
Beliarsclew
Victim Of The Greed
Victim Of The Greed

In the beginning of the game when you pass near him, he'll ask you:
"How are things farmer?" {I think that is the question}

You have 2 choices about that matter:
1. You say to him--->"I can't complain" {every thing will be ok}
2. You say to him--->"Do i look like a farmer"{Getting in troubles}

It's better to choose the first option...
Post Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:41 pm
sushimees
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Just kill the poor bastard
M essages
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:42 am
Borntoeat
Village Leader
Village Leader

killing him resolves nothig ...there is a bug ... ganthars dead body seems to find his way to the city near bench he's sitting (when he's alive) and merchants says you're former convict and they won't sell you anything..
so ..dead body seems to walk to the city and spreads word that you're convict..
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:52 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Just don't take the quest in the beginning of the game. He wants you to give you a pass to get past the guards. Just say you're not interested.

You should do that in any case, because in the city he will still ask you to get rid of Sarah, but he will give you a nice sword for it in return (and some exp). If you've asked for the entrance-pass you'll get nothing (maybe some exp, but I'm not sure about that).
Post Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:48 pm
Spike86
Village Leader
Village Leader

resolving canthar problem is quite simple:
let the guards arrest him and before going to the VOM kill him when he is in jail.
I've done this hundred of times.
No problem at all.
(I don't know in tnotr but in the original it work)
Post Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:39 pm
Borntoeat
Village Leader
Village Leader

I killed him while he is sitting near lobarts farm in bench before I get into city ..and when I enter the city his body was lying near bench in market place spreading word that I'm convict ... but jail-thing works? ...okay ...haven't tried myself..
everytime now I get rid of sarah so I can freely walk in city and can freely buy stuff in market place
Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:43 pm
Spike86
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Borntoeat

everytime now I get rid of sarah so I can freely walk in city and can freely buy stuff in market place

You get less exp in this way.
Beleveme kill him when he is in jail,but make sure that you don't accidentally exit the jail in the fight,the militia is not so happy to see convict get killed in front of them.
Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:16 pm
Spike86
Village Leader
Village Leader

OR you can steal farmer cloath from the chest of lobart and go to chantar.
and when he ask you just reply:"I can't complain"
Still this way you get less experience:you don't get the exp from sarah,nor the exp for killing him and neither the money from andre....
Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:21 pm
Bartacus
Il Buono
Il Buono

Didn't even know that Canthar could ask you that. I always played it fair in the beginning. (Sloving all little quests to get the farmers clothing as cheap as possible.) In NotR you need both the pass and the clothing to make Gregg happy.(the pirate wants the clothing, so you'll need the pass.)
NFG member
Post Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:52 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Canthar's questions depend on what outfit you are wearing when he first speaks with you. If you just buy the farmer clothes off of farmer - without doing his little jobs, or not doing all of the jobs on the farm (namely getting the new frying pan) - and wear these and then go see him, then he will ask these 2 questions above. If you run to him in your "fresh out from behind the Barrier" jammies, then he will give you the choice with the city pass and all that.

Of course, you can completely ignore him and just enter the city without speaking with him (entering the city - so that the city gate guards speak with you, that's the trigger - will move him from the bench outside of the city, into the city), but when you come along to Pablo the guard, then speaking with him will affect the Canthar again - namely he will hear from the guards about that wanted picture, and will thus assume that you're from the colony, and then will make that offer, what "you cannot resist". Of course, you can do it the other way then he wants

Anyways, once he gives you that job, you have 2 choices- rat on Sarah or rat on Canthar. I usually put the Canthar behind the bars, simply because he's a sucker and, Sarah is a sweet lil' lass I like to do business with Of course, if you jail him and leave it so, then eventually - like CH3 - he'll get out, kill Sarah and take her spot anyway. And on top of it, he'll set the othe rmerchants against you, so you have to pay him extra to get that settled.

What I do in general, I speak with him outside of the city, use all the options there are just to get that extra XP shot. When I get to the city, I do not deny to Pablo about the picture, I simply tell him that beats me what they want and they can check it by themselves. Then, when Canthar later offers the job, I agree with it, but then head over to Lord Andre and jail Canthar, and pocket 100 gp for this. Then, I go to holding cells and tell to the guard that I want to see the prisoners. He allows, after what I enter Canthar's cell, move to further corner, and without speaking a word with him, either finish him with ranged weapon, smack with a spell(s) from the scroll, or melee weapon. If you use melee weapon, make SURE that he's dead, because you'll just knock him down at first.

And, after that, no more of that sucker around
Post Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:27 pm
Borntoeat
Village Leader
Village Leader

in addon you don't need the pass ...you go to lester in the start and he says that you can say to guards that you are gathering herbs for constantino the alchemist... greg can still have your farmer clothes..

if somebody don't know where to find lester:
near xardas's tower there is a small lake in the left ...there is hidden way underground (near that goblin) and valley where lester and some young wolves are located
Post Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:15 pm