Freedom Force vs The Third Reich Revealed
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Freedom Force vs The Third Reich Revealed

HomeLan Fed is <a href="http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=17942" target="_blank">reporting</a> the latest issue of PC Gamer magazine has an article that claims the sequel to Irrational Games' excellent superhero RPG, Freedom Force, will be called 'Freedom Force vs The Third Reich'. Here's their newsbit:<blockquote><em>The newest issue of PC Gamer magazine revealed that Irrational Games will release a sequel to their critically acclaimed super hero action-RPG Freedom Force. According to the brief article, the sequel will be titled Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich and will find the super team heading back in time to fight enemies in WWII. The sequel, which will contain new heroes and villians, new superpowers and a graphical upgrade, will be released in spring 2004. There is no word yet on who will be publishing the game.</em></blockquote>This contradicts previous information from E3 2002 where Irrational indicated Freedom Force would head into the '70s and then the '80s, reflecting the changing comic and superhero styles of those decades. I guess Nazis are irresistible as enemies.
Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:15 am
Sproutnik

uh

maybe for some reason the third reich extended to the seventies.
After commies, you'll get to fight nazi hippies !
sounds good
Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:16 am

sproutnik

geez

I just mixed up freedom force with freedom fighter. gonna have to be careful about that one from now on
Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:52 am

EverythingXen:

Actually, blasting Nazis is pretty in line for the more serious nature of the 70s comic scene. So is time travel, funnily enough... the two seem mutually exclusive.

The seventies was the time where comics evolved to be fairly graphic, content wise... pushing the boundries of the sixties. Wolverine killed people. He really did. A lot. Those claws are for more than show. Then the conservative 80s came along and the blood content was drastically cut back as it became known fact that seeing violence made children violent. Not that comics were ever made for kids. Wolverine spent most of the 80s chopping up robots and popping his claws back in and giving people adamantite laced knuckle sandwiches (with a few notable exceptions, of course. Spiderman vs Wolverine in Berlin... excellent graphic novel.)
Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:30 am

Barghest
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

mUsT KIl KIL kIILLL Kill EVERYONE - Raaarrrgghhhh!

'...as it became known fact that seeing violence made children violent...' I hope you were being sarcastic there! Last time I checked, there was no confirmation of this (On either side actually)

Enough of that crap - I hope that the game will last a lot longer then the last edition, which I managed to finish in a weekend. Damn fine game though..!
Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:29 pm
niteshade6

I think it would be a big mistake to have the game get too serious. I'd say about 25% of the fun was gameplay, and 75% was the intentionaly cheesey acting and overdramatic comic book style. I don't think the game would work anywhere nearly as well in a darker, serious setting.
Post Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:03 pm

EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I was being sarcastic. I play D&D, and I love Bugs Bunny cartoons and neither worship Satan nor plot to drop anvils or safes out of windows onto housecats.

I don't think it will get too serious. Comics still have the best one liners going... even todays comics have great dialogue and plenty of funny moments. Plus, it's blasting nazis. Expect a lot of bad german accents.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:57 pm