Elder Scrolls 4: Previews @ Atomic PC, OXM Podcast
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Elder Scrolls 4: Previews @ Atomic PC, OXM Podcast

The latest Oblivion preview can be found at Australian hardware magazine <a href="http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/oblivion/feature.asp?p=1" target="_blank">Atomic PC</a>, who have a fairly standard article:<blockquote><em>The bread and butter for RPGs is questing, and the Radiant AI allows the player to be creative in how a quest is completed in Oblivion. For example, if you have to steal a rare gem from a shop owner you could walk right in, whack him over the head, and take it. You could wait until he leaves, and steal it. Or if you find out that he keeps it with him at all times, you could follow him to a secluded spot and then pants him, out of the sight of guards. It comes back to freedom and immersion. In the words of Todd Howard, lead designer on Oblivion, it's all about options.</em></blockquote>...and there's an <a href="http://www.oxmpodcast.com/" target="_blank">OXM Podcast</a> featuring "special guest: Todd Howard, Executive Producer on the Xbox 360’s first amazing role-playing game, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion". Thanks to the <a href="http://www.octopusoverlords.com/phpBB2/" target="_blank">Octopus Overlords</a> boards.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:12 pm
araczynski
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

fairly standard my a*s. that is one of the best articles i've read about the game so far, it reads like they actually played the game and didn't just copy/paste an official commercial.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:14 pm

They are upset they dont get to preview the game like these people so to make themselves feel better they have to put words like "standard" etc poor babies just one week left can you manage?

Post Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:52 pm

xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

and such an original and intelligent response on your part as well, mr guest. Hoping to move on to high school soon?

Thanks for the heads-up on that article, good one
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:20 am
Dr. A

Actually it seemed that they watched instead of playing.
quote:
It's all so damn sexy we just wanted to have a go ourselves.

And "standard", in my opinion, refers to the style of review - mostly gushing with some creative prose. A bit overboard. They never mentioned the graphical glitches (pop-ups, low res textures on distant objects) brought up by a few other game websites.

I'm really looking forward to Oblivion - but sheesh, this will NOT be a perfect game. No game is...except maybe Gothic 3
Post Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:26 am

Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
They are upset they dont get to preview the game like these people so to make themselves feel better they have to put words like "standard" etc poor babies just one week left can you manage?

Oh puh-leeze. I wonder why I suspect that the author of this amazing post is someone who works at Atomic PC? LOL!

It -is- indeed a standard review if you've read all of the drivel that's come out in the last couple of weeks about this game. Lord, I hope it lives up to the hype.
Post Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:32 am
Dhruin

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous

Uh, no - but thanks for playing. I have posted probably...20?...Oblivion previews in the last fortnight, all based on the same Bethsoft roadshow -- after a while a pattern emergaes and I think some of our readers are getting a little fatigued by it all. I described it as "standard" because while it's fairly well-written, it doesn't add anything new and fails to comment on a number of more interesting issues. So, it's a "standard" article that doesn't stand out even though it's competently written.

quote:
Originally posted by araczynski
fairly standard my a*s. that is one of the best articles i've read about the game so far, it reads like they actually played the game and didn't just copy/paste an official commercial.

Really? What did they add that hadn't already been covered by the 20 articles before them?

For example, take their description of the Radiant AI: they give no examples based on their own experience whatsoever - it's all PR stuff straight from Bethsoft's presentation. That doesn't make it "bad" - just the same as half the others.

"Standard", you might say.
Post Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:43 am
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Hell, I thought they went way overboard describing the AI the claims as if it thinks for itself.
It is standard AI based on scripting, sure more choices now but none the less scripting.
The best example of AI they describe was implemented in the GOthic series whcih has continually improved with each version.
I am glad Bethesda got on board with actually including AI instead of dumb as a signpost NPCs.
Including full voice as Gothic has done since it's inception was another great move.

I maybe getting this confused I have read so many, but isnt this the one the guy didnt even try Magic and had to ask Todd about it, good god how is that good coverage, No matter which review it came from?
Post Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:34 am
Evil Guest

uninvited, like the clouds

How about the standard interview format:

Next week will see the launch of the much anticipated Obstacle: The Elder Bowels, sequel to the highly praised "Morrowind: Player Meets the Volcano"

We were delighted when we got a chance to sit down briefly to talk with Dr Sholes, Manager of Pre-Launch Hype for Bethleham Softdrinks:

Neural Burnout: "Tell us, Dr. Sholes, will we have the ability to play a theif who steals from the rich?"

Dr. Sholes: "All of the exciting elements of Morrowind return in Obstacle, only better. I don't want to go in to too much detail. Lets just say there are babies holding candy."

Burnout: "Will we be able take off our clothes and jump from roof top to roof top naked, or will we be wearing underwear?"

Dr. Sholes: "We realize that the community takes the ability to streak very seriously. After much internal testing, we have developed a streaking system we think exhibitionist introverts will find very satisfying."

Burnout: "Much has been made of the vaunted RadialTire AI system in Obstacle. If I poke an NPC in the eye, what will they do."

Dr. Sholes:"They will lose ht points. But more importantly, they will not like you very much."

Burnout: "Morrowind was popular for the ability to add content. Will Obstacle allow websites to host thousands of user addd ons, each allowing the player to have a house with a prostitute and a sword of absolute destruction in it?"

Dr. Sholes: "I don't want to give away too much information, but, yes."

Burnout: "Will I be able to build giant sandcastles on the beach, then charge NPCs a cover charge to come in and listen to my band?"

Dr. Sholes: "You can add this with the Destruction Set."

Burnout: "As a European gamer, do you mind if I say Gothic 3 a few times?"

Dr. Sholes: "No, go right ahead."

Burnout: "Are you going to take any queues from the amzaing and endless bounty that was Gothic 2? After all, Gothic 3 will be coming out next fall, which means US fans will see it sometime in 2012. Will these fans not find Obstacle boring in comparison with the holy glory that is Gothic 3?"

Dr. Sholes: "We recognize that fans of Gothic take Gothic very seriously. After much consideration we have decided to create the Gothic 3 importer. This will allow players of Obstacle to activate a plot in which an ancient pot smolking God must be killed by combo moves."
Post Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:13 pm

Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

Lol, nice interview Evil Guest
Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:33 am