Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
How will the Xbox and PC Versions differ?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

How will the Xbox and PC Versions differ?

What (Besides the TES set) will be the main differences between the Xbox and PC versions?

I am leaning twords Xbox right now because I never liked the idea of using your keyboard as a controller and because I'm not sure if it will work on my 2 year old system (PIII all same out of the box)

I don't want to do something stupid and end up wishing I had bought the right (other) version.

One last thing, Has the Xbox version released yet?
Post Tue May 07, 2002 2:48 am

Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Xbox vesion comes out later this month (Supposedly) and as for difference it will probably only be slightly graphical differences and then the gameplay will be a little different (I like keyboards better..as do most hardcore RPGers)
Post Tue May 07, 2002 3:05 am

Well I'm definitely not hardcore, but I'm definitly a fan
Post Tue May 07, 2002 3:09 am

Potentated Knight of Ni
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

If you have an older system (as you do) and if you plan to not do any editing, then it would be much wiser to run it on the XBox; because the graphics would be better. However, I do not know how the controls would work .

We (me, myself, and I) are the the Knights who say "Nee"!
=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
Post Tue May 07, 2002 3:09 am

There is no way you will be able to play morrowind or your pc I personally have to same problem. There is no diffirence except for the lack of the Consrtuction set everything esle is the same. I am personally going with the x-box version because everything will be optomized to run on the box and such.
Any other questions?
Post Tue May 07, 2002 3:16 am

Well I doubt I'm going to spend money on any upgrade to my computer (damn expensive things) When I already have and Xbox but do you think that all the bugs will be fixed and that it will be realsed resonably soon (Like before Christmas?).
Post Tue May 07, 2002 3:24 am

Potentated Knight of Ni
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

They did say (Gone Gold Press Release), I think, that it should be released sometime at the end of May. I know that Gates was pushing that they were released the same date, however Bethasoft thought differently .

Post Tue May 07, 2002 1:11 pm
mustread

looks like xbox is gonna miss out
on the new content the morrowind
developers are adding. I'm kinda
glad i got the PC version now, but
i still might get it for the xbox cause
my pc is kinda garbage.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 3:10 pm

OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

XBox is designed to incorporate hardware/firmware/software upgrades in the near future....specifically, the ability to access and interact with the internet. The mod tool will probably never be feasible on the xbox, but the ability to download and use the mods should be available sometime in 2003...or at least that's how I read their development statements.

=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Tue May 07, 2002 7:10 pm

would you rather drive in a toyota, or a ferrari ??? It's a no brainer if you have the system that can handle it. if you dont then it makes perfect sense to get the x-box. The xbox graphics will not compete, for a few simple reasons.... 1) its on a tv it uses 2)a graphics card that is old(not bad though. Plus computers get updates updates updats. hopefully they will update peformance. Mods etc...

so if your cpu is below 800mhz then get thet xbox, other wise come for a ride in the ferrari.

i am sure there are reasons against the comp version too
Post Tue May 07, 2002 8:22 pm

Potentated Knight of Ni
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Very good analigy guest .

*Knight of Ni waves for his buttler to bring around his and Templar's blue Ferrari around the corner so that they can go for a spin .*

Post Tue May 07, 2002 9:38 pm
hoverboy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Xbox Info

quote:
Originally posted by mustread
looks like xbox is gonna miss out
on the new content the morrowind
developers are adding. I'm kinda
glad i got the PC version now, but
i still might get it for the xbox cause
my pc is kinda garbage.

Word on the street has it that the Xbox version will have the upcoming "official" plugin in the released version. As for future updates, yes that is also possible on the Xbox as long as the game developers have added the ability, which I'd be willing to bet my next paycheck that Bethesda has made some sort of MOD-adding feature available to the Xbox version. DOA3 did it, and if they can pull it off then surely Morrowind can.

As for controls, I've been playing Morrowind on the PC with a Logitech Rumble Pad. It's layout closely resembles an Xbox controller. Prior to Gothis I had never played an RPG with a gamepad, but Gothic's controls were so awful that I decided to map them out (mouse-look and all) to the Rumble Pad. Doing that made Gothic the best RPG experience that I have had to date... well, that was until Morrowind was released =) So, I've been playing for about 20 hours now, all gamepad, and it's sweet.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 9:38 pm
Potentated Knight of Ni
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

If Microsoft wasn't so gready, ,Betasoft would have Morrowind come out on the PlaySation2 .

Post Tue May 07, 2002 9:43 pm
hoverboy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Actually...

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
would you rather drive in a toyota, or a ferrari ??? It's a no brainer if you have the system that can handle it. if you dont then it makes perfect sense to get the x-box. The xbox graphics will not compete, for a few simple reasons.... 1) its on a tv it uses 2)a graphics card that is old(not bad though. Plus computers get updates updates updats. hopefully they will update peformance. Mods etc...

so if your cpu is below 800mhz then get thet xbox, other wise come for a ride in the ferrari.

i am sure there are reasons against the comp version too

You'll find that system requirements for games on the Xbox vs. PC requirements are two different things. The "OS" in the Xbox is so tiny that you can barely see it in memory... not so with the good ol' PC. While games are running on your PC you have loads of extra (and at times hidden) tasks running that the Xbox does not have, thus making 99%+ of the 64MB of RAM in the Xbox 100% available to a game. Not so on a PC, as you have system tasks constantly taking random amounts of RAM away from being available at (sometime) random times. Also, on the Xbox the CPU gives Uber priority to a game. Again, not so on a PC. On your PC the CPU is in a constant state of deciding application priority and dividing CPU cycles up accordingly. So the 733 MHz PIII that comes in an Xbox is more than enough power for a game because the system overhead (OS) is nill when compared to that of a PC. It's actually an absurd amount of processing power for just running games, and that's all the Xbox does.

Take graphic quality out of the equation for a second and you'll see that the Xbox is just as good of a platform for Mowworind as the PC is. Sure you've only got a 640x480 screen to look at, but you've also got that on a 32" screen, while kicking back on the couch. I dunno about you but my arse gets a tad sore when logging marathon game sessions on the PC. But for me, the biggest bonus of gaming on the Xbox is the 5.1 Digital Dolby pumping through a home theatre system. When the sound in games are done right (Halo) a 5.1 gaming experience is hard to beat, and from what I can tell on the setup on my PC (SB Live + Klipsch) Morrowind is going to be insanely good sound wise.

At any rate, both platforms have their merits and advantages over one another.
Post Tue May 07, 2002 10:13 pm
Potentated Knight of Ni
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Download MaxMem from Analox.com

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/maxmem.htm

It clears the unused ram. Very good product ; Highly recomened by The Knight of Ni and behalf of sauron38.

Post Wed May 08, 2002 12:02 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next