perf. on XP vs. 98 - comments?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
charliebk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

perf. on XP vs. 98 - comments?

I have Morrowind installed on Windows XP, AMD XP 1700+, 256 MB DDR RAM, GeForce 3. At 1024X768 with 2x AA, I notice smooth graphics away from cities, but really slow performance in cities (10-20 fps with noticable jerkiness). I've tried higher resolutions without AA, but the results are about the same.

I'm considering reformating my harddrive with a dual boot of 98SE and XP. I would then install Morrowind on 98SE hoping for better performance. Before I go to all of this trouble, I wanted to see if anyone else has tried this? Or can you comment on performance with 98? XP? comparing both? Thanks.

P.S> I've already tried the new 'no safedisk wrapper' .exe, defraging the HD, and adjusting all of the insternal settings. The view distance as the biggest impact and I can get smoother frames with the view distance at half, still not to the point where I'm happy with performance.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 8:15 pm
vladie
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

My experience with this topic

Hi.
This is my personal experience using win 98(1st edition though) vs. xp.
Win98. Crash every time i try to leave hull.
Win xp. I can leave boat and play crash free.
I know it wasn't 98 crashing morrowind persay,but I thought I'd tell ye of my experience.
I didn't notice an improved framerate in the hull with 98 using newest nvidia drivers vs. xp using old drivers my system chose.
Regds. V.
Post Fri May 10, 2002 9:22 pm