Critical Error

RPGDot Morrowind Review online now

Enjoy it

http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=320

Last edited by Rendelius on Thu May 23, 2002 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed May 15, 2002 9:46 pm
bman

comments

It's fair and thorough... best review I have read yet.

It does seem like the upcoming patch could address some of the minor concerns. It would not be too hard to give merchants more money and modify the journal to be more user friendly. And even fix some of the abusive possibilities.
Post Wed May 15, 2002 10:30 pm

OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

Bravo. You did not fear to outline the negative issues and yet your overall review captured what I truly feel to be the soul of Morrowind: Role-Playing.

I know how difficult it was to write this review (you've mentioned it so many times ) so I do applaud you in your efforts AND success in portraying this game to the uninformed as it truly stands.

Again, bravo.

=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Wed May 15, 2002 11:06 pm
SunSpot
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Good one

Im about to read it ;D just cheking if I need to login or, if the login each time I visit works.

Lovely site. Rend RULES!!!
Post Wed May 15, 2002 11:53 pm
iloveplywood

Great review. Should be very helpful for people trying to decide if Morrowind is for them, or even tell them the most rewarding way of playing it. I know I will approach the game differently because of what I read.

Excellent job, I'd recommend it to anyone debating whether to purchase the game or not.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 12:11 am

Leaves out the crashing that alot of people are experiencing. That should definitely be a deciding factor in buying the game
Post Thu May 16, 2002 12:38 am

bman

crashing

I don't think it is a lot.. it's just that those that have it are making their presence known while those who don't are playing and quieter.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 4:50 am

Squeetard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Where's our credits huh? Looks like you patterned the review after posts in this forum. hee hee.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 4:51 am
7th Guest
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
Leaves out the crashing that alot of people are experiencing. That should definitely be a deciding factor in buying the game

The crashing thing... well.

Browse some forums and then you'll read:

* I bought a new MOBO and I have crashes 24/7!
* My new vga drives me crazy!
* New drivers give me hell!
* I installed new RAM and now get only blue screens!

Good hardware often does the trick. If you bought your PC at Walmart, prepare for some experiences ...

Had one crash in 10h yet. Which could be of several other things than MW to blame...
Post Thu May 16, 2002 12:51 pm
Badger
Stripey Forest Dweller
Stripey Forest Dweller

Hi All

I've been "lurking" here for a while now. Nothing much to say as I don't have the game until the end of May. I'm guessing I'll have a bit to say then...oh yes.

But regards this very nice review.

I should'nt have read this. I knew I should'nt when I was going in... and I knew I should'nt as I made my way through to the last tantalising paragraph. I was cursing before that Morrowind does not appear in the UK till the end of May and now I'm cursing all the more.

So, a big thankyou Mr Rendelius... for tormenting the Badger!

Yours Teeth Grindingly
Badger
Post Thu May 16, 2002 1:21 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Torment is my middle name
Post Thu May 16, 2002 5:07 pm
maethlin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

BRAVO!!! And a request!

To the writer of this review... if you have any contact/clout at all... or know anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone who could get word to the devs.....

please let them read your review, as a reassurance if nothing else. My big worry is all the massive whining going on about game difficulty, ease of powerlevelling, etc.... which I believe come from a VERY small but VERY vocal minority. The EQ gamers as you mentioned (of which I was one) - and those who have come to expect games to require you to do tediuos levelling tasks for hours and hours and days and years of your life just to get ubah-powerful.... these are also going to be the most active and strident voices on message boards.

If there are future patches, or even worse... a future game, which takes too many of the negative comments to heart, I'm afraid that this beautiful open-ended formula/playstyle the devs were shooting for will be buried, and we'll have just another Diablo/EQ/DungeonSiegish-type clone instead of the beauty that is Morrowind.

Thousands of people have voted on Gamespot and the game is getting a 9.0 out of 10. That's incredibly high for reader reviews... and goes to show that the VAST Majority of people are very happy with the game the way it is. Room for improvement? Always. But not such drastic calls as people are making... such as slowing down skill advancement 10x.

Ugh.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 11:43 pm
Delmonte
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Excellent Review.

Rend: You're rating system is prone to error. A guy called "Steve" me accidentally rated it as 1/10 because on a misplaced enter button being pressed. I would recommend that you have a not rated on your 1-10 scale so that the user has to actually select something for it to post. The default is currently 1.
Post Thu May 16, 2002 11:55 pm