Summoner: could have been good....
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Summoner: could have been good....

I saw the game "Summoner" in the bargain bin at the store today, and being a firm believer in 10.00 bargain bin scores(Fakk2,Sacrifice) grabbed it. Upon install and initial boot, I see the keys cannot be reconfigured, Im very wary. I can tell this game was converted from a console, argh, and the control scheme reflects this. The graphics seem ok. The building graphics in the metro areas and temples are great. I dunno, the control scheme is pretty messed up, Im pretty set in my w/a/s/d/ ways, the rotate camera and clicking on the ground blows. Could have been good, am thinking of maybe just powergaming thru it just to see some new territory. Has anyone gotten very far in this game, is it worth a further than stage 2 exploration? This swooping camera angle thing is makin me seasick!
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:34 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

I played the demo, nothing special, but not bad either. In my opinion that is.

Btw, isn't this in the wrong forum?
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:39 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes, I think it is.

I have summoner sitting on my pile of "games I got cheap and haven't had a chance to play yet"

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:02 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

yeah, i played through the entire game and enjoyed it. at first i have to admit that the control sceme was a little irritating. but, eventually i got used to it and was able to enjoy summoner. it isn't the greatest game in the world but it is fun. the graphics are solid and the character development scheme is tried and true. so, give it time & enjoy the games strong points. i thought the story was interesting and eventually i came to really enjoy the combat system.
"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:59 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I played this game before some time. I loved it. Only thing I didnt like was long traveling time (just running and running and running...).
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:06 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Ok, ill give it another shot tonight, I saw some screenshots on the net last night that lookk pretty awesome, i can overcome screwy controls for good fx. Oh yeah, wrong forum, ooops ='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:53 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

Its fairly decent. I made it a little ways into the game and it progressively gets better (i.e. you get to choose more skills, spells, ect); also you are right, the graphics are pretty, especially for an older game. I heard a while ago that they are coming out with Summoner 2. My only complaint is that a battle with a creature takes too freakin long. I mean you sit there all day wacking at the creature and halfway through it gets boring and repetitive, except for using some special abilities and so forth. I recommend that you get the Heal spell ASAP in the game because otherwise you wont survive a lot of the encounters. On a good note, the gameworld is pretty big.

www.shadowpool.com
www.darkfallonline.com
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:01 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
I heard a while ago that they are coming out with Summoner 2.

Yes, but just for console(s).
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:02 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
quote:
Originally posted by Ammon777
I heard a while ago that they are coming out with Summoner 2.

Yes, but just for console(s).

For now at least.
There have been many PS2 "exclusive" titles that have made their way to the PC, IIRC Soul Reaver 2 and GTA3 were both "exclusive" for a couple months then they were ported.

Halo, which was said to be "Only on XBox" in the commercials, is coming to the PC.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 9:31 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

There are certainly better games out there than Summoner but if you've the time/opportunity to play, it's well worth it. The story is quite strong (in the usual farmer-saves-world-way) and it's quite a bit of fun.
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 12:16 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
Originally posted by Provis
For now at least.
There have been many PS2 "exclusive" titles that have made their way to the PC, IIRC Soul Reaver 2 and GTA3 were both "exclusive" for a couple months then they were ported.

Halo, which was said to be "Only on XBox" in the commercials, is coming to the PC.

I agree and because I really liked Summoner, I surely hope they will realease Summoner 2 for PC in future.
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:25 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

quote:

Yes, and with that they meant that its not coming out on any other console. Still it would come out on PC... thats what they told on their homepage.
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 12:15 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Rawis

Yes, and with that they meant that its not coming out on any other console. Still it would come out on PC... thats what they told on their homepage.

I think that's what "exclusive" usually means. I don't think consoles acknoledge the PC as a gaming platform so when they say something is exclusive they usually mean it won't be on another console, but may be on the PC a few months down the line. Unless of course it's Nintendo, when they say exclusive they mean it. Mmmmm Metroid Prime.

Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:22 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Rawis

I think that's what "exclusive" usually means. I don't think consoles acknoledge the PC as a gaming platform so when they say something is exclusive they usually mean it won't be on another console, but may be on the PC a few months down the line. Unless of course it's Nintendo, when they say exclusive they mean it. Mmmmm Metroid Prime.

Hmm, interesting idea :].
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 4:52 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
I played this game before some time. I loved it. Only thing I didnt like was long traveling time (just running and running and running...).

That´s the main problem. An adventure-like quick travel map would have upped this decent game from 7/10 to 8/10.
I think there are better RPGs out there to spend your time with.
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 6:50 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next