Members
Usergroups
Sacred: No blood in the US for good!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Garrett

Sacred: No blood in the US for good!

The <a href="http://www.ascaron-forum.com//showflat.php?Cat=&Number=29641&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1" target="_blank">official Sacred forum</a> says it all: It seems as the US version does not have the blood & gore included at all, so players won't be able to activate the blood & gore afterwards:<blockquote><em>I would like a definitive answer to the Blood and Gore US issue... Will I be able to simply change 'violence = 0' to 'violence = 1' in the 'settings.cfg' file in the US version to get around the reduced blood and gore nonsense in the full version? Or is it necessary to purchase the UK version for full blood and gore? I tried the config change in the demo and it changes the blood and gore level, as one would expect, just want to know if that will be the option in the full version, and whether that will fully restore the game to it's original state 100%...</em></blockquote>And this is the answer from Ascaron's Ingo Mohr:<blockquote><em>Our partner Encore wanted to get a 12+ rating for Sacred and they did.
<br>We will do nothing to endanger the rating or the distribution policy of Encore in the US. I think this is quite understandable.</em></blockquote>Strange thing to see that, as usually German versions of games get tuned down to avoid banning by the government...
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:01 am
Melvil
Village Leader
Village Leader

Guess I'll be importing or boycotting. BTW, the government wouldn't ban this game, but Encore seems to think that 12+ games sell better than mature games. I suppose EB threatening to ID gamers also has an effect on this. Lame either way. Meanwhile, Doom 3 and Half Life 2 will gives us new and creative ways to kill and maim. Haven't heard anything about censoring those games.
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:51 am
Ariel
Harmonious Angel
Harmonious Angel

quote:
Originally posted by Garrett
It seems as the US version does not have the blood & gore included at all, so players won't be able to activate the blood & gore afterwards.

I still believe, or hope rather, that this can eventually be rectified by an unofficial, perhaps fan-made "patch". Aside from that, yes, it's very peculiar. The first time a German version of a game has gore in it whereas the US version is being censored.
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:14 pm
GoodGuy8705
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

No Blood?

This has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. For one, this little plan with the no blood will slow their sales greatly, not improve them. We dont even have a 12+ rating. If you look at other games that have blood and gore like Diablo 2, one of the best selling games of all time is rated mature. Ascaron and Encore are wasting time and money to remove gore which in turn will effectively reduce sales. I for one am not to happy with the decision. I was greatly looking forward to Sacred but now I'm not as interested when this sort of bullplop happens. I had planned on purchasing the game when it was released but I don't think I'm going to now.

Last edited by GoodGuy8705 on Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:17 pm
Lucky Day

good for them.
Its nice see someone still has some sense of standards and that game ratings are finally being taken seriously by parents and stores.
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:26 pm

Dagar

This will kill the game in the USA!
I know that I will not buy this censored software. I will get an import version. I guess they think games fans are stupid and won't know the difference - bah! RPG fans are way smarter than that. With all of the RPG sites reporting this fact who would want a censored version of the game? I want the game how the CREATORS created the game and not how Encore WANTS the game to be.
Boycott the USA release! Don't support censorship.

Why not make 2 versions available Encore?
Shame on you.
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:37 pm

Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

"Stupid is as stupid does."
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:39 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

This doesn't effect my decision to purchase the game.
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:46 pm
Dagar

Let Encore know your displeasure by leaving them a message:
http://www.encoresoftware.com/dbdriven/support/supportrequest.aspx?z=2

Censorship in the USA really sickens me.
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:54 pm

GoodGuy8705
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Idea..

Why doesn't someone with skills in proramming take files from the English demo and use them in the reatail version to turn the gore on. I'm sure some of these files are compatible with the retail version. The core files are probably exactly the same for the retail version.
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:04 pm
Fleisch
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Will there be a UK version with gore? (Or French or Italian, both of which I understand better than German, but are harder to find import sources for)?
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:53 pm
Xaximus

A big part of the game is killing things... non-human and human. They have no problem with killing people, just as long as they don't bleed? Why? I don't understand the reasoning behind it at all. Are there actually parents out there who don't mind if their kids play games where they're killing people, just as long as they don't bleed like real people? How bizarre.
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:48 pm

Lord_Brownie
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Day
good for them.
Its nice see someone still has some sense of standards and that game ratings are finally being taken seriously by parents and stores.

Ratings systems should help parents, not hinder programers' creativity or keep products from mature buyers. They are not taking the rating system serously, they are trying to make money. Their focus in on marketing, not getting proper rating for the game the programers made.
LB
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:53 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

GoGamer will carry the UK-version.
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:01 pm
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

quote:
Originally posted by Val
This doesn't effect my decision to purchase the game.

Same here. Im still buying the game because i liked the demo a lot, despite this.
Post Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:19 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next