Might and Magic 1-8(4&5 counted as one)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Melvil
Village Leader
Village Leader

Might and Magic 1-8(4&5 counted as one)

I've recently been on a M&M kick so I thought I'd come spam you folks with my M&M best to worst(1 best, 8 worst)

1. Might and Magic III is easily my favorite in the series. The music was classic, the puzzles were tough, the monsters were well drawn for the time, plenty of loot (Photon Obsidian Long Sword of Monster Slaying!), and not to mention my first PC title (on a mac se/30).

2. Might and Magic VII improved on MMVI in regards to cohesive plot, turn-based combat and less enemies swarming. Having a city state to upgrade and improve also added to the enormity of the game. This game also had a very strict class/skill breakdown which I liked because the replay value of trying different class combinations. The good and evil paths at the end actually had an effect on gameplay too. Light and Dark magic made combat preperation somewhat different.

3. World of Xeen takes the cake on massiveness. Combining part 4 and part 5 was a stroke of genius and made a big game full of content to discover and explore. The hierarchy of the end bosses helped keep you going and it also had a castle upgrade quest(who doesn't want to have a keep?). The music was good and the engine, while archaic, is still one of my favorite setups.

4. Might and Magic VI upgraded the graphics, added great music scores, tons of quests, items, monsters, deep dungeons and the fly spell. A huge game, perhaps the biggest of the bunch, many were turned off by the end because of the laser guns. Well, anyone who had played MM before knew about the overarching sci-fi storyline that always tied things together at the end. Great game despite unpolished turn-based combat and too much hack and slash. Might play this one again after I destroy Darkside of Xeen.

5. Might and Magic II was my first M&M game. I purchased it for my Sega Genesis and played it for what seems like an eternity. Very tough game in regards to combat and puzzles. Sometimes you go up against 100+ monsters and winning can be a real problem. The mind games were fun and some of the puzzle quests were downright impossible for a 10 year old . If someone remade this game using the engine from 3-5 or 6-8 I'd play it in a second. I believe this was the first game I played where I power leveled my characters just for the fun of it.

6. I suppose I'll throw Might and Magic: Secret of the Inner Sanctum right here. After all, it was the beginning of my favorite CRPG series and set the foundation for all that followed. That said, the dated graphics and PC Speaker audio are just too dated for me. Others may put this higher, but they probably played it when it came out back in the late eighties.

7. Might and Magic VIII, while good, began to show signs of an aging series. Completely repeditive of past games I only finished this one after not touching M&M games for over a year. The difficulty level wasn't very high and the dungeons were all on the small side. To give it credit, the last quarter of the game was fun, reintroduced elemental planes and even had a password puzzle! The end sequence alluded to the next game, though, I'm not sure they actually tied it together.

8. Might and Magic IX dissapointed on many levels. The inventory system sucked, the bugs hurt, the graphics were nothing to write home about and the quests were redundant. I've tried playing this one many times and I get further everytime I play, but I figure I'll never really beat it. It felt rushed and I do lay the blame squarely on 3DO's head. I just can't believe Jon Van Caneghem would release a game this poor if he had the ablility not to.

That's where I stand on the M&M series as of tonight. I'd like to read others opinions so please feel free to critique my summaries. Also keep in mind that, besides part 9, all these games are in my all time top 100.

Melvil
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:39 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

good summary -> World of Xeen would change the place with MM 3 in my list.

Never played #9.
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:06 pm
Wysardry
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I haven't played the entire MM series yet, but I would place MM VI above MM VII, as the latter was shorter/smaller and the skill system more restrictive.

A group of fans are worked on an independant MM game. If you're interested, take a look at the new Might and Magic Tribute website.

As for remakes of the MM classics, I'm looking into the practicality of attempting that very thing (starting with MM I).
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:51 pm
Melvil
Village Leader
Village Leader

Tribute game

Ya well, a few months ago I actually volunteered to help with the music on the tribute game, but I wasn't able to get the proper recording materials together, so sadly I'll just spectate
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:03 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

The skill restrictions in MM7 were the biggest step. You were forced to make decisions on what skills you would do without. It added replay value, and, more important to me, added complexity to the character development.

Until recently, MM7 was my #1 favorite game. Wiz8 took the crown, but it's a very close call. MM6's world was incredible, but not having skill restrictions meant a party could "have it all" with every character if they could find the cash.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:56 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Loved the series. I began with the first. I even finished 9, though it was obviously unfinished. One of my favourite things in v11 was Arcomage, and I always loved the humour. I'll miss this series.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:49 am
Arma
Mysterious Lady
Mysterious Lady

corwin, why miss them? UbiSoft have said that they will almost for sure work on a new game in the series.
Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:54 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I haven't looked in a while, but last I had heard they only planned on doing HoMM5.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:59 pm
Desdicado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I hope we see X !!!.

Here is my order

1- M&M 7 - Nice graphics, great plot and skill system.

2- M&M 6

3- M&M 8

4- M&M 3- My First PC Rpg, awesome!

5- M&M 2 - My first RPG, also amazing

6- M&M 9

7- M&M 4&5
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:48 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

ARggh!! This is tough! How do I rank my favorite series of all time?

Lemme see ...

1. This spot has to go to VI. The timing was just perfect. I was Jones-ing for a good RPG and I just happened to see this for sale. Six weeks later I got a normal life back *grin*. I don't think it's the best of the series, but it is the one I am fondest of.

2. VII, though IV&V run a very close nose to nose

3. IV&V

4. III - Man, oh man, where those puzzles hard!

5. A big jump here to VIII

6. An even bigger jump to that almost-coulda-been unfinished lump IX.

I can not rank 1 or 2 as I never really played them out. This is my ranking ... this week! IV through VII are all extrondinary games. I loved each. It has been well over 4 years since I last played VI, but I can still see the towns and the geography.
Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:25 pm
Desdicado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Lintra,

I've replayed them ALL over the last year. Started with VII, then VIII, I then got IX and finally did VI , man is that a big game!. I've now started III and IV& V at the same time.
I have all the "Congratulations, you have completed M&M ...." in my My Documents.

It's well worth the run through again!.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:32 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Well, as Xen said, this is the year for MMIV (get it?). Next year will be MMV etc.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:23 pm
Wysardry
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Let's hope that Ubisoft release MMX a little early then.
Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:54 pm