Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Are manufacturer's attempts at copy protection worthwhile?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Are copy protection schemes worth it?
Yes, they save money for the manufacturers.
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
No, they don't save the manufacturer any money. Just a waste.
92%
 92%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 14

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

CD copy-protection schemes don't work and never will. I support authors protecting their income and perhaps there are other ways of doing it but products like safedisc aren't it.

I use no-CD cracks for every game I have. It saves the hassle of swapping discs and load-times improve. My partner also likes to dabble in games but isn't very serious about it. I just can't justify buying a 2nd copy of NWN so she can play it for 10 minutes a couple of times.

There are several things publishers can do to decrease piracy without using protection systems.

I think one problem is the delayed released of titles outside of the US (or occassionally Germany). Living in Australia, many titles are released months after their US debut. Morrowind, for example, did not have an Aus distributor when it was initially released, so we didn't even know when it might reach here. I payed AU $160 to order it from EB, but even then UPS took 10 days to deliver it. I was playing a warez copy the day after it's US release.

Gothic was released here last month (no comment even necessary for this one. That's a nearly year after it's initial [german] release. I have bought a full copy but have nearly finished playing the warez version I downloaded a couple of months ago.

I appreciate that business issues sometimes mean it's impossible to undertake a world-wide simultaneous release but I don't think many companies even try. Multi-language translations I can understand. Small companies like Piranha Bytes that might not have ever undertaken distribution in Australia (or where ever) I can understand. But what's the excuse for delayed release of a major title from a publisher that has an office in Australia and we need no localisation?

Online manuals is another issue. HOMM 4 is one of those titles that really needs a manual IMHO. But the AU version only shipped with a PDF on disc. Not much incentive against a pirater who could be playing HOMM 4 WITH the online manual 2 months before it was available retail.

As a computer professional I understand the dilemna of software piracy so I purchase all the games I play. However, many people aren't going to be so scrupulous. Game publishers need to make sure they minimise the desire to obtain illegal copies. With the increase in broadband uptake it's only going to get easier to get these copies.

Inconveniencing players with CD-checking protection only encourages piracy.
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:19 am
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Then I started downloading rips for purposes of evaluation. What better way to evaluate a game than to have it? If I liked it, I went out and bought a full version.

MoonDragon,

I agree. I can't tell you how many times my Uncle would buy a kick-arse [that I didn't know of] game, burn it for me, and I would end up buying the full version. I'd also buy the expansion and the sequel. So because of that one burned copy, I'd be paying up to $100 when I would have payed $0. I remember I he burned Age of Empires for me, ah the good ole days, I eventually bought the expansion, AOK, and AOK's expansion. ...and I got him hooked on a little city building game from Sierra called Pharoah.

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 4:11 am
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

quote:
Originally posted by MoonDragon
I can tell you this much. When they start implementing their own controls well, I'll stop buying. In fact, many of the games I have on my shelf now (and that have been installed on my computer for a long time) I don't play again because I'm too lazy to try and find the CD. They won't let me play without the CD. Soon enough I won't buy them any more. It's just not worth it. I may be a lone crazy wolf on this, but I'm sure people will soon follow.

I don't think you are a lone wolf on this issue - I know I feel much the same. All they are successfully doing for me is to alienate me. Long ago I made a conscious decision to stop purchasing ANY program that used a dongle as a copy protection mechanism and haven't bought or used one since. I am very likely to refuse to buy any future game that utilizes the Safe Disk technique now popular as I have had severe problems (along with others) with both games I have bought so far.
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 4:13 am
Day Dreamer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You can play any......ANY.....game without having to buy it. Even the online ones with CD-Keys. I don't know about you, but a CD-Key hasn't stoped me yet. Heck, even Pay-to-Play games don't stop some people. My motto - "There is a way around everything."

Oh ya....as for the correct reply. I'd have to say, no, they certainly do not help at all.
Post Fri Jul 26, 2002 2:12 am
mikelhall
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

My .02.

I'm tired of getting ripped out of $60. I used to go to the store and *buy* every new game I wanted to play. I bet I spent close to $5000 while in college. 1/2 of the games I bought were unplayable and maybe 1 out of 5 was any good. Now, music used to be the same way. The only way you got to hear what Armored Saint sounded like was to buy it, unless your friend had. If it sucked - oops $15.00 in the round file.

Now, games have demos that are worthwhile and easily accessible. This helps cull the chaff so to speak. But, it's games like PoR2, and MM9 that really give me the creeps when shelling out 60 bucks. I try to download a full version (yeah, I know its *bad*), and play it first. If is sux, then no cash out. If I could return bad games just becuase the were bad, I'd buy more to start with. Really good games, I do go out a buy full versions. The only reason I do this, and the reason that matters most is this: If it is a decent product that you USE, you must morally pay for it to support those who created. This kind of morallity may be in a grey area, but that's the way I feel. Again, If I could return a game in 7 days, no questions asked (like a local auto lemon law), then this guy would be buying and returning alot of games, and not keeping *copies* of them.

CD copy protection doesn't work. Manual protection is still viable, even if the game copier uploads a PDF.

There are still a few cases where I buy the game before any reviews or reports on stability. Morrowind, NWN, Wizardry 8, and yes, even Ulima 9 (the dragon edition even). I'll be doing the same with Arx, Lionheart, IWD2, etc. Good programming, and good story, reliable company has me sold before I even taste it.

Yeah, this is probably rambling, it's late. I wish that everyone would pay for the good games and everyone get their money back for the bad ones. It's not a perfect world, but we all make our way through it somehow.

=Member of the Worshipers of the Written Word=
=Member of the RPGDot Shadows=
=Member of the Sixth House=
=Member of the Alliance of Middle-Earth=
=Member of the Non-Flamer's Guild=
=Member of the Followers of Righteousness=
Post Fri Jul 26, 2002 2:49 am
Day Dreamer
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Someone on this forum has/had a signature that said "If you can't buy it, copy it"
Words to live by.
Post Fri Jul 26, 2002 11:23 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

This someone's signature is aimed at study books.
Post Sat Jul 27, 2002 11:37 am
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

I really do not think this thread is appropriate for this forum (General CRPG talk). After all, piracy does not belong to the subjects RPGDot supports...

IMHO, This belongs to the offtopic forum...
Post Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:31 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2