Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - Yet More Reviews
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion - Yet More Reviews

The latest Oblivion reviews:<blockquote><em><ul><li><a href="http://www.gameplaymonthly.com/reviews/oblivion-pc.php" target="_blank">Gameplay Monthly - 9.1/10</a><li><a href="http://www.dignews.com/feature.php?story_id=14428" target="_blank">Digital Entertainment News - 9.7/10</a></ul>With their characteristic wit, Gamers with Jobs has a <a href="http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/23203" target="_blank">review</a> that tries to avoid being a review but actually still is:<blockquote><em>Frankly I have no interest in reviewing Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for a number of reasons. First I’d lose a lot of objective credibility in making statements like the following: Oblivion is one of the greatest CRPGs made. It is in the company of titles like Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate, and Ultima IV. Further, and this is the real part that keeps me from penning any sort of structured review, I simply have no interest in wasting my precious Oblivion time being meticulous, objective, critical, or jaded. I’m having far too much fun simply exploring and experiencing the game to try and turn a cynical eye toward it. It’s not that this is a game without faults, but to dwell on those faults would be like complaining that Keira Knightly’s nose is too straight or Jessica Alba’s lingerie was too see-through.</em></blockquote>
Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:04 am
Dr. A

Erm, actually regarding the quote on the faults - I find the faults are huge enough to be detrimental. And I'm nt talking abt minor annoyances here (Keira's nose being too straight) im talking abt major ones (Keira has a boil on her face large than her nose)

Of course the biggest fault i see is level-scaling

And the rest?
UI - 6 inventory items on screen at one time, wtf?
AI - Enemies can't jump so u can just jump onto a rock just out of reach and they will run around like headless chickens viciously attacking the rock, NPCs starting a seperate conversations at the same time, etc
Dialogue system - I though Morrowind's dialoge system was messy. Oblivion's dialoge is designed for kiddies.
There are technical issues too (physics bugs, graphical quirks).

Oblivion is a GREAT game but it's not FANTASTIC. I would say Oblivion is only just better than Morrowind gameplay-wise. Especially combat. Dear God, Morrowind combat was just excruciating.

Sorry for the rant - but i just had to get it off my chest after seeing all the 90%-100% scores Oblivion is getting. Personally I would rate it 75%-80%. The graphics help substantially for that score. Too bad gameplay was secondary to Bethesda
Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:25 am

Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

......Nevertheless, Oblivion is running as smooth as silk for me, i am deeply immersed in the game, the playability factor due to the many quests is high - and if i had to choose one of the plethora of reviews or reflections that suits my way of thinking, it would be this 'non-review' by Elysium at Gamers with jobs.

Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:52 am
Dr. A

Well, i'm glad that you are enjoying yourself

I guess i'm just too nitpicky - i'm just gonna wait breathlessly for an official patch..the 1st of many, i bet
Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:29 am

Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I love OB and and think it's the bestess game ever, but here is a laundry list of things that suck hard....
Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:44 pm
ikbenrichard

quote:
Originally posted by Jung
I love OB and and think it's the bestess game ever, but here is a laundry list of things that suck hard....

i agree and even then a great game .
the biggest suck for me is the auto lvling of the loot and enemies. ruins the gameplay a bit. o well for the console people it is done most likely. mmmm console once again ruins the UI too. big fonts and small inventory.

still the game is very good with is flaws.

i just hope that fallout3 is better in that perspective
Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:22 pm