Usergroups
Huge frame rate problems
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
batsstab
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well my system specs are a celeron 633 overclocked to 950 , 256 megs of ram , Windows XP and a geforce 3ti 200 overclocked to geforce 3 speeds withe the new 28.32 drivers so i dont understand why i get 10-15 fps even when i turn off the view distance and detailed textures. I've even tried it in the lowest resolutions but that doesnt help at all. Its impossible to play when I'm in a camp because it is so choopy. Anyone have any ideas?
Post Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:30 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Is the frame rate estimated, or measured with the internal frame counter?

[ This Message was edited by: Gorath on 2002-04-02 14:35 ]
Post Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:34 pm
batsstab
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm just guessing but the frame rate makes it very unplayable.
Post Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:46 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Type smarvins (or bmarvinb). F2 opens the console, the command is 'toggle frame'.

Set your resolution to 1024*768*32 with max. details.
Outside the OC you should constantly get ~20 fps. Near Thorus ~18 fps.
Post Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:55 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

My landlord has this same problem on a 1.4ghz Athlon. He played Gothic under Win2K and a GeForce 3, no problem. He upgraded to WinXP and developed the same framerate problems. He eventually gave up and dumped Gothic. I don't have this problem on a 450mhz PIII and ATI All-In-Wonder DDR Radeon, a far inferior computer. As far as we can tell, it's an issue between WinXP, the GeForce 3 and Gothic.

Something you might try, though, is having your computer fixed. I couldn't get Gothic to run for more than a few minutes without crashing. While we were troubleshooting the problem we found out that my computer was over clocked (like yours). I took it in to CompUSA and they fixed it for me, no problems ever since!

''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 12:45 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

I think that Jaz also had problems with over clocking.

Post Wed Apr 03, 2002 2:51 am
jokera_us
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

hello

im running 98 on a 1.2 athlon 640mb sdram gf3 ti200 (getting ready to update drivers) 5400 rpm drive. oh yeah, i can play the game without the disks HAHAHA

i thinks it has something to do with the buffer or some kind of graphic cache (im stoopid ok) but after a couple of coughs from my machine the game will run seamlessly for a couple of hours then start coughing again

Post Fri Apr 05, 2002 10:13 pm
Wruf
City Guard
City Guard

There's a new nVidia driverset out? I should be checking my email more often ...

Anyway, it could be that Gothic doesn't like something in the newer drivers. Like I said, I read somewhere that it has a strong affinity to the 23.11 build. However, since nVidia rarely actually decrease in quality with driver updates, I doubt that very much. However, it is a possibility and I'll try updating later tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

Edit ::emits a Deedee-like Woooo ...:: Well, it's certainly not your drivers. I can say that for sure. I wasn't sure what to expect but the only one thing that irritated me graphically is gone. Normally, after a load I'd get a slowdown for about three seconds as the polygons were drawn, it'd run at about two frames per second for that time. That didn't bother me in the least because it only ever happened after loading and everything else is smooth. Well, now I load and it only slows down a little, there are considerable increases there. I'm quite impressed. Anyone who hasn't, get the 23.38 build. It's good for you. Everyone probably knew this before I did. ;3 But, you knowww ... ::says he, in a Blade accent:: just in case.

[ This Message was edited by: Wruf on 2002-04-07 16:50 ]
Post Sun Apr 07, 2002 8:08 pm