RPGDot Feature: Boiling Point: Road to Hell - First Impressi
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

RPGDot Feature: Boiling Point: Road to Hell - First Impressi

Deep Shadows' 'Boiling Point: Road to Hell' is a fascinating free-roaming mix of action and RPG elements. We take a look at the first half a dozen hours of this ambitious title. Here's an excerpt:<em><blockquote>Boiling Point casts the player as Saul Myers, a grizzled ex-Legionnaire who rushes to Realia to search for his daughter Lisa - a young journalist who has gone missing in this volatile locale. It's a simple storyline that underscores the simple but exciting premise: create a huge, detailed simulation with multiple factions, lots of NPCs, missions, vehicles, equipment…and let the player loose. The pre-release details describe a 25km x 25km continuous play world, while the back of our UK box claims 240 square miles - either way, Boiling Point offers a truly massive play area with absolutely no boundaries or loading screens.</em></blockquote>Read it all <a href="http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1126">here</a>.
Post Mon May 30, 2005 2:51 pm
Funktion
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I bought this game on it's release here in Europe, and I've been having a blast. Yes, it has several (minor) bugs, but it's a really fun game. It's like Deus Ex on a different (and much bigger) setting, so as a fan of the first Deus Ex game I couldn't be happier.

It's a shame the game is being majorly ignored, since Atari didn't bother to promote the game.
Anyone looking for a FPS/RPG hybrid, in a fascinating world with hundreds of quests/missions (I've done dozens so far, and I only explored a small part of the map!), give it a try.

By the way, they are aware of the bugs, and a patch was promised to be released this week.

Deep Shadows is a very small developer, and it sure could use some sales.
Their next game, Precursors, will be very similar but on a Sci-Fi setting, with several planets to explore and space exploration.
Post Mon May 30, 2005 3:01 pm
vid

i second all you´ve said.
great game!
Post Mon May 30, 2005 4:34 pm

my2ndlife

i just finished the game and i can tell you, its a nice game both graphics and gameplay wise. there are some annoying bugs but still i liked this game alot more then the common shooters these days.

i bought extra ram to get this game smoother to play. 1 gig ram is helping alot instead of 768 mb ram.

overall i really enjoyed it, except the end
Post Mon May 30, 2005 4:41 pm

Destroth

I'm enjoying the hell out of this one, even though I got the government on my ass.
Post Mon May 30, 2005 6:53 pm

Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Just ordered it . Note to my fellow countrymen: Okaysoft (www.okaysoft.de) has the original English DVD version in stock for EUR 39.90.
Post Mon May 30, 2005 8:12 pm
Funktion
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Moriendor
Just ordered it . Note to my fellow countrymen: Okaysoft (www.okaysoft.de) has the original English DVD version in stock for EUR 39.90.

I believe all European editions are the same. From what I gathered there is no German edition, all Europe got the same edition (with install options in several languages, including English, German, French, Spanish, ...).
Post Mon May 30, 2005 9:02 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Funktion
quote:
Originally posted by Moriendor

I believe all European editions are the same. From what I gathered there is no German edition, all Europe got the same edition (with install options in several languages, including English, German, French, Spanish, ...).

Yes, the "German" version only has German subtitles but the rest of the game is in English. I don't know if the subtitles can be turned off though *and* the "German" version is being sold for around EUR 45.00 at some places. That's why I thought I'd point out that you can get the UK version for the same price (if you add shipping fees) or even cheaper (if you order stuff for a total of EUR 75.00+ from Okaysoft then there are no shipping fees).
Post Mon May 30, 2005 11:38 pm