View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Morrowind 1 or 2?

Hey,

I've heard some great things about The Elder Scrolls. I was wondering, if anyone has an opinion that is, if there was a Morrowind 1 and 2 and if so would it benefit me to play those first? Or should I just jump in at III?

Just needing something to play until Gothic II becomes available.

TIA ~T
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:18 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

The earlier games was not never called Morrowind, but Arena and Daggerfall. The story of the games is set in the Elders Scrolls universe. Nowadays it is difficult to get the earlier games. Maybe you should contact Bethesda (developer & publisher) about it. I heard both won't work on Windows XP, however for Daggerfall you should get Daggerfall WinXP installer (to make the installation possible) at Fileplanet http://www.fileplanet.com/files/110000/114400.shtml
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:41 am
Gish
Almighty Gish
Almighty Gish

no just skip to Morrowind(The Elder Scrolls 3). the first two(Arena and Daggerfall) are really old and outdated.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:41 am
FireAnt
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

what about Redguard? wasn't that elderscrolls?
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:10 am
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

The Elder scrolls games were
Arena
Daggerfall
Battlespire
Redguard
and now Morrowind. Redguard and Battlespire were not really RPG“s but more Action Adventure and Action titles, respectively. As said before all of these are hard to get today (Ebay usually has a few copies though). And the old games are sometimes hard to run on modern machines - slowdown utilities, the mentioned XP installer, and Glide emulators (for redguard) help somewhat.
Daggerfall and Areana are graphically indeed outdated (low res, low poly DOS 3D graphics). Nevertheless they still hold a certain appeal due to their open-ended free-form style - if you dont mind trying old games for what they are, they might be worth a try.
All in all MW is the best in the series for me though.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:04 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

All true

Yep, Battlespire and Redguard were set in the same universe but were not part of the Elder Scrolls arc. Think UFO: Enemy Unknown, X-COM: Terror From the Deep and then X-COM: Enforcer. Same universe, not the same game.

There's no real reason to play Arena and Daggerfall as a precursor to playing Morrowind - there's a couple of little plot points flying around, but nothing that most people would notice.

Daggerfall is, however, a fantastic game that has never been matched in sheer size and freedom - not even by Morrowind. I'd recommend anyone who finds Morrowind's sense of freedom as fascinating as I do to give it a go. If you can put up with the outdated graphics and occasional bugs, it's still a real gem.
Post Wed Dec 04, 2002 3:21 pm
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Thanks!

I'll try Morrowind then. Old games are good but I can only appreciate them if I really enjoyed the sequels. Like Heretic II for instance. I played that and then found a copy of Hexen. It was pitiful on the graphics side, but I enjoyed it because I liked H2 so much.

Thanks again. ~T
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 4:37 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

The whole Heretic/Hexen series would be Heretic -> Hexen -> Hexen II-> Heretic II (not counting the add-ons and enhanced versions like Shadows of the Serpent Riders, Death Kings of the Dark Citadel and Portals of Praevus. I love them all dearly and I still play those old games. I don't find themunattractive - optics alone just don't make a good game, and in their respective times those games were state of the art.

Of the Elder Scrolls games you might check out Redguard and Daggerfall. Daggerfall's graphics may be outdated but as others pointed out it was a terrific game... in my opinion it is much better than Morrowind since it has a better story and many more different territories to explore. Beware though, the game was severely bugged! There's at least one 20+ MB bugfix patch out there. Redguard's optics are fresher, it was the first true 3D title (no sprites) in the series. And it was called 'Redguard: An Elder Scrolls Adventure' so it is part of the Elder Scrolls series, however distantly related.
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:28 pm
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Excellent. Yeah, I really loved that series as well. (Heretic) I still play online, coop and the real game, just as I do Gothic actually.

I'm wondering. . . .how long ago was Redguard released? I will get Morrowind (Been calling it Morrowmind forever. LOL) in any case, but is it 'necessary' to play them in order?

Thanks again, great info for me!

~T
Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 3:17 am
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Doesn't matter at all. There are one or two books in MW that would make more sense if you'd played earlier games, but that's it. You're in for a treat -- unless you have trouble dealing with choice!
Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 3:59 am
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I love Heretic, but I didn't find the sequels as appealing. There was just something about it. The last in the series..heretic 2, I think, was fun.
Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 4:54 am
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Choices=GOOD. LOL

Yes, Heretic II is by far the best and most fun. Online play is going on still. We're a close knit community but still goin' strong. Fun stuff!
Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 6:49 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

@Temptress: Redguard is from '99. No, there's no need to play the other games since they're just loosely connected by playing in the same world. It would just add some background knowledge as Srikandi already stated .

@Jung: IMO the Hexen games (if compared to the Heretics) were a tad too difficult to be really enjoyable, and the mission packs unsinspired. I still love them. But the best game with the Hexen (I) engine still was - IMO of course - Strife. For one thing, it had a good story, good - if static, comic-like - cutscenes, I liked the Science Fantasy setting, the dialogues and it was not as difficult as Hexen. And it was more RPG-like.
Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 3:38 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Heretic and Hexen were first games I ever bought on PC. Great games...
Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 3:50 pm
Temptress
Purely Innocent
Purely Innocent

Thanks Jaz. I'm glad it's not that old.

Danicek, I got my copies free with my computer! LOL. But, I still love 'em.

~T
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:24 am