FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Easy stealing breaks immersion
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread

Easy stealing breaks immersion

I'm baffled that among so many Morrowind complains no one seems to have mentioned that you can easily rob houses of possessions, such as Greater Soulgems and the like. Do it in any interior that doesn't have a merchant/trader or Imperial guard and apart from threatening comments by the inhabitants, no one attacks you and your bounty rating doesn't rise. I doubt this is intended, and I wonder how it could slip through testing. Has anybody else experienced this? It should be a common problem, unless people love the exploit possibilities.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:05 am

SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

its called being a "theif" that will be your job, to STEAL StUFF!! its not a bug, its something you ARE SUPPOSED to be able to do. what other purpose would a thief class have then? eh?

Don't you feel better now?
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:22 am

You don't understand: it's without sneaking. I don't play a thief class. I just stand in front of a bloke and say: "You don;t mind if I take this?" And he/she replies: "Sure, take anything you like. It's all yours. Come back anytime." After I take it he/she spouts out: "Thief!!!" in such a strange way that only I hear it. I then ask him/her: "But I thought it was OK with you." And he/she replies: "It is. Nobody is going to bother you. I just had to say something stupid for I was programmed to do so. If you ask me, I should have wacked you after your first question, but the program for that is missing."
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 3:56 am

TreeStump

true

Its true that thieving is limitted by the static nature of many characters. There is no dynamic hunt or search, but more importantly, as you pointed out, there is no meaningfully intelligent interaction with someone breaking the mores of a house.

These things could well be programmed, though I don't know how much work scripting is to attach such a thing to general household personell.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:03 am

Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Yeah, I noticed this too as a level 3 (or something) character when I took a silt strider to the big towns and ended up in a store that sold bonemold armour and I couldn't help myself and grabbed a breastplate and prepared to run. What happened was that the store owner started saying "Heyyouheyyouheyyou" and pointing a finger at me. Nothing else. So I calmly picked his shelves clean and exited the store. Nothing outside either. I've never heard anything about that incident since.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:25 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

That's strange. Would I do that, I would get attacked by the shop owner or by the guard in the shop. And I would have a bounty on my head.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:39 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Heh, it's funny how people complain how all these suicidal critters attack them on sight and are being so unrealistic. Then when some merchant or servant is actually intimidated and doesn't suicidally jump you, you complain how it's too easy.

Curiouser and curiouser...
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 4:41 pm

Well, at the very least your bounty rating should go up. And as far as I know merchants and Imperial guards will react. But if they aren't around in interiors nothing happens other than the useless comment they make.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 8:18 pm

Singing Sausage
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Moondragon said:

"Heh, it's funny how people complain how all these suicidal critters attack them on sight and are being so unrealistic."

It IS sort of funny how the indigenous fauna attack you upon sight, seeing as how this is generally against animal instinct regarding contact with man, although this could be explained by any number of reasons one could proffer i.e. the fauna that lives in Morrowind could be created by magicians, therefore, they are not normal, and do not live by "natural" animal instinct, and are actually guided by a set of principles instilled in their hereditary/genetic structure by the being(s) that created them that makes them ultra-aggressive, and wont (not wAnt) to attack any living being that crosses their path.

"...Then when some merchant or servant is actually intimidated and doesn't suicidally jump you, you complain how it's too easy."

The problem I see here is that "intimidating" someone in Morrowind consists solely of starting a conversation, choosing the intimidate option, and either being successful or failing. One does not choose to do this when lifting items right in front of a shopkeeper. Stealing is clearly not the same as intimidation, as intimidation generally deals with the implied threat of violence, which is not occurring when you merely take an item from a shopkeeper and run, although doing something like this IS realistic, because it happens in real life (people wahooing alcohol, etc.). What is NOT realistic is the idea that there is no bounty increase, certainly, but more so that the shopkeeper takes no actions to protect his goods. I can see if he didn't want to attack you head on "suicidally", but the idea that he would not alert the townspeople of your treachery, which WOULD result in more than general discontent and unkind words\reactions, and CERTAINLY alert the guards of your crime and have them deal with you, because you merely leave his shop/dwelling is ludicrous. It IS far too easy to steal and get away with it. Because of this, you can "case" a joint i.e. Thieve's guild, steal a bunch of |337 goodz, turn invisible, run out, and resemble a big winner on "The Price is Right", period. No Thieve's guild assassins sent after you, no police/guard pursues you, no mob of angry, morally outraged townspeople attempt to lynch you, or ANYTHING like the above examples, so one must "police" their own actions, which in turn, does lower the amount of "immersiveness" one experiences in the game. This is one of the first things that I noticed about the game (I've owned it for the XBox for four days now) and I have to admit that it does lessen the overall experience. I can't believe that this was allowed to make it past the cutting-room floor, but it is one "bad", small aspect of a good game overall.

"Curiouser and curiouser..."

Are you the risen Carroll Lewis?
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:11 pm
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Who cares. Simply do not steal if you are not a thief. If i goto someones house in real life i could steal while they are there. They cant be everywhere at the same time. If they are downstairs and you are up then obviously they dont see you. Why do you think in some places the guard patrols upstairs and down. End of argument. Hey wait!! That blade of grass should be 1 foot tall not 6 inches!! Thats so unrealistic!! ITS THE END OF THE WORLD!! World population ... 80% toolz 20% actually have common sense.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:42 am
Lordr31z
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Oh ya.. F@!k real life. I do not want to see it in the games. If a rat wants to come up and test me then its on. This game takes place in Morrowind a fantasy world not earth or reality. Again, you want real life go outside and get some sun or goto the park. Just watch for blighted squirrels.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 3:46 am

I see that Lordr31z brings some very good arguments here...
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 8:01 am

bpdlr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Totally unrealistic

Yet again, Lordr31z replies with an inane rant that reinforces the opinion that he's a spotty 12-yr old who's never played another game in his life and thinks Morrowind is the canine's testicles.

I think the basic problem with the stealing being referred to here is that it occurs when there is only one occupant of the house, unless that occupant is also a merchant. If the occupant is not a merchant, you can take whatever you want, and although they make stupid comments like "Stop...him!" and "Guards, thief!", you can talk to them afterwards and they behave as if nothing has happened.

I've taken other people's advice and started playing Gothic, and I'm impressed. Bethsoft got the lovely graphics right but f**ked up on gameplay, which is a crying shame.

BaZ
Boycott Shampoo!
Demand REAL poo!
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:46 pm
Mattias Kreku
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Would it really have been that hard ot make shopkeepers run after you, even outside their own stores? Or perhaps CALL FOR HELP (I absolutely HATE IT when noone's around, I kill someone and 0.01 seconds later every guard in the land of Morrowind knows I am a criminal)?

When noone's around to see my crimes, noone should know about them. And guards should CHASE AFTER ME. As it is now, I just calmly walk up to a guard, pay 36 gold (even for murder, I have no clue why) and everything's back to normal. Oh yeah, I get 10% off because I "turned myself in". No sh*t?! Noone else would have turned me in! Lazy guards.

I actually reinstalled Gothic (even though I finished it 3 times) and Thief 2 because Morrowind's stealing system is so.. fubared.. erm.. (Tango & Cash forever! )
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:47 pm

bpdlr, I also thought at first that the condition could be only one common occupant in a house. However, I later found out that I could do the same in Ebonheart with 2-3 common occupants and 2 other people guarding a door.

KleinT

PS: I'm also playing Gothic and enjoying it. Hope I won't be too dissappointed when I start seriously playing Morrowind. To be fair I should only compare the two when Morrowinds final patch comes out, as I'm playing the final patched version of Gothic.
Post Wed Jun 19, 2002 11:08 pm