Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Gothic 2 is awesome in every respect but voice acting - Why?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
oozle
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Gothic 2 is awesome in every respect but voice acting - Why?

Gothic 2 is easily one of the best games I've ever played. However, it is perfect in almost every respect except voice acting. Why did they hire B-grade English voice actors, when the German voice acting is so good?

I just wish they put more effort into voice acting, which adds so much to the immersion of the game.

Very few games have top quality voice acting (only ones i can think of are Delta Force BHD, Warcraft III)

Nearly all RPG's are ruined by poor voice acting. I just don't get it. The musical score is so good, everything is spot on, except voice acting. Why Why Why????
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:07 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Its not so much the acting is bad is more like every 3rd-4th person you talk to sounds like Xardas, Diego or Lord Andre (or versions thereof).

They say they used 12 people, feels more like 5 people lowering their voices lol
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:34 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Overall, I'd say the quality of the voice acting varies. At its best, it is good and at its worst it is somewhat sloppy. The voice of the hero seems to be good throughout but Shrapnel is right when he says they could have had just a few more actors. Xardas and Lord Hagen seem to be everywhere! I understand the realities of budgeting a game like this and its normal for voice actors to perfrom more than one voice, but just 1 additional one in the mix would have addded a lot.

It is still a fantastic game so far (in ch. 4) and the voice acting isn't bad enough that it distracts from the expereince.
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:05 pm
AnimalMother
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

One other game that had good voice acting, The thief series. I thought the voicews in that were excellent.
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:22 pm
Hagen
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

hmmm, I semi agree, some of its bad, there a certainly farmer that sounds absolutely stupid! lol, but most of its ok...
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:08 pm
scooter
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I never get tired of hearing that
"You Aint gettin in here my boy!"
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:05 pm
olaf73
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I cant stand Lee's voice, and that actor voices a lot of characters also.

olaf
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:45 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Heh the worst example of this is one of the farm girls is voiced by one of the male actors trying to sound female.... sort of. It really stands out as bad to me. Its a farm girl near the land owner, if anyone wants to find her
Ill have to check out her name next time im in that area.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:55 am
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, voice acting = expensive, and i guess rpg's tend to have rubbish voice actors because of their settings, Gothic 2 is set in medievil times, they hired american voice actors, but america didnt exist back then (well, no english speakers were there) so obviously the voices will not fit, they should ahve hired british voice actors, IMO it would have sounded alot better. It would have been good if they didnt have the same actor for both a lead role and citizens/farmers. And i agree lee, and a few other lead characters have terrible voices
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:16 am
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Nothing regarding the english voice acting was done right.
The translaters used British slang in the translations. Then Americans, that have never used words like "Fancy" and "Chap" before, were told to give a personality to the script.

What ended up happening was a lot of on-the-fly editing, which left many sentences incoherent. It also seems like entire dialogues were missing.

Gothic 1 had flawless voice acting and a beautiful script.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:29 am
Detori
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by FetishFool
What ended up happening was a lot of on-the-fly editing, which left many sentences incoherent. It also seems like entire dialogues were missing.

I also felt the same, I am slightly irritated by 'pubs' being called 'taverns' and some other inconsistencies...
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:06 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I don't tihnk I can agree that nothing is right with the voice acting in G2 and Gothic is perfect. The quality of voice acting in G2 does vary and there is a little too much repetition but overall it's quite satisfactory; apart from the repetition it's not that different to Gothic.

Bear in mind very few RPG's have full voice for every line; it's really quite ambitious for a small developer.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:07 am
olaf73
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I think the voice acting is better in G2 than G1, at least in the English versions. The voices are the same in many cases, but they seem to be more familiar with their lines and/or have more experience in reading them.

olaf
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:36 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

The voice acting was satisfactory. It'd still be satisfactory if only one guy and one girl did all the voice acting.

Apart from the not-so-great script, emotions weren't always portrayed.
If it wasn't for the emotes (eg: (angrily), (annoyed), (grumpy) ) that are throughout the subtitles, you'd never guess the character was angry, or annoyed through many of the conversations. Grumpy was depicted with a throat-clearing sound at the beginning of the sentence, most of the time.

But of course, most players have subtitles off. So they wouldn't have noticed any change in mood.

What makes Gothic so special is it's immersive dialogue. The storyline is pretty straight-forward, and it's not as open ended as other RPGs.
The voice acting needs to be something more than just satisfactory.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:11 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

I decided not to put spoilers here..afterall this is spoirless discussion..so that text of mine was a bit too much spoiler heavy

Last edited by Dez on Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:00 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next