FAQ
Members
Usergroups
MAJOR SPOILERS - Multiple Game Endings?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread

Hey All

Does it not say right on the game box that there are multiple endings to the game? I've been thinking about this. Are there really?
I played as an Old Camp Guard until I was exiled and joined the New Camp and became a water mage (of all things to switch to). I ended the game by stabbing 5 swords into the orc hearts in the sleepers temple.
The ending was the sleeper arch demon being sucked into an abyss and my character saying 'that was just the beginning of my adventure' and then i got credits (I was insanely dissapointed that NOTHING was explained about my character or what happened afterwards).
Did anyone else get a different ending by playing a different character class? Or by somehow doing something different to end the game (other than getting killed hehe). I'm just curious.

Thanks,
Mike D.
Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:24 pm

wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Nope, there are no other endings. Would have been really cool, wouldn't it? Might have made the second half as nonlinear as the first.

Saying there are multiple endings may have just been a sales ploy by Piranha-Bytes or Xicat. As with any game, you have to take the BS on the box along with the truth.
Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:31 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Here's the one I love to see on boxes:
"Hundreds of hours of gameplay"
Who?
When?
Unless the game is in another language, 35+hrs is as long as anyone 1 game has ever taken me, including the BG series
Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:34 pm
wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

Maybe put it in the hands of some chump who's never even played a computer game and he WILL take hundreds of hours. If he ever even finishes it.
Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:39 pm

ya i managed to finish the game in 32 hours and i spent a lot of time wandering around aimlessly looking for chests, ore and creatures to kill. i think i could probably finish the game in half that now that i know the quests.

Mike D
Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 4:13 pm

propellerhead
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

HEY! don't call newbies a chump! anyway, just when i become a watermage, I end up deleting the saved files and I restart the game to see how I could do things differently.

about the 20th time.....21 is going to be it to finish this darn game.

[ This Message was edited by: propellerhead on 2002-02-04 11:01 ]
Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 5:01 pm
wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

quote:

On 2002-02-04 11:01, propellerhead wrote:
HEY! don't call newbies a chump! anyway, just when i become a watermage, I end up deleting the saved files and I restart the game to see how I could do things differently.

about the 20th time.....21 is going to be it to finish this darn game.

[ This Message was edited by: propellerhead on 2002-02-04 11:01 ]

It's just that I think Gothic would be a little hard as someone's first computer game. You should have a little experience with more forgiving games before diving into Gothic and screwing everything up for yourself, i.e. by killing everyone you see or something.
Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 5:14 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Maybe put it in the hands of some chump who's never even played a computer game and he WILL take hundreds of hours. If he ever even finishes it.

I've played many computer games, and it took me nearly 100 hours to complete the game the first time through.

But I don't cheat or exploit game flaws in any way shape or form. So I spent a large portion of that time making money by selling weapons/swamp weed to the people of the factions.
Post Mon Feb 04, 2002 6:09 pm