Usergroups
Gothic was my curse... Help!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
jdmag26
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank you all... this place is great... i got a decent list of games plus now i know there's a Gothic III on its way

.... and that was way, way beyond my expectations...

To those of you who think the way you control your character doesn't make a difference... mmmm.... well... let me put it this way... have you ever being engaged on a fight?... very few things in life are more 'real' and 'inmersive' than a fight...

... to me, it makes the hell of a difference if you can control the character on this situations...and that's exactly one of the things i like the most about Gothic... i can see an Orc running to me, take my sword, get ready, hold for the right timing... that feeling... and he's caming right at me... but hold, not to soon, not too late... just hold... you know you're strong, but you know he is stronger... if he gets you, your history... so you just hold... hold... and then he trows a cut, strong enough to chop down a tree... and you dodge it... great!... perfect timing! ... now you take this you *#$%!..... and all this happens into this amazing world... a living whitness of this fight you just had... but now you don't have a healing potion, and you really need it, 'cause you know there are more orcs just ahead... so you start looking for some herbs, that you've come to know, talking to an old guy, have healing properties... and you know this fight meant something, it had a purpose, it's just a little step into your quest... still remember when i helped those two peasants to cross that forest... i was having second thoughts about it, but i felt like... 'what good is becoming this strong if you can't actually help others... ok, i can spend some minutes to helps these guys...' and it was great when the lady gave me that fine crossbow in return... now you tell me about 'inmersion'... the feeling of... 'great.. i'm good... my skills really helped these people...' as opposed to... 'ok, i'm very fast at clicking the mouse...'

wow... got carried away.... but that's only my point of view.

Anyways, thanks again for the good news... and sorry for all that previos non-sense...
Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:07 am
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
The only 'true' RPGs I know are pen and paper RPGs, but not because there's a certain way combat is handled - it's because of the immersion and atmosphere. For me, no video game even comes close, so for me, none of them are 'true' RPGs.

Generally, the definition of what makes a CRPG 'true' is personal - it's defined by what the player demands of a 'true' CRPG. Some people focus on immersion, some of stats-juggling, some on round-based combat, some on... whatever. For me, a 'true' RPG is not defined by the rules (which I don't care about), but if I feel drawn into a certain character role and if I have a certain degree of freedom to develop 'myself' as I see fit, then I'll surely get the gaming experience I want.

i have to agree whit you on that jaz
lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. the rset can be a
total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:57 am
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

@jdmag26
that has to be one of the best descriptions of the feel of gothic i've ever read
you really got the spirit
lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. the rset can be a
total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:03 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

@ Kraszu:

I can never understand why people always think that saying something is not a true rpg is an insult to the game. Its not, its just an obvious fact.

A true RPG is a game in which the players skills have nothing to do with the characters skills. You are playing a role and you cannot do anything that the character could not do. As Jaz said, pen and paper RPG's are probably the closest thing to this, but thats only if you have a DM thats strict.

An Action RPG on the other hand depends heavily on the players sklls and reflexes. this covers quite a wide range of games from Gothic to Zelda to Diablo. You may not like the term because it doesnt tell you much, but that doesnt stop Gothic from being one.

@ Jaz:

quote:
Generally, the definition of what makes a CRPG 'true' is personal - it's defined by what the player demands of a 'true' CRPG.

This is definately wrong. I define a true rpg as defined above. This is not what I *demand* from an RPG at all. I definately prefer the Gothic style of games over any other RPG style.

If that were true, then a true RPG is the same thing as that person favourite RPG style, which in my case at least, is not the case.
Post Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:49 pm
Dood
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Two games that I have really enjoyed since playing Gothic are Arx Fatalis and Sacred. I won't get into the argument about whether or not they are "like Gothic". Of the two, I think Arx Fatalis is the better game, though it takes place on a smaller world map than either Gothic or Sacred.
Post Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:26 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
This is definately wrong. I define a true rpg as defined above. This is not what I *demand* from an RPG at all.
But it's what you demand from a 'true' RPG .

Even though player skills won't affect character skills directly on a one-on-one base (at least not for the most part) in a pen&paper RPG, your character and his/her/its reception by other players is at least partially defined by and dependent on your ability to act and impersonate, and by your language skills. Your personality will define your character to a certain degree, no matter if you want it or not. Not that it was important to this thread.

Sorry about the diversion, I'll stop it here.
Post Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:59 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Thats what I was getting at when I siad you needed a strict DM. Depending on how "fleshed out' your character is before you start playing, you may or may not have the opportunity to allow your personality to define your character.

I know that generaly it does end up that way, but with a hardcore DM it shouldnt.
Post Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:50 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2